New to this forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

npbra

I am in the process of buying? a Class A and came across this site while doing some research.? Very interesting site and I am now a member.? I am a Lieutenant with our fire department and own a Renovating Company on the side.? Expect a very busy winter and am going to need a holiday in the spring, and seeing as I don't like to fly, driving is the only way to go.? This site is going to provide a ton of valuable info.? Thanks
Barry

Welcome to the R V Forum.  We enjoy meeting new friends and look forward to your participation.

Feel free to join in any ongoing discussion!

Enjoy the RV Forum!

Hi Barry. Let me add my welcome to Steve's. Which class A are you planning to buy?

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Great place to get answers to questions and to share information relating to the RVing lifestyle.

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find all your answers here. I agree driving is much better than flying. It's the only way to see this great country!!!

I am really confused about what to buy.  There are so many out there.  I need one that is capable of pulling my 20' enclosed race trailer with my drag car and parts, about 7000 lbs.  Not to sure if I need a slider or not.  But I do intend to read throught the posts to get opinions about which ones not to buy.

npbra said:
I am really confused about what to buy.  There are so many out there.  I need one that is capable of pulling my 20' enclosed race trailer with my drag car and parts, about 7000 lbs.  Not to sure if I need a slider or not.  But I do intend to read throught the posts to get opinions about which ones not to buy.

It is a daunting task to try to find just the right rig. By asking questions here you will be able to work your way through to an informed purchase. If you're going to be towing that much weight, my choice would be a diesel pusher though some of the newer gas models might be able to do the job. Many coaches come with only a 5000lb hitch. There are quite a few that now have 10,000 and 15,000 lb hitches. Our 2000 American Dream is capable of pulling 10,000 lbs though I haven't done it.

Sliders are quite nice today and certainly increase the resale value of the coach. They also increase the living space which is nice if you intend to spend any amount of time in the coach. There may be some very good buys on used coaches without slides. Pay attention to the carrying capacity of the coach along with the hitch rating. There are a lot of other things to look out for as well and I'm sure the rest of our members will jump in with their thoughts.

Any and all advise is welcome.  I am looking at 2006 Four Winds Huricane right now.  Has the Ford V-10 and new 5-speed auto.  According to web site it has the capabilities to handle my trailer.  Anyone have experience with this brand? 

The Ford chassis (amd the WorkhorseW22/24 too) has a 26,000 lb GCWR, which means that the motorhome must weigh no more than 19,000 lbs  [fully loaded] if you plan to pull a 7000 lb trailer.  That puts you down in the 30 foot size range on a Hurricane. Don't know if that is the size you were considering or not. 

I would be very much surprised if the Hurricane has a hitch strong enough for 7000 lbs, though. It's probably a Class III, rated at 5000 lbs. Besure to check on that.

The Hurricane is a vacation class rig, i.e. is intended for occasional use. Cabinetry and materials will be of a lessor grade than higher priced rigs.  That's probably OK given the usage you described, but if you are anticipating full-timing or extended travels, I would suggest for a mid-line rig even though it costs a bit more.

Personally, I would want a diesel pusher to handle a trailer that big.  I drive a gas rig myself and am not biased toward diesel, but with the kind of load you are talking about, a diesel will perform much better.  Don't be afraid to look at used ones - there are many excellent ones available.

Back
Top Bottom