new to truck camping, camper support question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wehrdo

Hi new friends, I just bought a 2006 Lance 815 to go on my 2002 f350 diesel. I am in the process of discovering all the new fun things that need to be fixed to bring it up to my standards. I am doing this work in my backyard on packed dirt.  In order to get the camper high enough on uneven ground to easily pull the truck in and out, I needed to stack the support posts on a piece of 4x4 redwood. This means that the foot sits off the ground on the wood, 4" up. The first thing I noticed is that my non-standard rims and slightly beefier tires (bigfoot all terrain) means that when pulling the truck out from under the camper the foot on the camper support threatened to slice the sidewall of my tire.  I got the truck out, barely. I am worried about trashing my sidewall when I pull back in. Is it a *really* bad idea to trim the one inch flange off the foot on the inside? If I did this, I would have the space to pull in without worry.  But by doing so how much am I harming my stability in the long term?
Thanks, all!
Kevin

Welcome to the forum. Should be no problem doing what you want to do. You may want to carry four pieces  of 2 X 6"  x 6" lg to put under each foot if you unload on soft dirt.

I have oversized tires on my Dually, do yourself a favor and buy swing out Jack brackets. Or if your handy, make a fixed extension out of angle iron or 2" flat stock depending on the orientation of the campers mounting brackets. This works if you only need a little extra clearance,,,gregg

Back
Top Bottom