New washer/dryer trips WH breaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the breakers are switched and the outlet at the washer plug is GFCI and hooked to a GFCI breaker it will trip Everytime. Can not have two GFCI on same circuit. Switch your hot wires on your brekers to the proper one. I bet it fixes the problem.

Thank Gary I will swicth the wires tonight. Also the outlet for the W/D is not a GFCI just the breaker it?s connected to.

It also suggest by the picture as Gary mentioned the ground wire looks like it is connected to the Netural bus bar going to the washer dryer. If there is move it to the ground buss. Hard to tell for sure but looks like it.

Thanks Ghostman, I think may just be the picture I do believe it is connected to the ground bar. It looks as though it double backs and is behind the green wire then goes up to the ground bar, but I will double check tonight for sure. Thanks again for the eyes

SeilerBird said:
I am union and I never would have done it that way. It had to look like a piece of art when I was done.  8)

I don't doubt that a bit.  :) It's just there was an opening, and I had to take it. ;D. I've seen work like that out of both union and non-union. Doesn't matter to me who did it, they need to take pride in their work.

Ok so here we are so far:
I switched the hot wires on the breakers for the W/D and WH.
Now the W/D works :) BUT!! Now the WH breaker still trips when the WH is turned on 120v. I can still run the WH on 12v though. So now why is that WH breaker still tripping? Bad breaker?

I would think that if it is a bad breaker it would trip with no wires connected to it. So remove the wire and see if the breaker trips when you turn it on.

I don't doubt that a bit.  :) It's just there was an opening, and I had to take it. ;D. I've seen work like that out of both union and non-union. Doesn't matter to me who did it, they need to take pride in their work.
I know you were just kidding. I saw the smileys. 8)

GFCI breakers and outlets are notorious for going bad. I would replace breaker. I would put a gfci outlet or breaker on washer.

ok so now the WH breaker is holding. Not sure why it was tripping. Not gonna call everything good just yet. Gonna keep an eye on it. Besides we still have to run a load of laundry through it still and make sure it works right.
Now I agree with Ghostman I wanna put that W/D on a GFCI breaker, though the W/D is on a double breaker with the microwave.
But either way I would like to thank everyone for helping out on this issue. Let?s hope it?s the end off the issue.

Wadoman said:
ok so now the WH breaker is holding. Not sure why it was tripping. Not gonna call everything good just yet. Gonna keep an eye on it. Besides we still have to run a load of laundry through it still and make sure it works right.
Now I agree with Ghostman I wanna put that W/D on a GFCI breaker, though the W/D is on a double breaker with the microwave.
But either way I would like to thank everyone for helping out on this issue. Let?s hope it?s the end off the issue.

Buy a spare breaker just in case.

Well that didn?t last long the WH breaker tripped again. Gonna try and replace the breaker today and see if that works.
On a high note the W/D is working like a champ so far.

Your water heater's  electric element may have developed a leakage path to the surrounding water and/or the water heater chassis ... that's what the GFCI breaker guards against.

Replacement elements are cheap and are available at most hardware stores. Just bring yours in and match it up.

Yeah Lou I understand that, but the fact that the WH breaker was initially wired to the W/D and was tripping and when I switched the wires so the W/D was wired to the W/D breaker and the WH was wired to the WH breaker it still tripped tells me it?s not the WH.
Well anyway I replaced the WH GFCI breaker with a new one and it?s been holding today for several hours, again I?m not gonna call it fixed yet until I give it some time, but all is good for now.
Thanks again guys

Well bummer, it lasted most of the day and then it tripped again.
This really doesn?t make sense to me. The GFCI breaker trips when it was wired to the W/D and it trips when it?s wired to the WH. And both work fine when wired to a standard 20A breaker. The breaker is good and the wiring is good (assuming). Just seems like the loads on both lines are to much or to sensitive for a 20A GFCI. I wonder how bad of an idea it would be to put a standard 20A breaker for the WH. We?ll frankly that?s how it?s been wired from the beginning.

Ok after some late night googling I think I may have found the issue. It looks as though the GFCI breaker was installed incorrectly and when I replaced it I just wired it up exactly as the old one. From what I understand the white wire coming from the GFCI breaker goes to the neutral bar and the white and black wires from the load go to their respective spots(white>silver, black>brass) on the breaker and of course the ground goes to the ground bar. Anyway mine has both white wires going to neutral. I will test that out in the morning.

To me, that decision must be made depending on access to the outlet. If the reset button were easily accessible, I would consider it. Personally, I like GFCI breakers more than the outlets. I've had to replace quite a few bad GFCI receptacles, but only a couple of GFCI breakers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom