Newbie TT checklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No need for the black tank tablets as long as you use plenty of water when you flush. Remember after you dump the black tank add around 3 to 5 gallons of water to continue the break down action of anything left in the tank.
Don’t need the DampRid. Some people use that when the rv is put in storage for a long time.
One thing you need is a small bottle jack in case you need to change a flat.
I have a small fold up shovel the military style. It has come in handy many times.
Does your rv come with a ladder? If it does, there’s no need of you bringing another one.
Small BBQ grill.
Small carpet to wipe your feet and shoes before going into the rv.
A hook someplace outside to hang a spare set of RV keys and a spare key inside the rv for your tow vehicle.

No need for the black tank tablets as long as you use plenty of water when you flush. Remember after you dump the black tank add around 3 to 5 gallons of water to continue the break down action of anything left in the tank.
Don’t need the DampRid. Some people use that when the rv is put in storage for a long time.
One thing you need is a small bottle jack in case you need to change a flat.
I have a small fold up shovel the military style. It has come in handy many times.
Does your rv come with a ladder? If it does, there’s no need of you bringing another one.
Small BBQ grill.
Small carpet to wipe your feet and shoes before going into the rv.
A hook someplace outside to hang a spare set of RV keys and a spare key inside the rv for your tow vehicle.
Are you sure we don't need the Damp Rid? Air conditioner is non-ducted in the TT.

Never seen a 50A only pedestal, so the 50/30 adapter is probably a waste of money
I've encountered a few 50A-only but that is not common except in "big rig" resorts. However, you may find pedestals with worn 30A outlets and want to plug to the 50A instead.

I wouldn't buy any more stuff until you establish your own camping style and see what you really need.

Are you sure we don't need the Damp Rid? Air conditioner is non-ducted in the TT.
You’re going to get humidity in the rig no matter what you do from taking showers, cooking, leaking windows, opening door and breathing. The DampRid won’t have time to react before something else adds humidity. I’ve never heard of anyone using it for short term like just weekend camping so save your money.

You might find in some campgrounds that your 10ft sewer hose is not long enough. Some campgrounds ask you to use a device that keeps the hose off the ground like this one:

I got the tabs because we're not going to be carry much water at all, to keep the weight down. Cool @ damp rid; I'll return it. Adding the bottle jack to my list. Folding shovel, yes have it. My rig does not have a ladder on it, so guessing I need a lightweight ladder. Outdoor carpet/doormat, adding to list. Keys stay in my pocket, always (I'm a serious freak about this, lol).
The tabs will do nothing to prevent a "poop pyrimid" that will happen if you don't use enough water. I don't recall a single time I've needed a ladder while using any of my RV's. I use one at home when putting on the cover or cleaning, but have never carried one. My keys usually stay with me as well,but I have been known to misplace them, so my wife also has a complete set with her.

You might find in some campgrounds that your 10ft sewer hose is not long enough. Some campgrounds ask you to use a device that keeps the hose off the ground like this one:

We're not hooking up to sewer at campgrounds, just electric and water. Just using the 10 ft sewer hose for dump stations. I realize this means I have to stop at dump stations with the trailer on my way out, or on the route; I'm ok with that (I think, lol). We can always pick up more sewer line on the road, and holders if we need them.

The tabs will do nothing to prevent a "poop pyrimid" that will happen if you don't use enough water. I don't recall a single time I've needed a ladder while using any of my RV's. I use one at home when putting on the cover or cleaning, but have never carried one. My keys usually stay with me as well,but I have been known to misplace them, so my wife also has a complete set with her.
My bro said keeping about 5-6 gallons of water in the black tank should be enough; will that prevent a poop pyramid? Yeah, didn't figure I really need the ladder 👍. My partner, Ray, will have the spare keys on them 👍.

You’re going to get humidity in the rig no matter what you do from taking showers, cooking, leaking windows, opening door and breathing. The DampRid won’t have time to react before something else adds humidity. I’ve never heard of anyone using it for short term like just weekend camping so save your money.
Ok, I hear you. We can always pick some up if moisture becomes an issue. We're going to be on the road for 1-2 months full time.

Since so many experienced folks are here and so knowledgeable and helpful, can I ask those of you that have generators:
Where do you put it for tow: back of the truck, or rv rear storage rack?
I'm thinking mine prolly should go back of the truck, since I have coilovers and a locking bed cover. Tongue weight is good for the 90 lbs.

We're not hooking up to sewer at campgrounds, just electric and water. Just using the 10 ft sewer hose for dump stations. I realize this means I have to stop at dump stations with the trailer on my way out, or on the route; I'm ok with that (I think, lol). We can always pick up more sewer line on the road, and holders if we need them.
Wellllll, 😊 the local rv park that we'll be at for a month before we head to CA does require we use a sewer line support if we're hooked up. And, I'm not sure if my 10ft line is enough. You were right, I need both, at least for this rv park. We may not use sewer lines for short stays on our road trip, but for a full month here, yeah...we need it.

The lesson in this discussion is that needs vary, both with the campsite and your personal style of doing things. If you are going to be be on the road extensively and visit a lot of places, you probably want to be prepared for a greater variety of situations. However, you seldom need to buy in advance - there is typically a Walmart or RV store somewhere within reach and you can probably do without most items for a day or so. Sufficient electrical cords & adapters are an exception to that (for most of us, anyway).

My bro said keeping about 5-6 gallons of water in the black tank should be enough; will that prevent a poop pyramid? Yeah, didn't figure I really need the ladder 👍. My partner, Ray, will have the spare keys on them 👍
I always add a few gallons after I dump.That will slosh around while you are traveling and break anything up that may remain. I don't know if 5 gallons would be enough to flush out the solids if you didn't add more water when you use it. I still do not believe the tabs would help even with water.

I always add a few gallons after I dump.That will slosh around while you are traveling and break anything up that may remain. I don't know if 5 gallons would be enough to flush out the solids if you didn't add more water when you use it. I still do not believe the tabs would help even with water.
Ok, got it @ add water when using. I have a tank flush system; hoping that will help after dumping? I took the tabs back.

Credit card and cellphone...

I love these threads about, "What should I bring."

Sort of being facetious but some folks stop just short of a fully functioning machine shop on board. @CatLightning you seem open to suggestions and you seem balanced and logical in your approach. I am sure you will figure it all out.

I d/l'd a few checklists that folks had in the library here and modified for my use.

The best advice I got here was to move into my RV for a week in the driveway. Only go into the house to get something necessary and to shower and evacuate (I chose not to fill up my tanks in the driveway - LOL) - Living in the driveway highlighted a few things I wasn't thinking about.

Going back to checklists I would recommend highly that you use an arrival/departure checklist that only contains these procedures. These are the things that absolutely have to be done before departing - jacks up, sewer/water/power stored, hook ups, "raiseable" antennas lowered, awnings in and secured, basement doors closed, departure route and surroundings are clear of collision hazards both ground level and trailer top level.

The last thing to do is a complete 360* walk around of the rig, a look underneath and a look up above.

I have a trailer addendum as well. I have almost launched with various things undone due to getting an interruption during hook up or something.

I vote to drive that camper straight to California.

Only stop long enough to gas up and sleep.

Get your money from the inlaws for the camper.

No need to buy much stuff. Just get it there and get your money and call it a day.

Credit card and cellphone...

I love these threads about, "What should I bring."

Sort of being facetious but some folks stop just short of a fully functioning machine shop on board. @CatLightning you seem open to suggestions and you seem balanced and logical in your approach. I am sure you will figure it all out.

I d/l'd a few checklists that folks had in the library here and modified for my use.

The best advice I got here was to move into my RV for a week in the driveway. Only go into the house to get something necessary and to shower and evacuate (I chose not to fill up my tanks in the driveway - LOL) - Living in the driveway highlighted a few things I wasn't thinking about.

Going back to checklists I would recommend highly that you use an arrival/departure checklist that only contains these procedures. These are the things that absolutely have to be done before departing - jacks up, sewer/water/power stored, hook ups, "raiseable" antennas lowered, awnings in and secured, basement doors closed, departure route and surroundings are clear of collision hazards both ground level and trailer top level.

The last thing to do is a complete 360* walk around of the rig, a look underneath and a look up above.

I have a trailer addendum as well. I have almost launched with various things undone due to getting an interruption during hook up or something.
Thanks so much for the arrival/departure checklist suggestion! I'll definitely do that! I ❤️ checklists 😆.
I am so open to suggestions! The more info, the better, so I can learn from others and make adjustments for our own "style" of living.
We're going to live in the TT for a month at a local RV park before we hit the road; hoping that will suffice, and we'll be able to take full stock of both unnecessary and overlooked inventory and deal with it locally pre-departure. We'll also be living in it for 3-12 months in CA before handing it off to the in-laws. I sure hope we have it all down by then, lol.
Where is this library that you speak of? I'd love to check it out!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom