Newbie afraid to motor home in new england states congestion, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Green

I have a 35' Class A that i have been out west in, (last year) This is the only major trip I've had, and now I would like to go to the New England States for a few weeks, but have been warned of so much traffic and congestion, that I am beginning to fear the trip.? For instance, getting into a tight spot with the dinghy, and having to unhook in heavy traffic, unnecessary tolls, bad roads, etc, etc. Can someone tell me if the fear is justified, or else.? I'll try something else for this trip if it's too hectic for a newbie. Thanks anybody!.? :p

We have travelled in New England with our 38' motorhome and toad and never had to unhitch to get out of a bad spot.  It does take some planning of your route, but it's not that difficult to get around that part of the country.  You do want to avoid the big cities with the motorhome.

Shouldn't be a problem.  We have driven our 40 ft American Eagle around some of the New England states and on down to Florida and like Ned never found it necessary to unhook the toad to get out of difficulty.  Plan ahead and avoid the big cities.  Park the motorhome outside the big cities and if you want to visit drive the toad in.  Relaxe and enjoy.

No problem and Ron and Ned state,  Stay out of the big cities.  I have a 37' MH and pull a 24' enclosed trailer with a vehicle inside,  plus the hitch and reciever, makes 65' and I make it.  So you should have no problem.  Just always be laert of where you are.  Good Luck

What states and which roads are you expecting to visit?  We have traveled in all the New England States, except for Rhode Island and have not experienced difficulty with our 40 foot coach and toad.  We've traveled on interstates as well as secondary roads in Vermont, Maine, Mass and New Hampshire and have never been in a difficult situation.

Even if you have to drive in a town, the roads are generally built to accommodate buses, so as long as you have a good map or preferably a Trucker's Atlas for info on road restrictions or overhead clearances you should not be concerned.

Do you travel with a GPS system which can alert you to one way streets and dead ends?  If not, consider getting GPS for your travels.  For motorhome travel GPS is an invaluable tool and can be had for as little as about $100 if you use your laptop and a system like Delorme or similar.

As for traffic congestion in cities, you need to plan your timing, and travel off peak hours should solve that problem.  Listen to local radio stations for traffic reports, but timing your travel is your best strategy.

I live on the MA-CT border.  The only place I avoid is New York City.  Enter New England via I84 or I90.
Be sure to visit Plimouth Plantation, and maybe Salem.

Never been to New England with my Motor home.. Have pulled a trailer there though.

I have just two suggestions.

1: AVOID RUSH HOUR, around 7-9 am and 3 or 4 to about 6 or 7 pm,  Evening rush hour is the worst

2: If you have to go into town, use the towed (Or bikes if close enough)

I've driven thousands of miles both pulling a trailer type camper and driving a motor home and as long as you avoid cities during rush hour you won't have nearly the congestion you fear... Though parking in Philadelphia PA was a problem no matter the hour (I actually parked illegally and beat the tow truck to the car by about 5 minutes)

Thanks to those that replied to Newbie in New England. I feel better now..

This coming week we will be checking out some of the roads in Northern Vermont.? Check our trip log in the forum trip log section a week from now.

Good Idea to read and follow Smoky's log, cause he's in that area the past couple of weeks. Normally he's quite caucious. He's driving a 40 footer and towing a Taraus wagon.  That should give you some idea.  Just avoid the big towns.

Steve and John,

As for traffic congestion in cities, you need to plan your timing, and travel off peak hours should solve that problem.
AVOID RUSH HOUR, around 7-9 am and 3 or 4 to about 6 or 7 pm,  Evening rush hour is the worst
You've obviously not traveled much around the Chicago area - There are no rush hours or off-peak travel times. It's congested 24/7, but sometimes you can breeze right through without a hitch. I seem to remember doing that once, oh, about 15 years ago  ;D ;D

Karl said:
Steve and John,
You've obviously not traveled much around the Chicago area - There are no rush hours or off-peak travel times. It's congested 24/7, but sometimes you can breeze right through without a hitch. I seem to remember doing that once, oh, about 15 years ago  ;D ;D

I have traveled in, through and around Chicago on a number of occasions.

IN, only with a car or pick up truck, and the first time I had professional help, Around and through via Freeways and I've never had a problem with congestion  The last few times IN the city have been by car and again I never had a problem, no worst than I'm used to and on two of those occasions I was traveling by map or map/GPS so I did not even know where I was going.  But got there w/o incident

I second what Karl said!

About this time last year, on our way to Montana, we approached Chicago on one of the Interstates.  Rosie (my gps girl) asked me to leave the Interstate we were on, to take another Interstate, and then rejoin the first Interstate about 25 miles down the road.  I said, "What?  Leave this road, and then return to it later?  Naw.  I will just stay on this road and simplify things."

Ten minutes later we were in downtown Chicago, with 18 wheelers on either side of us.  The Admiral got up out of the shotgun seat and went to the back of the bus, moaning,"I am sick in my stomach and cannot watch this fiasco."

I learned that day not to question the wisdom or Rosie when she is attempting to route a bypass.  ;D

We are so glad you asked that questions. We are new to RVing and planning a New England trip this August.  We were able to get some very good information from the responses to your post. We are planning to go from Lake George to Vermont, ME, and back to NJ  along the coast avoiding Boston and NYC. Thanks. Safe travels.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom