Newbie considering camper travel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trigg

Newbie here, considering striking out on my own since hubby hates travel.  This looks like a wonderful place to learn.

Welcome to the site! I am new here too, but not new to camping.

A cousin of ours camps in a vintage camper by her self all the time. She is a part of some women's camping groups, as well as some vintage camper clubs. From what I hear they have a blast when they are out at their meets and rally's.

Happy Camping!

Thanks.  My husband seems to be coming around to the idea, especially if we can take the dogs with us.

Hi and welcome to the forum.  I am sure your husband will come around when he sees how wonderful it can be getting out into the wilderness with the pups.

Good luck!

Thanks.....still reading, looking, considering.  DH seems more amenable to the idea of traveling in an RV.

Welcome! I camped for years (first tent then pop up) without my husband, he was dead set against camping. So I took my kids (I don't know what I was thinking, I had 3 in diapers when I started) and the kids loved it so I went often. Then after he left I got a TT and then a motorhome (picked it up this past Saturday) it's just been the kids and I all along. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

My current wife is another of those that is not fully into the whole RV travel thing yet, since buying my current coach (28 ft class A) about 2 years ago, she has only travelled with me about 1/3 of the time, the rest has either been solo or with my college age son from my first marriage.

In my travels have have met number of solo RV'ers both men and women, and even from my own travels I find a 28 ft coach to be more than spacious enough, if I were on my own I could probably be happy with a 22-24 class B / B+, though I might miss the cargo carrying capacity of my current coach.

Picking the right type of RV is all about knowing how you will use it, do you want a trailer of some type or a motorhome.  Lots of times a trailer makes a certain economic sense, particularly if you already have a vehicle to tow it with.  Personally I like the ease of motorhome travel, pull into a roadside rest area, get out of the drivers seat walk back to the kitchen fix a sandwich, eat lunch, prop my feet up for a bit, watch tv,  and go back to the drivers seat and hit the road for another couple of hours without ever stepping outside.

One word of caution don't listen to salesman when it comes to towing capacity, they will gladly sell you a 35 ft travel trailer and tell you that you can tow it with a mini-cooper, as long as it had enough power to pull the trailer off the sales lot.

p.s. if you know you will be travelling solo, take this into consideration when looking at floor plans, and general RV layout.    Earlier this year I did a  2 week solo trip and on about day 9 or 10 I realized I had only sat in 3 of the 7 available seating positions on that trip (sofa, drivers seat, and rear seat at the kitchen table, the rest were a complete waste of space for me when travelling solo, two weeks ago my wife was with me on a 10 day trip, and on this trip all 7 available seating positions were used by one or both of us nearly daily.

RVMommaTo6 said:
Then after he left I got a TT and then a motorhome (picked it up this past Saturday) it's just been the kids and I all along. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Wow -- that's great.  Are you living in it full-time?

Isaac-1 said:
Picking the right type of RV is all about knowing how you will use it, do you want a trailer of some type or a motorhome.  Lots of times a trailer makes a certain economic sense, particularly if you already have a vehicle to tow it with.  Personally I like the ease of motorhome travel, pull into a roadside rest area, get out of the drivers seat walk back to the kitchen fix a sandwich, eat lunch, prop my feet up for a bit, watch tv,  and go back to the drivers seat and hit the road for another couple of hours without ever stepping outside. 

This is exactly what I envision, with the pets inside.  So many people have recommended a travel trailer to me, and that just wouldn't fit us.  Class B's are out, too.

Since my first post above, we've had a lot of discussion, have continued to read and look at different models online, and my husband seems more amenable to travel, but there are a lot of things to decide.  I started another thread about Class C's, which he is leaning towards right now, if we can find a good enough deal, or possibly renting. 

Renting can be a great way to try before you buy, even though it can look expensive, there are a lot of hidden cost to motorhome ownership (insurance, storage, periodic maintenance, repair, upgrades, etc.).  I don't know your situation, but this is particularly true for people that have limited vacation days even at $300-$400 per day, it may be cheaper to rent than own if you are only going to use it a week or two per year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom