Newbie from South Jersey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatObsession

Greetings all!

My name is David and I am currently residing in South Jersey.? I am new to the RV world.? Never spent time in one yet.? I plan to rent one for a couple of vacations later this year to get some feel for it.? After months of researching I decided to purchase a 5er sometime in 2007 after more research (never enough research).? Thanks to this wonderful community I already narrowed it down to 2 brands.? I am planning to go full time with my cat Cleo as soon as possible.? Looking forward to the PA show later this year.? Hope to meet some of the great online folks at the show.? I am a computer geek by trade and love all techie things.

Can't seem to find any local RV'ers but I am sure that will change.

This site is incredible.? So many friendly and helpful people.? So much knowledge.? This is quickly becoming a new favorite.?

Take care,

CatObsession

Welcome to our forum. Great photo of Cleo.

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Glad you found us.  Lot of experience among the members here so ask any questions you have and we will try to provide the answers.

CatObsession said:
Looking forward to the PA show later this year.  Hope to meet some of the great online folks at the show.  I am a computer geek by trade and love all techie things.

Can't seem to find any local RV'ers but I am sure that will change.

Don't confine yourself to a PA show. Is that the Vally Forge or Harrisburg show, big difference. Look at following link for more shows.
http://www.macevents.com/rvshows.cfm?catname=rv

Which two brands did you settle on?

Nelson

Nelson,

I plan to attend as many shows as possible.? I narrowed my choices to the Nu-Wa Champagne and Carriage.? I was considering the Heartland Landmark but it does not have enough history behind it.? The Heartland Landmark looks nice though.? Looks aren't everything.?
***Just got a call from Heartland regarding their warranty.  They kept telling me it is documented on the paperwork from the dealer.  They have nothing they could send me before I buy.  That gave me the creeps.  When asked specific questions they responded with "sure it is covered, yes {pause} even full timing"  I do not like verbal warranties***
Still way to early in the process to say.? Heck I expect to change my mind at least 1000 times before the end of the year.

Thanks for the link.? I did not realize there were ANY shows in New Jersey.? As for the PA show, I forget which location is having one around October.

Then of course I have to decide on a truck.? No more VW Passat for me.? A big change for me.? I have been gaining experience driving SUVs and pickups while traveling for work - letting my employer pay for the rental and the gas :)

I have seen countless websites with RV DVDs and books.? I am sure some are absolute must haves and others are a waste of time.? I have yet to see a website review the materials.? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom said:
Welcome to our forum. Great photo of Cleo.

Thanks Tom.? Cleo has the looks in the family.? The personality, the metabolism, and mom always liked her best!
I have the geek gene.? But some of it must have rubbed off on her.? The other night she turned on TV and was playing a show off of TIVO.? She is smart or very lucky.? She even figured out how to feed herself from the automatic food dispenser.? Everything she has is automatic.? I even can monitor the litter box from the web and check the log file to see when it was last activated.? I need a new hobby.

When I die I want to come back as my cat.? What a life!

CatObsession said:
I even can monitor the litter box from the web and check the log of when it was activated.  I need a new hobby.

LOL, I won't comment.

CatObsession,

You are right about there being many many RV publications out there.  Some of the mainstream magazines, such as Trailer Life, have some good tips in the "tech" columns.  However, they are supported by the RV industry so many of their articles about RVs are, well, less than subjective.

I had a really extensive RV library 10 years ago when I started, but now it's pretty bare.  I really appreciate what I have learned.  Depending on your budget, you may wish to purchase USED RV books via the Internet.  They can often be a lot cheaper and the info is just the same.

The information you need depends a lot on the travel style you want.  If you always stay in RV parks, the info you need will be a lot different than, say, if you drycamped in the National Forests off narrow washboard dirt roads.  Also, will you travel full time or only occasionally?

You said you couldn't find any local RVers.  This is not necessarily a bad thing.  Unfortunately, many RVers have done the same things the same incorrect or unsafe way for decades.  Approach them with cautious optimism then check with us here. :)

If you can give us a clue about what you want to do, (or even have only a vague idea, which is OK) we can help you better.  This forum is truly a great place.

PS:  I travel the back roads with a dog and cat.

CatObsession said:
I do not like verbal warranties***

Then of course I have to decide on a truck.  No more VW Passat for me.  A big change for me.  I have been gaining experience driving SUVs and pickups while traveling for work - letting my employer pay for the rental and the gas :)

I have seen countless websites with RV DVDs and books.  I am sure some are absolute must haves and others are a waste of time.  I have yet to see a website review the materials.  Any suggestions?

Salesmen will say anything for the sale, like your little Toyota pickup will pull that 30 ft trailer.

Your choice of truck will determine your trailer or your trailer will determine the truck. Look in the library for an understanding of weights and tow vehicles.

As far as books etc this place has a wealth of information, just ask the questions. The previous comment about style of use campground vs boondock will cause you purchase different books. Trailer Life and Woodalls have books for maintaining your trailer, check them out at www.campingworld.com.

Since you live in South Jersey you might try scooting over to Cape May on the weekends there are several campgrounds there. Go in and look around, stroll along and talk to the folks there.

Nelson

Hello, David, We, too are new to RVing having just purchased a Class A. We are in Southern , NJ, too.? Thus far, we have been to Indian River Inlet in DE, Driftwood in Cape May County and Big Timber Lake in Cape May County (which was wonderful), an RV rally. Going someplace up in Ocean County in a couple of weeks. Practicing for the big trip. Planning a trip to New England this summer with my husband and our cat. (and his golf clubs).

Donna

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom