New York state campground advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

si camper

We are planning a possible trip to upstate New York next Fall and we're looking for a little advice on the best window of time to view the Fall colors and recommendations on a good campground(s).  I know its early but our group needs to start coordinating vacation time and looking at reserving camp sites before they possibly fill up.

One of the difficulties in trying to plan a trip to see fall colours, is that it is so dependent on not only a frost/cool weather but also the amount of sun shine over the previous few months.  So, peak colours often vary a few weeks one way or the other.  For example, here in Maritime Canada we went from full green to full colour in less than a week, just this past week.
    Try to allow a bit of time flexibility if possible.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    One of the difficulties in trying to plan a trip to see fall colours, is that it is so dependent on not only a frost/cool weather but also the amount of sun shine over the previous few months.  So, peak colours often vary a few weeks one way or the other.  For example, here in Maritime Canada we went from full green to full colour in less than a week, just this past week.
    Try to allow a bit of time flexibility if possible.

Ed

I know that mother nature will definitely have her way but we'd like to play the averages and hope for the best.  We just got back a couple of weeks ago from a trip to Wyoming and Colorado and I think we hit that trip just right.  The aspens in change were beautiful.

For NY, I would say NOW is the time. We passed through there 3 weeks ago and the turn was just starting.  Now we are in Virginia and are seeing definite early colors here as well, so further north it should be coming into prime time. The northern part of the state, e.g. Adirondacks, will typically be earlier than southern NY and the Hudson Valley.

Usually the colors are best about the 2nd week of October.  We often take a fall color drive up to the 1000 Is about then.  It can vary +/- a week or two depending on the weather and the location in the state.  By the end of October the leaves are mostly done and on the ground.  You can monitor the color peaks on color map, several other similar pages may exist.

Sounds like the 2nd week of October might be a pretty good target date.  Any advice on campgrounds in and around the Adirondacks?

I'm from NY so here goes, For upstate mountain region last week of Sep thru 2nd week of Oct. For NY Pa border area 1st thru 3rd week of Oct, for down state Catskills area 2nd thru 4th week of Oct.

si camper said:
Sounds like the 2nd week of October might be a pretty good target date.  Any advice on campgrounds in and around the Adirondacks?
The Adirondack Park is roughly the same size as the state of Vermont. Can you narrow down the area you'd like to camp in a bit?

NY_Dutch said:
The Adirondack Park is roughly the same size as the state of Vermont. Can you narrow down the area you'd like to camp in a bit?
  I guess my inquiry is vague but I'm totally unfamiliar with any of the state.  We like to set up at a base camp and take day trips from there.  A 100 mi. is nothing out of the ordinary for us.  Then maybe move to another base camp.  As a preliminary plan and taking time constraints into consideration, I'm looking at the Watertown and/or Glens Falls area as the outer limits of our base camps.
  I'm from Southern Illinois and I get the impression from some that everyone from IL is from the Chicago area and I believe the same is true for New Yorkers with regard to the New York metro area.  I have talked to people about New York and have been told that the state has much more to offer than just the metro area.  This is what I want to see and I don't mean to take anything away from New York city with my comments.

I suggest the area around Lake George, which is a popular destination area north of Albany. There are several campgrounds there and they will be open at this time of year. The Lake Champlain & Lake George & Scroon Lake region is beautiful at any time of year and  Vermont as well as much of the Adirondack region is well within 100 miles.  The area is easily reached via I90 and I 87 North, known as the Adirondack Northway. Also, be sure to visit Blue Mountain Lake (village, lake and Adirondack Museum).

http://www.lakegeorge.com/camping/
http://www.visitlakegeorge.com/camping

Gary RV Roamer said:
I suggest the area around Lake George, which is a popular destination area north of Albany. There are several campgrounds there and they will be open at this time of year. The Lake Champlain & Lake George & Scroon Lake region is beautiful at any time of year and  Vermont as well as much of the Adirondack region is well within 100 miles.  The area is easily reached via I90 and I 87 North, known as the Adirondack Northway. Also, be sure to visit Blue Mountain Lake (village, lake and Adirondack Museum).

http://www.lakegeorge.com/camping/
http://www.visitlakegeorge.com/camping
  Thanks for the tips.  I wondered about the Lake George area and you helped me confirm it as a good place to start.

I agree with Gary, the Lake George area would be a good fairly central location with a good variety of camp grounds to pick from. RVParkReviews.com would be helpful in making a selection. Our base cottage is not far from there on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake, and we are currently at about 90% of peak color.

If you do go near the Lake George area, take a drive up to see Lake Placid, where a couple of Winter Olympics have been hosted, and the home of the "Miracle on Ice".  It is a cute little town.

Ed

Looks like the Lake George area has a lot to offer.  Thanks for all the help.

I would plan on the first week of October, The Schroon Lake area is the place to be. Great location and easy to hit all areas of the Adirondacks from. Several nice campgrounds to pick from as well.

Many upstate campgrounds as well as state parks close after Columbus Day weekend.  You might have to hunt around for a park if you go after The holiday weekend.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom