Newbie hello to all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweetsurrender

I have been dreaming of getting an RV to get away on a regular basis. Though we have done the home rental thing in various places we enjoy, we have three dogs and I just am more comfortable in my own bedding and with my own "stuff", not to mention wishing to be possibly looking over a lake, or smelling the forest all night, and mostly, stargazing from an unlighted location. 
Confession: I have been lurking on this forum,  ;) it seems the best thing for us is to learn from folks like you who have actual experience out there.

Full timing is not what we are planning right now, only short trips, often. We are in the Las Vegas Nevada area.

I have so many questions. There are so many options in what RV to choose. (We had experience with a fifth wheel years ago, all good except when a freak wind took it out at the campground).

We are set on something 30' or less, and find less than 28' or so offers too little storage. A Class A or Class C are both options. Also, small trailer under 5,000 lbs is another option. See why I have so many questions? Lol...  I thought it was just me, but have learned from you guys that salespeople truly don't know much about the rigs or details. That's why I came here.

We found a Class A that has almost all things I want (island bed that doesn't bend, double sink, 29 feet, lots of storage in and out) it is a Georgetown, 270 DS. It is a 2014, and at a dealer. The guy told me the reason the radio/camera screen was hanging down in the cabin was because they were in the midst of complete inspection, checking it all out to be sure everything works.

Is this type of rig as scary as it seems to drive? I haven't tried, and sitting in the driver seat contemplating a test drive was terrifying to me!

Thank you for any input, advice, opinions, and generally any ideas that might help in our quest to find a suitable rig.

Welcome to the RV Forum Sweetsurrender

I think I would have to slow down and consider what I really want before I got to carried away on a certain RV.

The guy told me the reason the radio/camera screen was hanging down in the cabin was because they were in the midst of complete inspection, checking it all out to be sure everything works.

IMHO This statement sounds a little fishy

As afar as driving a Class A...It would depend what you're use to driving.

Thanks Gizmo. I have little experience with even a large truck, so Class A is totally outside of my experience. The radio/camera issue does smell funny, doesn't it?  Lol, based on posts I have read here, probably a very large fish!

Thanks for your input. :)

When I first got my class A MH, I was terrified of driving. But the owner took me out driving and taught me all the tricks. It got me on the road and within a few days of driving, I started feeling comfortable. I love driving it. Its a 38 ft diesel pusher. Not to brag, but Ive been known to make Uturns at intersections with a toad.  8)

Don't give up Sweetsurrender, you will find the right RV. It it may end up being a Class A. And after a while you will get use to driving it down the road.

And pretty soon you will doing as Cadee2c

cadee2c said:
When I first got my class A MH, I was terrified of driving. But the owner took me out driving and taught me all the tricks. It got me on the road and within a few days of driving, I started feeling comfortable. I love driving it. Its a 38 ft diesel pusher. Not to brag, but Ive been known to make Uturns at intersections with a toad.  8)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Can we ask which dealer it was? We bought our trailer from Johnnie Walker RV in Las Vegas.

Rofl about Cadee2 and the U turn trick.

The dealer was Blue Dog. A few months ago, we also didn't feel real confident at Camping World. Johnnie Walker strikes us as honest. How was your experience with them? Thanks, jackiemac.

No matter who you buy it from if you can't do an inspection to be sure it's not water damaged I'd hire an mobile RV tech etc to do an inspection.

I've looked at my share of used RVs and water damage can be difficult to spot. It's very common for used rigs to get dumped on people. Remember, there are two types of RV, those that have leaked and those that are going to leak. If you buy something and the $1800 refrigerator dies shortly after just be glad it isn't your foot going through the floor.

After you replace the fridge you will have the use and resale value of a new fridge vs a water damaged patched up RV.

Sweetsurrender said:
Rofl about Cadee2 and the U turn trick.

The dealer was Blue Dog. A few months ago, we also didn't feel real confident at Camping World. Johnnie Walker strikes us as honest. How was your experience with them? Thanks, jackiemac.
We had a great experience, we bought new. I think they are pretty decent.

Sounds reasonable, QZ. Thanks.

And thanks to all. You've given us some helpful ideas. The search for the right rig continues. I will be back with questions, no doubt, about experience with different types of RVs.

Everyone will point you towards a Class A, especially the dealer. Our local dealer doesn't sell Class C's at all. I had a class A in the past but somehow failed to need all the advantages everyone thinks are an absolute necessity.  I think it boils down to whether you drive a Cadillac or a Chevy. To each their own but don't rule out a Class C.  Sitting in the drivers seat all the controls and driving experience is very similar to a car. Just for weekend fun a Class C costs way less and gives you pretty much the same camping experience.

Back
Top Bottom