New updates for Garmin 2620

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Just a reminder for everyone with the 2620 to check the Garmin web site for updates.  Among the many updates, one of which was as recent as November 16, I see they fixed a problem with transfers of routes with multiple via points from Map source into the gps. 

A few months ago some here were claiming the 2620 could not interface with Map Source (and only the 2610 could)  and maybe this was causing you the problem.  I have never had a problem transferring routes, but then again I do not believe I had any routes with multiple via points.  Lots of other updates in recent months as well.  One big one is a voice update with a large 7 meg file.  I ran into a problem just yesterday in Goodyear AZ where "Rosy" told me to bear left and then turn right to destination when all I needed to do was turn right.  I am hoping the fix will fix this kind of problem.

The voice update is:

The new software is: StreetPilot 26XX Audio Package Ver. 2.20

You can download the new software from our website by clicking the following link:

? ? http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00357-03

Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:

*? Added Canadian French audio.
*? Added Portuguese audio.
*? Resampled 'meter' and 'kilometer' for Norwegian audio.

It won't fix the left/riht turn problem, I'm afraid.

I have not been able to find any way to install the City Navigator ver. 7 Update FOR THE 2620 to the computer.? Where did you find that option?

Unfortunately, the MapSource 6.9.1 is an update only.  You have to have a prior version of MapSource installed on the computer and the MapSource City Navigator for 2620 does not install to the computer, it uploads directly to the 2620 only.  For those running MapSource for other supported models can use this upgrade.  It's free so why not :)

The update for the 2620 firmware comes only 12 days after the previous release, ver. 4.40 and fixes:

Changes made from version 4.40 to 4.50:

* Corrected loss of route after Route Recalculation when the 'Ask My Preference' routing option is set to 'No'.
    * Corrected loss of mileage data between power cycles.

Serious bugs, but nice to see a quick fix.

Now if they will only get the City NAv software as accurate and reliable as Metroguide was.  That would be a real good fix.

p.s.  Ned, the improved transfer of route data between the Garmin 2620 and the pc is a biggie, at least for folks like me who save routes off unit onto the PC Mapsource.  Here is the full text of the update notice I received in email from Garmin:

Garmin is pleased to announce that new software is available for the StreetPilot 2620 GPS.

The new software is: StreetPilot 2620 Ver. 4.40

Garmin recommends that you install this software by using our WebUpdater software.  You can learn about WebUpdater on this page:

http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/

You can download the new software from our website by clicking the following link:

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00357-03

Changes made from version 4.30 to 4.40:

*  Improved route transfers from MapSource with multiple via points.
*  Added ability to disable remote control input: From any page, press  the 'Menu' key, then select 'Options'. Select the 'General' tab, then press the 'Menu' key. Select 'Disable Remote'.
*  Added support for Portuguese and Canadian French audio languages.

I have MapSource City Navigator for 2620 and can't find any installation option to put it on my computer.  You say you have done it and I would like to know how.  I don't see any way to do the routing on the computer, just on the 2620.

Ned:

Sorry for the confusion.  I already had Map Source installed on my PC from previous Garmin units.  As I think you already know you don't get separate software in the 2620 package, as the 2620 has it embedded.  Not sure what process can be used to move routes off an on the pc in that case unless one buys the Map Source package separately.  I believe the 2610 requires it in the original package as it does not have the software embedded in the gps unit.  Again, sorry for the confusion. 

Those of us who have been buying garmins over the years already have the basic package, thus this update is very useful for folks like me

Then I don't see any advantage to buying a separate version when the MapSource for the 2620 has everything and loads completely on the Street Pilot.  I'll save the extra $150 (or $75 now) and do my routing on the 2620.

I also doubt I would have gone out and paid for Mapsource had I not already had it.  Since I already had it though, it does help me in storing routes off line and playing with routes on my laptop.  Now if I could just find a way to interface DeLorme  or MSFT Streets with the 2620 <g>.  I hate closed systems.

It's easier to buy an older GPS to drive SA or ST than try to use the one unit for multiple functions.? We used a GPS II+ for years and now use a GPS III to feed SA.? It also gives Lorna a dashboard display of compass heading, true speed, and elevation.? The 2620 is dedicated to routing.

Ned:

I am not interested in using the 2620 to drive a notebook.  The reason I got the 2620 was to eliminate all of that.

However it IS nice to be able to do "off road" planning work on a notebook and then transfer the information to the 2620.  In my former message I was referring to that.  I don't like the fact that the 2620 only accepts Mapsource data (and maybe other Garmin software output) as input and not output from MSFT or Delorme.  At one time I found some third party software stuff that would translate other routing data into Garmin format  (used to do this a lot with my boat gps), but I have not seen any lately and I am guessing software is so complex now it is not worth the effort.

Smoky said:
However it IS nice to be able to do "off road" planning work on a notebook and then transfer the information to the 2620.  ...At one time I found some third party software stuff that would translate other routing data into Garmin format  (used to do this a lot with my boat gps), but I have not seen any lately and I am guessing software is so complex now it is not worth the effort.

Smoky,

I do a lot of planning/dreaming using S&T and have found no way to translate.  I've tried a lot of the 3th party software.

What I do is to bring up both MS & S&T in different windows; find the point of interest on both, then manually create a new waypoint in MS.  You don't really need the route, just enough waypoints that MS goes the way you want to.

I have an etrek legend.  I have uploaded waypoints from Delorme into the etrek, then downloaded into MS.

A 2610 with a 1 GB card (to hold all the maps) and separate Mapsource (on the PC) seems to me to be more flexible than the 2620. You can do route planning on the PC with the advantage of the larger screen and mouse, then transfer any desired waypoints to the 2610.  However, like Joel I find it easier to do my route investigations using S&T anyway, because simple things are really simple to do in S&T. Then I have to manually locate and establish a couple waypoints on the small screen (an SP III in my case, but not much difference).

On the other hand, the preloaded 2620 is really convenient!  Maybe it is six of one, half dozen of the other?

I do all our route planning using Street Atlas and run it while travelling in the motorhome.  The 2620 is used for navigation and we just let it calculate a route from where we are to our destination and I don't try to force it.  Sometimes it finds a better route than SA, sometimes not.  If we don't go its way, it recalculates.  And the biggest advantage is we can put it in the car, find our destination, and let it route us there.  No computer needed, no uploading needed, just push a few buttons and it's done.

Others have different modes of operation but this works well for us.

Ned said:
I do all our route planning using Street Atlas and run it while travelling in the motorhome.  The 2620 is used for navigation and we just let it calculate a route from where we are to our destination and I don't try to force it.  Sometimes it finds a better route than SA, sometimes not.  If we don't go its way, it recalculates.  And the biggest advantage is we can put it in the car, find our destination, and let it route us there.  No computer needed, no uploading needed, just push a few buttons and it's done.

Others have different modes of operation but this works well for us.

I agree with Ned. I never transfer routes or waypoints into my 2610. I just tell the 2610 where I want to go, insert a via or 2 and off I go. I do use Mapsource on my laptop along with S&T to preplan. S&T is easier to plan a route but can route me via routes I wouldn't want to drive the coach, so I check the route with Mapsource which keeps me on more truck friendly routes.

"You can do route planning on the PC with the advantage of the larger screen and mouse, then transfer any desired waypoints to the 2610. "

Well actually you can do the same with the 2620.  I should have been more clear why I do that.  I have over 300 local routes stored offline in the PC.  Since we travel so much I can't remember simple things like where the golf shop was a year ago in South Podunk.  So I offload and store a lot of local data.  For example, next year I won't get lost a half mile from Ron's place when we head for Montana <g>.

I am currently storing waypoints here around Phoenix which I will offload for storage when we leave in the spring.

On the long hauls I do what Ned does.  I use Delorme or MSFT to plan routes.  Then when we leave I let the 2620's "Rosie" yak at us while she adjusts to our pre-planned route.  Most of the time she agrees with the PC software and if not, one major route change and she is usually in synch.  That is what I love about the 2610-2620 series ... the ease with which it adjusts to impromptu navigation.

Does anyone here use DeLorne's Topo software when they travel?  We do, running on a side PC.  It is not what I would call essential software, but it is kind of enjoyable looking at how the topography is laid out all around us.  You cannot see that with the naked eye as nearby mountains block out what is beyond them.

Back
Top Bottom