Newbie with dumb Winnebago / Itasca questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wasoki

We are currently looking for our first motorhome and under consideration are two Winnebago products.  One is a Winnebago, another an Itasca.  Are Itasca / Winnebago products identical or "similar"?  Same costs / trim levels, or is this like GM labeling one product  a Chevy, upgrading the upholstery and trim and then calling it a Buick? 

Opinions vary about the difference.  Pontiac/Oldsmobile or is it Chevy Pontiac or maybe Buick/Olds.  At one time Itasca was the entry level Winnebago product and later on Itasca became the complete package and the Winnebago could be ordered as you wanted.  I have had both and reasonably satisfied.  Choose the one that fills your needs.

Don, WIT 70041

Itasca used to be a bit of a higher line than the Winnebago line. Now days they are just a different trim line.  Pretty much both units are outfitted exactly the same.  Both good units, just depends on your particular tastes. 

Welcome Jim!  If we had kids, we would also be spending their inheritance.

Previous threads about this topic here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and there are bound to be others.  This question comes up so frequently I need to address it in the Winnebago Resources sticky at the top of this board.

"... Good day, my good man."

Just my 5 cents worth of opinion...  I recently purchased a 2012 Winnebago 'Vista' 27 footer...  I was very pleased with my purchased from start to finish.  No major problems and what minor discrepancies I found my dealer in Las Vegas was more than happy to correct.

The Vista is built on the shorter [158 in. wheelbase] and is effortless to navigate and we sit up high in the captains chairs and have a clear and unobstructed view of the world ahead of us.

My vote is any Winnebago product and you will be happy although you need to find the right length and floorplan.

I also purchased the extended 7 year warranty and feel much more protected with this my first time m/h... ;D

Wasoki said:
Are Itasca / Winnebago products identical or "similar"?

Yes, and it my understanding they roll out on the same assembly line - and finally just trimmed differently.

And yes, just like Chevy and GMC, the reasoning is to have more dealerships. They can't have two Winny dealerships in the next block, but can have a Winny in one block and an Itasca in the next and get away with it selling essentially the same product.

When we were looking the difference was color sceme.  The Itaskas seemed to be more soft colors while the winnies seemed to be a bit more masculine in reguards to the color schemes.  Other than that identical.

Jeff

jeffbrown said:
When we were looking the difference was color sceme.  The Itasca's seemed to be more soft colors while the Winnie's seemed to be a bit more masculine in regards to the color schemes.  Other than that identical.

Jeff

Jeff, I have a theory about that - and only a theory. Over the years I have had several tell me that GMC tho just like the Chevy, are made a bit better overall, and some have said that when pricing, GMC was always a bit higher. I had a GMC 1/2 ton for about 4 years while pulling a trailer and then a 5th wheel. And I also had a neighbor that had the same setup - but he had the same model year Chevy pickup. Plus, he was a able to take a truck apart and put it back together again in terms of automotive repair skills.

Anyway, he either fixed my GMC or assisted me in doing repairs. According to him, he had never run into any differences whatsoever in the two trucks. When shopping for my '96 Adventurer Winnie -- I couldn't help but notice and conclude that the color schemes and appointments in Itasca's were designed to give the impression of a bit higher quality than the exact same Winnie model. Ergo, higher priced.

But again, only a personal theory . . .  :)

Hi Jeff:  Just back from visiting Forest City, watched the movie, did the tour.  Asked the question when I was there and told back in the day (50s 60s) the Itasca name was adopted to identify a different Chassis from the original Winnebago.  I watched the production line and saw Winnebago and Itasca in the same line.  As several have mentioned the trim level may be different but the units are the same.  I did tours of a couple of manufacturers doing research to purchase my first NEW motorhome.  Before I returned home I dropped into my dealer to buy a 2012 View Profile.  I had a little difficulty convincing Winnebago that the dash radio wasn`t acceptable because it was 4 year technology and would`t support an iPod or iPhone manufacturered after Sept. 2008.  I now have an updated radio.  Leaving tomorrow for two weeks to attend the Good Sam Rally in Daytona, first big trip, but so far no regrets about purchase. 

Glenerin said:
Asked the question when I was there and told back in the day (50s 60s) the Itasca name was adopted to identify a different Chassis from the original Winnebago....

Winnebago had a contract with Dodge to be their sole supplier for all Winnebago chassis'.  Winnie wanted to use other chassis' so they created a new product line - Itasca.

Congrats on your new View!

John's responce was something I had heard as well.  The Itasca name seems to have lasted for other reasons as well, but it is nice to know my previous thought about it being a cosmetic difference to be a correct view.

Thanks
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom