Newbie solar questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhope

Hello there I am newbie to this rv solar world. I am trying to add solar to an SUV I am hoping to have the following capabilities:

• Have electricity when vehicle is tuned off
  • Power batteries from wall out/shore power
  • Charge vehicle while driving using alternator and solar together.

I have been looking at using the Red Arc Manager 30 because it appears to contain a converter and a battery controller together.

https://redarcelectronics.com/products/the-manager30

Along with this item I was looking at pairing this with some Victron components and a lithium battery I am wondering if I would need an inverter to make this work I am having trouble understanding how I would connect a 12v dometic fridge up without an inverter as well as what other components I should think about for this project.

Thanks in advance!

The Redarc unit looks nice, but like so many of their products the price is a real killer, I just bought a similar device made by Renogy , 50 amp DC-DC charger with MPPT solar controller, plus BT-2 Bluetooth dongle all for under $250 (pre-black friday pricing), the key difference is that it does not also do AC charging, though it does most of the rest and with the bluetooth app you can do custom charge profiles. https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-DC-Charger-MPPT-Multi-Stage/dp/B093BB5JKF

I am a little confused. You want to add solar to an SUV? Like a Toyota 4-runner?

I won't ask why but I am curious.

I can't see getting more than 100 or 150 watts of panels on the roof of an SUV. But that may be all you need.

The rest of it is just as you said. Add a battery and a charge controller somewhere.

If you meant to type RV please let us know what type of RV as it could be a factor in determining the component sizes etc...

Try posting ONCE.
See this thread. Total newbie and confused
REDUNDANT

Moderator, please close one of these, it is the same question by the same person with two different accounts. Perhaps merge them together, provide the member with his password as he forgot it and made a new account or something....

Back
Top Bottom