Newbie with large plans...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello Everyone,

Just sign up here and figure I will say hello. I am looking at 2002 Monaco Monarch 34' to buy. Getting RV Inspector to setup right now. I want to go full time next year and use this year and part of next to take weekend trips, etc. to flesh out my RV and adjust stuff in it. I want to add solar to allow me to boon/dry docking.

I am interested in options of putting washer/dryer unit into RV, which means loosing some storage/closet space. If that is possible.

Anyway, glad to be here and looking forward to participate in this community.

If that Monarch is pre-wired and plumbed for a washer/dryer (many are), swapping closet space for the washer is simple enough. If not wired & plumbed, it can be anywhere from challenging to impossible.

Unfortunately it is not pre-wired. How would I go about it to asses, find out if it's possible and potential cost? Do I just try to call RV repair shops around?

Could be thousands to add. Will need to add 2 water hookups plus a waste line to somewhere. Not counting adding a dedicated 120V line and breaker. Just not real practical in an existing coach. Bottom line your kind of stuck with laundrymats. I would also skip the solar idea until you have settled on this as your ultimate RV. Already it has downsides.

Donn makes a good point. When we began full timing in 2016, we did so assuming that was our starter coach. If that assumption was wrong, great… but one can’t know what matters (or how much something matters) without experiencing the life. (And nobody can tell you, either… it’s all way too subjective.)
We kept that first coach for about three years. She served us well, but we knew we would reassess our nomadic lifestyle after the first several years and either trade up (and larger) and keep on roaming or trade up (and smaller) and buy a sticks and bricks dwelling.
If you already know a washer/dryer is high on your wishlist, perhaps you should keep looking.

It's all good points. I have not settle on very specifics. My plan was to get one this summer, take trips on a weekends first before making any changes. And then starting next summer (2023, my retirement start) go on the road full time for about 2 or 3 years. My reference to washer & dryer was that I have seen many positive comments about having one in RV.

seen many positive comments about having one in RV.
Do people that boondock use a washer and dryer, or go to the laundromat?
I would think it would use up your water if boondocking, BUT

if you live in campgrounds as a nomadic lifestyle, I guess that would work?

I envision mix of boondocking and hookups. I agree using w&d while boondocking not practical, but other times seems handy. Keep in mind I want to be a nomad for about those 2 or 3 years, so I will be staying in all kind of places. Dry camping seems like a fun thing to do it, but I can't see doing this majority of the time.

Do people that boondock use a washer and dryer, or go to the laundromat?
I would think it would use up your water if boondocking, BUT

if you live in campgrounds as a nomadic lifestyle, I guess that would work?
Actually, when you go boondocking, you save laundry until you get to full hookups, if you have a washer and dryer. It's not needed every day, and the water can be put to better use, as can the electricity.

Some rv owners use a small portable clothes washer. Then hang the washed clothes around the rv to dry. There are both manual and electric models. I normally wear my shirts and pants for several days unless they get dirty. So those models would work for me. Here's a link to a manual model: https://www.amazon.com/Lavario-Portable-Non-Electric-Apartments-Delicates/dp/B07CZNN4WL/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1I2KW0ZU7LBKU&keywords=small+manual+clothes+washer&qid=1653282087&sprefix=small+manual+clothes+,aps,1264&sr=8-4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom