Newbie at 65 y.o

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PDX1953

I live in McMinnville, OR (home of Evergreen Aviation where the Spruce Goose lives) and am a retired Software & Mechanical Engineer.
Last year I decided to have a mini toy hauler built to my specs & Dunesport in Mesa did a pretty good job although it's no real high end trailer. I got the ramp door b/c I have a Segway based wheelchair I use on & off and at the time thought I'd be using my Ford Flex to tow it. Ford claims it'll tow #4500 but there's a big difference between 'can you' and 'should you.' I drug it back to OR with the Flex & immediately started looking for a pickup. I found a 2005 2wd F-150 with under 60,000 miles & bought it from the late owner's daughter. He kept it maintained & I have a stack of receipts from the dealer who ripped him off on a regular basis. It came with the Ford Class IV tow package (trans cooler, 3:55 limited slip rear end, & a 36 gallon tank.) For some reason the transmission was rebuilt with HD parts a year ago & he only drove it 1400 miles until I got it.

I left off the 13.5k BTU A/C unit because the entire trailer is 540 cubic feet. I'm using an 8000 BTU room A/C vented through the side but can only use it on shore power or with the propane fueled 3100 watt Champion generator/inverter that rides in the back of the truck. I had a bed slide installed along with an aluminum contractor style canopy minus racks & side windows. Now the wheelchair will use a hoist & ride back there. The canopy was painted to match the truck so it's nice looking.

The rainy season in OR is pretty depressing & that was one of the reasons I decided to take this path. I had a custom Twin size Murphy Bed built that folds down from the right side. It has 50 gallon fresh, grey & black water tanks & I upgraded to two 30# bottles on the front. The genset has its own 30# bottle & should run for 25 hours minimum in eco mode. The trailer has a 24" x 36" tub & separate toilet & I upgraded the water pump, added an accumulator tank & a 10 gallon water heater. I'm adding a microwave this weekend & it has a double door 6 cf fridge with separate freezer. There's a full screen across the back so I can turn the ramp into a patio by using two #1000 straps with safety hooks from Strapworks. I use D-rings so when the trailer is level so is the patio. One 200ah AGM Renogy battery & one of their 2000w pure sine wave inverters. I swapped all the lights to LEDs & have a wireless rear facing camera that's on constantly & displays on a monitor in the cab. It'll work with up to 4 cameras & is also a DVR. A Viofo A119 v2 dash cam w/ GPS & data logger pretty well round out the options. The pickup is an extended cab & I'd love to remove the rear seat entirely & convert it all to storage. Maybe later.

Sounds like you have covered the bases! We'd love to see some pics! You mentioned the Oregon rainy season weather. I live in Dallas, OR, so I hear ya. Are you planning on snowbirding, or just making occasional runs over the Cascades to where the sun shines all year? Either way, enjoy your new rig. You're in for some great new adventures. Hope to see you down the road.

My plan is to travel about 9 mo/yr but since I'm new at this we'll see how that works out. I have friends who are a lot younger & they're full-timers & I sort of got the bug from them. I've been in 47 of the 48 but it was for business so now it's time to actually see what it looks like at ground level. My family traveled a lot when I was young but I haven't been to the Grand Canyon since 1959. Same with Yellowstone I think.

Remember Grandma Moses started at 78 so you are way ahead of the game.

I'm trying to visualize a  Segway based wheelchair and I can't do it. We have ridden  Segways at various  locations all around the country. 

Is there any chance you could post a picture of it or a link to a website that shows one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_246123939&feature=iv&src_vid=z8QZ0HEoZHQ&v=HBWa7frO9sg

The guy riding the chair is also the inventor. The seat was built in Greece and various types of these chairs are made all over the world - just not in the USA. I bought a used Segway with only 466 miles on it (many used ones are off-lease tour units with 4500+ miles) for $2800 which is a real good deal. The seat was an additional $5500 and the total - $8300 - is the second least expensive option.

There's a unit from the UK that runs $23,000 but if I really wanted the latest/greatest I'd get an Igo from New Zealand. A guy designed one for his friend so they could bow hunt together & it turned into a business but they're $18,000 and were launched in the US last November.

Mine has "enhanced traction" tires but not the big fat ones. If I just bolted on a set of the big ones the motor controllers would burn out & it'd cost me $2000+ however if I ship a stripped base to Segway they'll reprogram it for $200(?) and it'll use both types of tires. A disadvantage with the big tires is they're a lot heavier, won't fit through a 36" door & only have 1/2 the range (normal range is approx 25 miles on a full charge) of the narrow tire model. I've gone as fast as 14 mph on mine but it scared the crap out of me b/c in order to go that fast you have to lean way forward. Once you get past a certain point the Segway thinks it's falling over & automatically tips in the opposite direction. Meanwhile I'm still leaning forward so it began oscillating and that was extremely unnerving so I've decided to keep it down to a max of 9 mph.

One of the biggest mistakes Segway owners make is they don't leave them plugged in. After a while the lithium batteries discharge past the point of no return & a replacement set is $2000 minimum.

My photos are too large so I'll try to put them in Photobucket & will give you a link.

WOW that is amazing. I had no idea they had something like that.

I assume you got a toyhauler to make it easier to load and unload the Segway?

Thanks for posting that link.

Yes - 7' x 12' with the frame extended 12".

I'll get some photos posted in Photobucket & give public access but it'll be a couple of weeks.

PDX1953 said:
Yes - 7' x 12' with the frame extended 12".

I'll get some photos posted in Photobucket & give public access but it'll be a couple of weeks.

I used to post on here with Photobucket but discovered, (actually was asked to) that reducing the files size helped.

When the files are large some on the Forum do not open them because many people on here carefully manage their data allowance.

A better method is to reduce the size of your pictures buy using something like "PC Paint" to reduce to to 25% and then post them using the attachment feature below.

Hi and welcome.  We loved McMinville, that is a great museum.

Sounds like you are in for some lovely sunny weather when you head out.  Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom