New Vermont people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perk

Hi, I am Perk and my partner is Christine, we live in central Vermont and just bought our first motorhome. We are both just retired and will soon begin traveling to the southern climes durning the winter months. This has been a long time dream and it is finally here, so we will look to all you folks for help in the future for a little help and advice as we start our journey.

Thanking you all in advance,
Perk

Welcome, Perk.

Where are you planning to winter over?  Some areas get really busy especially Jan./Feb. so you may want to think about making reservations now.

Perk and Christine, welcome to our forum. Glad to hear you're about to realize that dream. Let us know if we can answer any questions.

Hi Perk and Christine,

Welcome to the RV Forum and congratulations on your purchase of your first motorhome.  Please ask any questions that you have, join in on any of the ongoing discussions, or start new discussions.  Thanks for joining us.

Hi to all, To answer your questions, we bought a 2002 Newmar Dutch Star 38' with two slides and hope that was the right decision. There are a few questions that come to mind: We are keeping our house in Vermont where, as you all know, it gets very cold in the winter and are wondering the best way to winterize our home. Is it best to have a 50 amp surge guard that is fitted insidr the coach or one that is portable? Best navigation product? Is a CB radio necessary?

Thanks for any help as we are really new to this,

Perk

Perk said:
Is a CB radio necessary?

Perk,

I'd say you would really benefit from having a CB radio. If you get into construction zones, the truckers all chatter about it and many a time we have avoided traffic by listening to them. We were  once driving  at night in NE and a trucker came on CB asking if we "had our ears on?"  We did and he told us we had no taillights, brake lights or running lights.  Good thing to know!  We got off  Interstate right away!  On this trip we are keeping in touch with fellow traveling friends using the CB.  The the CB can be used in emergency situations. Get  one is my opinion.

Betty Brewer

"Is it best to have a 50 amp surge guard that is fitted insidr the coach or one that is portable?"

Inside mount is harder to steal.
On my first coach, I mounted it in the electric bay and plugged the 50 amp cord into it there.

It is built in on my current rig. Unfortunately, it is in a hidden compartment, so I can't read the lights on it's face and only some of the warnings are spoken by the coach's brain box.

Perk said:
. Is it best to have a 50 amp surge guard that is fitted insidr the coach or one that is portable?

Perk

We first had a portable surge protector and it was a pain. If there was a problem, we'd have to go outside to the box to read the unit's error messages. And it wasn't fun lugging the portable in and out.

We changed to an internally wired model and much prefer it. We added the remote display unit so I have the readouts right at my desk. Much fewer problems.

Back
Top Bottom