newbies need a dry camping clue!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

techhouse

Hi everybody!

I'm Ryan and my wife is Joanna.  We're pretty new to RVing, having done it only once. 

All the campgrounds are booked up this weekend, and that's ok with us, but we want to know how to find out where we can park legally overnight.  We have seen people parking along the 101 near Ojai, California, and it seems legal.

We would like to find similar spots near Laguna beach, in cali, or near San Onofrie beach (old man beach).

What are the rules for overnight parking?  Is there someplace I can find a list of places that are legal to park, but aren't necessariliy campgrounds?

Thanks for any information!

techhouse said:
? We have seen people parking along the 101 near Ojai, California, and it seems legal.
We would like to find similar spots near Laguna beach, in cali, or near San Onofrie beach (old man beach).
What are the rules for overnight parking?? Is there someplace I can find a list of places that are legal to park, but aren't necessariliy campgrounds?

Hi Ryan,
The section of 101 near Ojai that I know about is actually a State Park...? Rincon.? It requires a payment and reservations are not made.? It is first come first served.
I do not know of any place near Laguna to park overnight.? San Onofre has a few state? parks.? ?I do not know of a listing of places to "park" which are legal, though one may exist.? Do you have a listing of campgrounds like Trailer Life??

Betty

In most areas it is illegal to park overnight on public roads, especially to sleep overnight in the vehicle.  Some public use areas (state & local parks, public beaches, etc.) may permit overnight use, but you will have to contact local authorities.  Most locaities frown on this sort of thing, though, because they have had problems with squaters and vagabonds living out of their cars/trucks. Legally it is hard to distinguish between a acceptable and unacceptable vehicle campers, so he most common solution is to simply ban them all.

Federal public lands are often open to general use but roadside camping is at the discretion of the supervising authority, typically a National Forest Service or BLM regional Superintendent or a National Park Service Chief Ranger. Again, you have to ask about each one separately. 

There are some lists of "free places to camp", both online and published. Some of the free ones ae aactually "almost free", in that hey have some minimal chage for obtaining a permit.

One such web site is:
www.freecampgrounds.com

Try a web search (e.g. Google) on "free camping" or "free campsite" and see what you find.

This late on the Memorial Day weekend, reservations are scarce as hens teeth, indeed.? ?

That said here is a hint for next time:? Lake Cachuma.?http://www.sbparks.org/DOCS/Cachuma.html.

Cachuma is about 20 miles north of Santa Barbara (see map).  What makes it nice is that it is first come, first served.  There are about 150 full hook up sites, about 30 water and electric only sites, and a gazillion dry camping sites.  If you arrive Monday thru Thursday you are pretty much going to get a site.  Fridays get progressively iffy during the day and Saturday, especially on a 3 day week end are pretty much hopeless.

The park is a neat place.  Big lake. Fishing.  Marina.  Nature cruises and walks.  Native American docents and demos.  Oak wood environment.  Swimming pool for those folks who need to take the edge off kids.  Good all year around.

Back
Top Bottom