New truck - transferring the WD hitch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J&DLV

We have just purchased a new truck as our F150 - while "able" to tow our new trailer - was a bit underpowered for comfort. When we bought the trailer a month ago, the dealer installed an Equal-I-zer WD hitch which we love. Now the new truck is a one ton 4x4 and sits a fair bit higher. Is it easy to adjust the hitch to work with the new truck, and are we likely to need to adjust the attachments for the sway bars - the part that's on the trailer tongue?

The trailer is at the dealer now having a minor repair done, and the dealer knows they owe us the manual for the hitch, so I don't have any reference to read!  Should we just have the dealer adjust the hitch when we pick the trailer up or is it easy to do ourselves?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Adjusting it yourself isn't difficult and is good training, since chances are you will want to fine tune after the dealer did it anyway.

Download your own copy of the installation instructions form the Equalizer website. Look under the Support tab for instruction manuals.
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

Thanks Gary - I thought about it last night and realized the manuals are probably online! One of the other customers at the truck dealer yesterday had another brand of WD hitch and he said you can flip it upside down so in essence it becomes a drop hitch. I'm pretty sure that's what we'll be doing as the n?e truck is quite a lot higher than the old banger!

As Gary mentioned - adjusting the Equal-i-zer is not difficult. I'm on my 2nd Equal-i-zer and 3rd truck since we've been towing and have made many adjustments from minor to complete removal & flipping the draw bar for a higher TT. The biggest obstacle is getting your hands on a 1-1/8" wrench and/or socket that you will need to remove the hitch bolts. Most people don't have tools like this on hand. They can be expensive (like any good tool) but are worth purchasing rather than try to borrow them when you need them.

he said you can flip it upside down so in essence it becomes a drop hitch.

That's just the ball mount portion of the hitch. The spring bars - the part that does the actual weight shifting - also have to be adjusted for a different vehicle. Also for changes in trailer load/balance.

Joe - thanks for the input. My husband is a car and plane mechanic so I'm guessing in his ridiculously large stash of tools, he probably has what we may need!

Gary - thanks for the clarification. I printed the manual last night and gave it to my husband for bathroom reading!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom