The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilcountry

Hello, I just registered. I've looked through the forum a little bit, and thought I would register so I could ask some  questions. I'm basically new to RVing, and I'm looking to get a used fifth wheel. I've learned a lot already from the forum, and I'm gonna be asking some questions. I guess I'll try to find the right place to post them.

Welcome, I'm not a trailer person but here are some very knowledgeable ones here so ask away.

Where are you located and what are you going to tow it with??

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Please ask any questions you have relating to RVing, join in any of the ongoing discussions, or start new discussions relating to the RVing lifestyle.  Glad you found us.

James, I have a 3/4 ton Chevy PU w/350 engine. It is an extended cab, short bed. From reading the forum it looks like I should be looking for a sliding hitch when I get ready to pull. This is going to be my "break-in" rig. ( I figure I'll probably break it!) Something to start with to get some experience, and a better idea of what I want when I retire in a few years. Then we want to do a lot of traveling.

Hi Lilcountry,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, you will need a sliding hitch for the shortbed. You can pull it fine but will have big problems when trying to maneuver into a spot. It occurs when you are close to 90 degrees from the trailer. The front of the trailer usually takes out the rear window of the truck. :-[

James, I have a 3/4 ton Chevy PU w/350 engine. It is an extended cab, short bed. From reading the forum it looks like I should be looking for a sliding hitch when I get ready to pull. This is going to be my "break-in" rig. ( I figure I'll probably break it!) Something to start with to get some experience, and a better idea of what I want when I retire in a few years. Then we want to do a lot of traveling

We had a 3/4 T. ext. cab, and short box with a 16K Rocking Reese hitch for 5 years. Never had a problem except one time. And it related to the bed rail Clemence. Now the daughter has it with her short box. I would recommend an extended kinpin, and 8-9" of bed rail Clarence. And you should be fine. Them sliders are a p. i. n. a.

We have a 1 T. ext. cab long box chevy diesel with a 20k Reese now.

We have towed with both short bed and long bed trucks but never had a sliding hitch.  Have been all over the USA, in all kinds of campgrounds, with never a problem.  Personally I don't think a slider is at all necessary as long as the trailer has an extended pin box (projects from front of trailer about a foot) and most of them do.  Only the bold back into tight enough turns to actually hit the truck that way. On the other hand, if you use a sliding hitch, that's one less thing to worry about - assuming you actually use the slide feature the time when you really need it!.

You can get a PullRite hitch for use in the short box trucks. The PullRite has a feature that will slide it back automatically as the truck and trailer are at a 15 deg. angle, that is for forward or reverse. That is the hirch that I use since there is a considerable investment between the truck and the trailer I opted for the extra bucks, that way when I get a CRS attack backing up I will not damage the truck or the trailer.

Nelson

RV Roamer said:
We have towed with both short bed and long bed trucks but never had a sliding hitch.  Have been all over the USA, in all kinds of campgrounds, with never a problem.  Personally I don't think a slider is at all necessary as long as the trailer has an extended pin box (projects from front of trailer about a foot) and most of them do.  Only the bold back into tight enough turns to actually hit the truck that way. On the other hand, if you use a sliding hitch, that's one less thing to worry about - assuming you actually use the slide feature the time when you really need it!.

Gary,

Some people are really lucky. ;D We had a brand new 5th wheel two years ago that they hooked up to a brand new shortbed pickup. One of the techs had to move the unit, while the owner was standing there, and forgot the sliding hitch. Took out the rear window very quickly. I think having the sliding hitch would really pay for itself if it only needed to be used once. BTW, that 5er did have the extended pin box. I checked with the techs yesterday when I was working on my coach at the shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom