The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richard1943

Hi. My name is Richard. I have just gotten out of salt water cruising in a trawler in Mexico and Alaska. For my next adventure I am seeking a previously owned RV.. I know little about what is available and would like some advice on brands/models to search for.

I want a smallish vehicle, VW van size or sprinter that would accommodate two older adults. I do not need an indoor shower but do require some kind of indoor toilet. I do not want a big refrigerator. I already have a 12v/110v cooler that is adequate. My plan would be to use it in Mexico, sometimes going on dirt roads to camp on the beaches. AC would be nice but not necessary since this would be a Mexico winter. Heat would be good. The top end sprinters look suitable but too pricey and too complicated. Too much to go wrong.

Your suggestions will be most appreciated.

Hi and welcome.

I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions from others.

Good luck with your search.

Richard,
You will likely find the transition from marine to land virtually seamless. You will have so new vocabulary.
Remember, on land everywhere is a No-Discharge Zone. If you think you want a shower, then you also want a head (toilet) with holding (Black Tank), yes it will require the occasional pump-out (Dump), but with access to internet, I have not found locating same to be very difficult. And yes, potable water is still at a premium.
In the RV world, along side is often a Full Hook Up (FHU) site with water, electric and sewer available, but there are plenty of opportunities to anchor out (dry camp) or gunkhol (real doondocking).
The LOA conversion from RV to power boat is about 1.5. Sailboats are way more, but the RV has zero room on deck to utilized for gatherings.
Remember to that your draft is now above and not below. If what you finally acquire is Van-Sized, this is not much of an issue. The only charts (maps) that will have that information is a truckers road atlas. Even if you don't need that, it is good to have in any case.
Much like in the marine world, you will want to locate a surveyor (RV inspector) again, don't use one recommended by the broker. These things can look real good and still be junk.
I wish you many unforgettable sites and hours of boring driving.
Matt

Your description fits a Class B motorhome, basically a van with a house interior. Many of them use the Sprinter chassis, but there are Ford & Chevy& Ram-based models too. Popular brands include Winnebago (Era & Travato), & Thor, but the best known "B" motorhomes come from Pleasureway & Roadtrek

Check rvtrader.com and select Class B as the type to find many examples, new & used.

Have you considered a pick-up truck with a truck camper? This way, you have everything in one unit, but you still have the possibility to separate the camper from the truck and be mobile without breaking camp.

You will definitely be more mobile and have a stronger vehicle if traveling off-road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom