Newby from Colorado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colorado Chick

We live in Colorado in the summer and had a home in Arizona in the winter that we just sold and bought a new 36 foot fifth wheel.  This is our fifth rig as our situations were ever changing, as we have said before this is our last rig LOL.
We will be taking our first long trip since our return trip to Colorado.  Going up to Vancover via Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and BC.  Coming back by Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Utah.  We have only made one reservation and that is at Estes Park, Colorado on our way to Wyoming.
Since this will only be for one month, which are some 'must see' in the states we mentioned.
Thanks,  Patty

Hi Patty and welcome. Lots of things to see in those states and you could use up the entire month in Utah alone. But I'll let some of our seasoned travelers make suggestions.

Here are a couple of ideas:

Montana - Yellowstone National Park - we stayed at Yellowstone's Edge RV Park right on the Yellowstone River.  This CG is about 30 minutes to the park.

Wyoming - Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody.  Definitely drive the Beartooth Highway but not with the fifth wheel.

Hi Patty and welcome! Where'bouts in Colorado are you? MDH (my dear husband) and I are summering in Silverton. What aa beautiful place.

I might suggest camping within the park at Yellowstone. It is just gorgeous. Try for the Tetons as well.

Your rig sounds greatt. Do enjoy it and travel safely.

Best, BernerGran

Hi Patty,

Welcome to the forum. We used to have a yearly rally in Estes Park. Since you summer in CO you probably know about Trail Ridge Road in Estes Park. It's a not to be missed drive. I forgot the name of the dirt road running up to the summit. It might also be Trail Ridge. You drive up the dirt road and then come back down on the paved road. Be sure to hike to the summit from the lodge area. It's about 500' up but seems like two miles!!!

Hello Colorado Chik from another Colorado Chik....

We're down in Cortez but visit Grand Junction often (biggest town near us and only 200 miles away). You probably pass by us on your way from GJ to AZ.

Going from western Colorado (which should be a completely different state from the Front Range) to Vancouver, I'd spend a lot of time in Utah. Also Craters of the Moon in Idaho. The Columbia River Gorge in Oregon/Washington is awesome as is the area along the eastern slope of the Cascades in Oregon. Yellowstone and Tetons in Montana, of course, but I prefer Tetons....less crowded. This probably doesn't all fit into a direct route but who cares LOL

Jim, why don't we still have a rally in Estes Park??? Sign me up if that one ever comes back!!

Hi Patty,

Welcome to the RV Forum. Please  join in on any of the ongoing discussions, or start new discussions or ask any questions you might have..  Thanks for joining us.

Where in Wyoming are you headed?

Wendy,

The rally was changed to Moab a few years ago because people felt they had seen enough of the Estes Park area. Also the Moab rally coincides much better with those that are out west and starting to head back to their summer lairs especially those heading north and east.

Barb Barbera instigated the Estes Park rally. She wanted a rally, called Centermost, so folks from any location in the USA could fairly easily attend. Well, the "centermost" location in the country is somewhere in Kansas. Nobody wanted to go to Kansas in the summer which is when the rally was planned. All agreed that the Rockies would be a good choice even those of us on the east coast would have to drive a little further. I think we had it there for about 4 years. I certainly enjoyed those that we could attend but love Moab. I wouldn't mind going back to Estes Park but would have to "retire" again. ;D

Colorado Chick said:
Jim, that is so true about people heading back, we come through Moab on our way to Colorado.  I signed up for the Ralley but not sure if there is room.  They will let me know in 72 hours.
Patty

Patty,

They usually have room in the overflow area if not in a regular site. It's still worth the trip!!!! This is the best rally I have ever attended. Moab is THE place and I probably would move there if it wasn't for the winters! ;D ;D ;D

Colorado Chick said:
Jim, that is so true about people heading back, we come through Moab on our way to Colorado.  I signed up for the Ralley but not sure if there is room.  They will let me know in 72 hours.
Patty

Patty,

They usually have an overflow area where you can dry camp if necessary. The rally is worth attending even if you don't have hookups. If they know you are with the forum group they will usually move you up to a hookup site if available.

Jim Dick said:
Moab is THE place and I probably would move there if it wasn't for the winters! ;D ;D ;D

Jim, that's the joy of being retired and having an RV....if you don't like the winters (or summers), you just go somewhere else. Of course, summers in Moab aren't all that nifty .... it was over 100 a couple of weeks ago when we were there.

wendycoke said:
Jim, that's the joy of being retired and having an RV....if you don't like the winters (or summers), you just go somewhere else. Of course, summers in Moab aren't all that nifty .... it was over 100 a couple of weeks ago when we were there.

Hi Wendy,

Yes, you are correct. We can move whereever we desire. We're in CT for the summer and even though we haven't hit 100 the humidity sure makes it feel that hot. As we have seen on the news it has been very hot all over this country. I laugh at all the Nutmeggers that say they would never retire to Florida because of the humidity. If one tracks the temps in CT and FL they will find they track very, very close during the summer. Our real problem is a son in VA and a daughter in CT. We can leave the grandkids often but still need to return regularly for a fix. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom