New wheels might be fun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

Got my new tires today.  The 45-minute wait was about 44.5 minutes too long, because I had plenty of time to look at all the neat new wheels in the shop.  My wheels have chrome trim covers that are getting rough looking and require valve extenders even on the outside tires in back.  The front valves don't have extenders, but they're very difficult to reach through the covers. I'd like something attractive that is part of the tire rim, so I don't have a hubcap-like plate to remove or fool with.  Then the only valve extenders I'd need would be for the inside tires in back. 

What should I know before shopping for new wheels?  Do all 6 have to be replaced usually, or just the 4 outside ones?  Is there anything besides size that is an issue?  I will also phone the MH manufacturer to find out if they have any requirements and recommendations.

Does anybody sell wheels or recommend websites, makes, models, styles that might be a starting point? Tire size is 225/75 R16, if that's of any use.

--pat

Hi Pat,

I'm guessing new wheels would be aluminum like the diesel coaches. Very expensive! They would have steel valve stems and shouldn't require any effort to fill the tires. Rear inside dual would remain steel with extender. Can't think of any other kind that might be available but someone else might know. Don't even know if they make them for 16".

Wheels (rims) have a width as well as a diameter, so you need to make sure you are getting the proper size.  There is also a max pressure rating for the wheel/rim and possiby a max load rating (in lbs) as well, but I'm guessing that most any of them would be sufficient for your rig. It's generally only an issue with tires that require 90+ psi.

Since you have duals, you need to make sure there is some spacing between the inner and outer wheel - more is better. If the new heel is wider than the old one, make sure there is still some space in between. You can leave your old steel wheel on the inside dual and the spare, subject to the space concern.

Since you have (I think) 16 inch wheels, there should be quite variety available to you because fancy wheels are a popular item for light trucks and SUVs and most of those should be suitable for you as well. You could get chrome, aluminum, magnesium or various alloys.

Gary:  That's what I wanted to talk to Chinook about - what is required in the line of rims.  I'm not entirely sure they'll know or be helpful enough, but I imagine wherever I get the wheels should be knowledgeable.

I like the brushed look.  Nothing real shiny.  Not sure why I'm doing this, since I'm not a wheel cleaner.  They're just going to roll around in the dirt again anyway. 

I had thought instead of making the outer rim go with the exisitng inner that I'd replace both. Make sure everything has the right millimeters here and there. 

How is that 16" measured?

--pat

The 16" is the diameter of the rim.  Look at the tire size imprinted on the sidewall - it will read something like "235-80R16". The 'R' stands for 'radial' and the number following it is the required rim diameter for the tire.  The '235' is the tread width, but you need to know the width at the bead, where the tire seats on the rim. That will have to be looked up on the tire spec sheet, which the tire dealer should have (or you can find online). It will be something like 7.0 or 7.5  inches  (or metric equivalent).  Since you just bought tires, you need rims that fit the diameter and width of the tires you already have. And rims that can hold the pressure your tires require.

Chinook may be able to tell you the diameter/width of the factory equipped rims but that is not relevant since you are changing them.

You will be lucky if the rim shop people actually know anything about rims other than what is "sharp" or "cool". Insist that they look up the rim's tire width dimension and the max psi rating for the rim. I doubt if there will be a problem, but make sure before buying.

Pat

>>That's what I wanted to talk to Chinook about - what is required in the line of rims.<<

I doubt you will be able to talk to anyone as the plant is closed & pad locked & they are in bankruptcy proceedings.

Terry:? Sorry to hear that about Chinook.?My unit is old enough to be out of most of the warranty.?  Guess that's the end of the lifetime warranty on my fiberglass shell; although, it looks fine.  Interesting how news like that gives a quick feeling of insecurity.  Well, it changes my summer schedule a bit.  I was going to head up to Yakima from Moab to get a couple unimportant things done.

I'll save this discussion about rim sizing.? I'll be doing some research and shopping before I change these wheels.

--pat

Back
Top Bottom