new with RV Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc

We are Marc and Caroline
and live in winter in Florida and summer in Switzerland where our residence is and we are citizen of.
Over the last years, we always rent a RV, but now we are looking forward to buy a new or good used one.
Looking for a Diesel Pusher appr. 38-40ft.

What we dont understand, when we talk to RV dealers, they give you a discount appr. 30 % from the MSRP.
Is this what they normally do or how much is it ?
We looked to good preowned 2005 and the asking price is appr. the net-price of a newone.
So, with other words, if you trade your RV in after appr. 1-2 years, you have to take off appr. 40-50% from the MSRP listprice as the tradein price ?
Is this realistc and will someone be so kind and give us some information about this.
Hopefully you understand what we like to say, because English is not our mother language.

Marc and Caroline

Marc:

We have always purchased 2-3 year old M/Hs and have usually paid 50% of MRSP  or less.

Marc and Caroline,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Glad you found us. I'm sure you will get some good responses to your questions.

Hi Marc and Caroline!

I've only owned one RV, so my comments are more related to what others have said on this forum, and my experience in buying new and used cars. For the most part, the MSRP is merely a starting point. Only the naive or very rich would ever pay that price. Typically, a new RV can be had for about 25% less than the asking price. Used RV's are no exception - whatever is asked for it, you can expect to pay about 20-25% less. This of course depends upon it's condition. If it has been well maintained and shows little wear, you can expect to pay somewhat more. New RV's depreciate rapidly during the first few years, so if you are planning on buying new, you would be wise to plan on keeping it for several years before trading or selling. Otherwise, you may find yourselves owing more than you get from the sale or trade-in. 

Many other Forum members have owned several different rigs over the years, and can give you much more specific information than I. I'm sure they will post their experiences soon, and may correct any wrong information I may have given :)

Back
Top Bottom