The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JANE4351

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I retired from nursing about 3 years ago. My hubbie and I were thinking about purchasing an RV about 5 or 6 years ago, when I was a Travel Nurse. A lot of the nurses I worked with said it was great, because you could take your"home" with you, especially if you had pets, and you were not packing and unpacking so much. Many of the apartment complexes we were provided with would not allow pets or, there was this huge non-refundable pet deposit.

Unfortunately, but fortunately, I retired and we are thinking again about getting an RV. Neither one of us knows anything about RVing, except that we both like to travel and this may be a good way for our grandchildren to see a different aspect of living. I have lost contact with people that I knew before that had RVs.

Instead of an RV, we would first like to rent one for vacation in August, to make sure that this will work for us.

We are going to the Georgia RV Show next week, and we hope to get tons of info. I like the class A motorhome (of course? ;) ), but I think a class C 29 ft will work as well? ::).

I know you all could provide me with good info to look for and questions to ask. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to the RV Forum.  You have found the right place to ask questions and learn about RVing.  There is a lot of experience here among the framily and we are willing to share and help if we can.  Good Idea to go to RV shows and look what is available.  Don't hesitate to ask questions here that may come to mind.  Glad you found us.  Congratulations on your retirement.

Tom

Administrator
Welcome Jane. Good idea to rent first to see if RVing is for you. Also, you might be able to rent one that's the same brand as one you see in the RV show and might have on your list for possibie purchase.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Renting one (perhaps several) is a good idea.  It will help refine both what you want in your own RV and alos give you some experience.

New comers often lean towards Class C's because the driving compartment looks familiar and therefore less intimidating. However, I think a Class A is actually easier to drive (better view of the road) and generally a better value for the money.  A 29 foot Class a won't cost any more than a 29 foot Class C and will almost surely have a more robust chasis and drivetrain, more storage space underneath and at least a bit more living room inside.

caltex

Jane, I strongly recommend renting several RVs prior to deciding on a type (or maybe even brand).  I was new to the field, having never owned or even driven an RV and found that a few days in a rented vehicle firmed up my likes/dislikes and made me into a "expert" on that unit. My first rental was for a week, and by the end of that week I knew that I wouldn't buy that configuration (it had been selected because it was my first on my list after two years of arm chair research). Had I not done the rental I would now be a very unhappy camper.

JANE4351

:) Thanks, to all of you for you expertise. Our trip next year will be for 9 days in and around Georgia and Tenn. (Lookout Mountain). I'm hoping that when we go to the RV show this weekend, it will give us enough information to make some decision.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom