New York route options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

We plan to travel East to West across NY next week in our Class A w/ TOAD and have the option of taking either 90 (Thruway) or 86. Other than the obvious expense of the Thruway, any insights as to how the two routes compare?

Either route is fine, and you'll have no issues. Both roads are in good shape.

I-86 is more scenic and has slightly less truck traffic.

I-90 has more rest areas/fuel stops.

When we travel to Maine we take 86 it is alot more scenic. If we take 90 we get on  at Rochester and the toll is $50 to
Albany
90 is only about 30 miles shorter to Albany.

HappyWanderer said:
Either route is fine, and you'll have no issues. Both roads are in good shape.

I-86 is more scenic and has slightly less truck traffic.

I-90 has more rest areas/fuel stops.

Great-- good to hear. We'll be coming down I-88 in that case to pick up I-86. Looks like once we get by the never-ending construction around Binghampton it will be clear sailing.

darsben said:
86 much more rural. There are a few stretches that have not been converted to interstate, Major construction in BinghaMton. But still a nice ride

Thanks-- rural works for us.  :)

90 is smooth sailing with very little construction right no and has rest stops with food, restrooms, gas etc but it will also cost you because it's a toll road.
86 is free and has exits labeled for food gas but like others have said, that Binghamton contraction and traffic is a bear. I personally hate driving through there and would sticl to 90 but it's a personal opinion.

Route 17/86 has always been my favorite. I use it to bypass I-80 in PA, dropping down I-90 to Ohio then continuing west. It's also my preferred route to Niagra Falls.

Binghamton construction is only a minor bump on the trip. Less of a delay than when Route 17 took you right down Main Street of all the towns along the way!

I had to run to Syracuse Fri for work.Rochester to Syracuse its a boring ride.
We made the trip 88 -86 to and from Maine in August. The construction around Binghamton was nothing and probably winding down now.
We like to stop at Cobleskil Walmart pretty quiet for a Walmart

Back
Top Bottom