newbie to RV lifestyle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catsmiler

Retired teachers, she from Scotland, principle of a high school in Lima,Peru...speaks Spanish fluently...Me history teacher in Hawaii then an arbitrator for Gelco Intl. in the Pacific Rim...from San Francisco Bay Area...I'm the dumb one...no Spanish, pronounce Latin with a Russian accent (my Latin teacher was a Russian nun, Sister Kazamara...)...Looking for start-up advice, from what vehicle to buy (Class B), to insurance, plates, mail forwarding, clubs to join, camp accessibility, basic load-out, wifi, hell, just about everything we would need to have and know to get started...Thank you for any advice you can offer to these two 80 year old adventurers...Larry and Jeanie 

Welcome aboard!

I'd suggest renting an RV for a week or so.

As you know, book learning is great but you can't beat actual hands on traing.

Welcome to the RV Forum Larry and Jeanie

You started out on the right foot...You came here.

I would suggest getting out and looking at a few Class B's to see what to expect and what you like.

Thanks, Arch and Gizmo...Good advice...Judging by the number of posts you guys have filed, almost 5500, you speak from experience, long experience...Perhaps you could recommend a dependable class B RV, gas or diesel, with an MPG around 20-25....We can afford 50m plus trade-in of a 2005 Avalanche....Thanks...Larry and Jeanie

Let me say when it comes to my truck and trailer setup I know everything I need to know to run it safely. I can do most of my own maintenance and repairs. 
90% of my ability to work on my trailer it because of this forum. I have spent endless hours reading and understanding as much information as I can cram into my brain. Once in a while I run into something I'm not sure about and will post a question.

I said that to say this..

I don't know much about Class B RV's. They do share some of the same appliances as the other RV. but they are way to small for My wife and I. And on that note ...Are you sure A Class B will be enough room on those cold rainy days.
The choice of gas or diesel on a class B I believe is a wash.

Just to explain my number of post.......
I like to talk and My wife likes to read so I can spend my time on the forum sharing what I've know. Or I can bother my wife until she gets mad. ;D ;D

catsmiler said:
Thanks, Arch and Gizmo...Good advice...Judging by the number of posts you guys have filed, almost 5500, you speak from experience, long experience...Perhaps you could recommend a dependable class B RV, gas or diesel, with an MPG around 20-25....We can afford 50m plus trade-in of a 2005 Avalanche....Thanks...Larry and Jeanie

Well.....I hate to tell you this but I don't recommend getting a class B.  Have had two friends who bought them as their first RV and got rid of them after a year.

The problem is that they are too small.

The other thing I'm going to tell you is....forget about getting good gas mileage.  RVing is more about fun and worrying about gas mileage takes away from that.  I get 7.1 mpg gallon and I'm happy with that.

As far as a gas or diesel RV let me just say I'm not a fan of diesels in larger RV's but that's a discussion I don't want to get involved in.

First off, GET OUT OF CALIFORNIA.
Yes I was screaming.  Cali will kill you on taxes, license fees etc.
Class Bs while sort of nice are really small, cramped and expensive.  For the same money you would spend on a B you could get way more in a class C or even a class A.

What he said! For the difference in cost you could buy many thousands of gallons of fuel. And travel in comfort to boot.

Ernie

Hi and welcome to the forum from Scotland  :)

I suggest you browse the library and resources areas in the tab above, and read through the posts and you will learn an awful lot.

Remember that unless you have a tow vehicle you will have to drive the RV everywhere. It's one of the reasons we went for the truck and trailer combo. We get around 10mpg when towing and a bit more for other driving. We like to get out into the backwoods so having the truck enables us to do that.  We do more miles in the truck alone than towing. We pitch up somewhere for  a week or so the go out exploring every day.

I wouldn't be put off getting the Class B if that is what your heart is set on, plenty of folks have them. Ivd seen folks in tiny campers of trailers and they seem happy enough. Each to his own. Just be aware of the limitations in whatever you choose.

Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom