Newbie question...Power Converter/Battery Charger Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoghauler

I bought an ALJO Rampage Toyhauler and didn't get much instruction.? I remember my Dad seemed to keep his trailers plugged in most of the time while stored at home but someone told me this is not a good idea (for what reason I don't know).? Also, while plugged in at home should I turn the little red plastic key (is this what is referred to as the isolator?) to the off position?? I assume this turns my battery charger off (???) and I guess it should not run constantly?? Should it be on or off during traveling?? Generator use? Plugged to power at campsite?? Leaving the trailer plugged in, I assume the converter runs constantly--is this not a good idea while stored week to week in the summer?? I'm a sponge waiting to absorb your knowledge of experience.? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ChromeHogSmall.JPG
    ChromeHogSmall.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 9
  • RampageSmall.JPG
    RampageSmall.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 9
The battery isolator probably disconnects the house battery on the trailer. If it's OFF, plugging into shore power shouldn't be charging the battery. If you leave it ON and continuously plugged in, you might overcharge the battery, or at least run it dry. So, after initially charging the battery or recharging it after a trip, I'd turn it OFF.

Leaving it ON while plugged in at a campground for a few days shouldn't be an issue. Similarly for short periods of generator use.

You might want to check if there's a separate battery charger switch.

Leave your trailer plugged in.  Just check the water level in the batteries occasionally and add distilled water as needed.  I would check them every 10 days until I had established what the typical interval is when water is needed, then adjust my schedule accordingly.  It's about 3 months on my rig and even then I may not need water.

The charging systems in older Rvs were notorious for overcharging batteries, but those built in the last few years generally do not have this problem, so it is safe to leave the charging system running at all times.

Thanks guys!  I think with your info. I understand now.  I think during the summer, when I hope to be going somewhere about every other weekend, I'll leave it plugged in all the time, and will just turn off the red switch disconnecting the house battery if it's going to sit awhile.  In the winter I'll probably just plug it in once in a while and charge up the battery.  I'll watch the water.  Thanks for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom