New Winnebago owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike1245

Just wanted to introduce myself.  Just purchased 2006 sightseer 26P. Traded in a 30 foot class C that was 8 years old, make by Damon.  I am very impressed with the quality of Winnebago coaches.  The 26P that we have has the couch option with no Dinette.  This makes for lots of room in the living area with the slide out, and even nice with the slide in.  We always eat on TV trays at home so felt the dinette was just a waste of space.  I am surprised at the amount of storage in this motor home.  I have already taken out the TV thanks to all the advice I read on this forum it was fairly easy,except I am 67 and those old TVs are heavy.
Can any tell me if this coach might be prewired for a vent fan. unfortunately all the 12 volt fixtures close to the vent and switched.
Thanks for a great forum.
Mike

Welcome to the club. Having owned two Itascas, I am a loyal owner. I like the quality, too.

mike1245 said:
..We always eat on TV trays at home so felt the dinette was just a waste of space.

I've never been a fan of dinettes either!

..Can any tell me if this coach might be prewired for a vent fan. unfortunately all the 12 volt fixtures close to the vent and switched...

Interesting question.  I sort of doubt it - never have heard that being pre-wired, but stand by for other opinions.

Welcome aboard Mike!

We've been very happy with our Sightseer that we've had.

Like you never been a fan of the dinette and only needed it as an extra bed a couple of times so far.  We had a free standing dinette, and our next rig will have that or something other then a dinette like we have now.

Both my vents had fans, but in a previous RV I had to fish for wires.  I used a voltmeter, grounded one end and then use a needle/pushpin to check wires for power while things were unswitched, then found what it was tied into and used it.  It took 3 tries before I found a wire and tapped into that to add an extra vent fan.

Took delivery of 2012 View Profile Sept.29th.  Reading the Supplemental Manual I find my NEW unit is equipped with 2008 electronics.  The Dash Radio Jensen VR209TP and the Coach Stereo Jensen AWM970 are not compatible with any iPod or iPhone manfactured after September, 2008.  At Future Shop I was told most of the iPod models supported by my electronics are out of production or have limited storage capacity.  Why would Winnebago put obsolete electronics in a new motorhome?  My first NEW motorhome, what a disappointment.  I did my research, went to Forest City, saw the movie, did the tour, listened to the self professed talk of leadership in the industry, wow, what a shock.  I purchased a new motorhome with the, I think, reasonable expectation it would be equipped with the latest equipment and technology.  Winnebago makes no mention of this obsolete equipment in its print ads, brochures or website.  You learn only after taking delivery of the motorhome.  In mid summer they replaced the VR209TP with a newer Jensen JRV212T that does support the latest technology, however the AWM970 continues to used.  These units are incompatible with one another, the 970 is still 2008.  After many communications via Email, phone and badgering from my dealer, Winnebago is replacing my Dash Radio.  What they sent was just the radio, none of the wiring harness or cables required to do an exchange with the 209.  We had to go direct to Jensen to order the missing pieces.  It is unfortunate that Winnebago chooses to put their ethics and integrity to question when they produce such a fine motorhome like the View Profile.  I truly like my new motorhome, but the manufacturer, not so much.

Welcome Dave!

They are using up their parts inventory to keep production costs down.  I noticed the glass TVs in our then new coach were a year or so old, plus this was in the era of the transition to digital TV so I was stuck with old technology. 

As John says, they buy truckloads of components to keep costs down, then use them over a year or so. Motorhome production is not such a high volume that new batches of electronic gadgets arrive every day.

And maybe they got a close-out deal on leftover Jensen products!

Thanks for your comments John & Gary, what really irritates me is this isn`t one year out of date, it`s four years.  I understand the economics of the manufacturing process, but not giving a buyer full disclosure of a units shortcomings robs the buyer of the opportunity to make an informed decision.  While from a manufacturers prospective it makes business sense, it can also be a mindset that ultimately could have grave consequences for the company.  Case in point, Kodak, top fifty company once, now trading around $ .70.  It is my hope that informed Winnebago buyers of the obsolete electronics inundate customer relations with requests for an explanation and some form of adjustment.  I was at my dealer today to finish the installation of my updated dash radio, Winnebago for the second time sent the wrong cable!!!

Just to let you know, when I called customer relations ( following an Email outlining my concern ), a gentleman told me that Winnebago conducts constant surveys to find out what their buyers want in their motorhomes, according to their surveys, customers want the units they were currently installing in motorhomes.  In other words, customers requested obsolete, outdated electronics installed in their units.  Rest assured I was not asked to complete a survey!!

We to had the same problem and called the radio manufacture and was told the same thing.I will be 53 in the end of November and we special ordered our coach.We can still play our I pod through the ear phone jack of the I pod and a male to male cord bought at Radio Shack. But if they want to want to sell coaches to us younger Boomers they are going to have to make a better effort to meet the younger customers needs.I had a old I pod and the song list did come up on the screen.How much more would it have cost Winnebago to offer two choices of radios one for the older crowed that dose not care about I pods and smart phones.  I think a  up graded radio for us younger folks that want the latest stuff should be offered as a option.I do use my I phone and plug it into the jack and have the NFL ticket and listen to my team through the coaches speakers going down the road but the wife would not let me take a look at the screen even at a stop light . I think change takes time and  when enough people complain about out dated radios things will change. They do have a newer radio for around 400 dollars and down the road I think I will up grade mine . The only problem is the deck is also my dvd player two so I wold have to stay with the same company to get a replacement radio and have the factory wires to work.

The three radios on our queen-of-the-fleet Horizon are so-so quality.  I've toyed with the idea of replacing the dash radio but the only use it gets is in the Aux position for the XM radio head.

Having optional electronics available is a great idea. 

It's not uncommon to upgrade the electronics in brand new cars, however most of them have a standard DIN size. Using standard DIN size and a moderately priced radio would satisfy those that don't want high quality sound or other features and still allow those that do to upgrade to what they want.

I checked Jensens website and found the 970 model Winnebago is currently installing was upgraded by Jensen to a 975 which is compatible with all current iPod & iPhone electronics.  According to the pricelist, it is $12. cheaper than the obsolete 970.  I think Mike had it right, Jensen on a clear out sold remaining stock to Winnebago at a firesale price.

I am happy with the purchase of my 1st Winnebago RV the 'Vista' 26P.

I really wasn't happy with the placement of my 32" t.v. flat screen mounted on the wall [above and between] the 2 cockpit captains chairs.  I would perfer the t.v. location on the slideout wall adjacent to the kitchen dinette table.  Easier viewing with a lower mounted t.v.

Anyway, I walk into my RV one morning to open-up the front window 'wrap-around' inner curtain, bent forward over the steering wheel and ripped a 3" laceration on my right side forehead when I came in contact with the left [sharp] plastic lower corner of the flatscreen t.v.  Man, I started to bleed like a stuck tuna... All I was worried about was blood staining the carpet on the cockpit floor which I was able to avoid by dashing out the side entrance...

Like I said, I didn't like the placement but it was my fault so I will live with it.

The scar on my forehead is a reminder THAT won't happen again...

The fuzzy side of Velcro is an amazing cranial deterrent where needed. Enzymes do an equally amazing job job with blood (been there).

PS- That's quite a sig !  :)

Ouch!  When we started shopping for our coach, it didn't take me long to figure out I did not want a TV over the dash (but I have whacked my head on the bedroom slide - I usually do that once a year  ::) .)

:)  Hi, John...

I think the placement of the t.v. in my 'Vista' 26P is really awful.  For the very reason I stated in my above post... The corner of the t.v. will open-up your head like you were just given a frontal lobotomy.  :eek:

But you 'live & learn' in the RV world and when I purchase my next Winnebago (probably a 32 footer) I'll make sure I have the flat screen mounted closer to the dinette area to avoid any possible future sutures...

'Baghdad Bill'

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom