Newby with Remote Purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Hans

I have never RV camped before but I am excited to start. I am looking at a unit that's about 10 hours away. I have two concerns about purchase logistics.
  1. I want to make sure the driver seat is comfortable for me.
  2. Is it useful, OK, or assumed that I get an RV inspector to go over the RV before I go to walkthrough/purchase.
Also, I can't find the Library or Glossary on this website.

Thanks,
Hans

Would you walk away from a "perfect" RV if the driver seat wasn't OK? Hint - they're user replaceable.

If you're that new to RV's an inspection would be a given. Expect there will be findings, RV's are basically a crappy house built onto a delivery truck. But have in mind just what you'd be willing to accept for faults or issues, what that would cost you or a shop to fix, vs sale price. If you can bring along someone you know that has an RV, that can go a long way towards finding warts or issues very quickly.

I paid for an inspection on mine. They didn't find anything I didn't already know about and missed a few things too. Some inspectors are probably better than others but if you're walking into this cold I would think it's better to have it reviewed by an third party than discovering major broken things or latent damage later.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

It is VERY useful and OK to have the unit inspected before you buy. It is also advisable to put a deposit on the vehicle to make sure that the seller does not sell it out from under you before the inspection can take place.

It is hard to answer this question without knowing more, are we talking a new coach, a used one, how old, etc.

Having said that, yes get an independent inspection, you can use the inspector locator tool at nrvia.org to locate one. Once you locate an inspector (use a level 2 inspector) , call them talk with them and see if you feel comfortable with them. Explain your situation, and go from there, particularly if this is an older used coach, talk with the inspector about what level of wear you are comfortable with as the NRVIA standards are to write up and photograph anything that looks to be in less than new perfect condition. As a result a by the book inspection on an older coach could end up showing page after page of small dings, chips, wear marks, etc. As there is good, then there is good for its age, etc.

As to the drivers seat, assume is it cheap, uncomfortable, worn out and sagging as the RV industry tends to install the cheapest seats they can find, and budget to install something better, though exactly what that might be is hard to say without knowing if we are talking about a Class A, Class C, etc. One popular choice in retrofit driver seating for class A coaches, is to use the second row captain seats out of a Toyota Sienna here is one random link to someone that has done this Toyota Sienna Seats in an RV - Part 1: The Passenger Seat

I bought my trailer 8hrs from here. I have made 2 trips up to where it is and will make one more in April when I go get it.
each trip was a 2 night. We made it a mini vacation covid get away.
First trip was to go see if it was as the owner advertised. The owner had a 4hr drive so we met at around noon on a Saturday. The owner pointed out the warts & we agreed none were show stoppers.
I put down a deposit check contingent on a successful inspection. The seller agreed to hold the check till the inspection.
Nrvia did not have any inspectors where the trailer was (north of Aderondack state park in NY). I hired “Lemon Squad” as they had someone who would travel that far. The inspection did not uncover any show stoppers either so we contacted the seller and agreed to purchase.
I used an online legal contract service to make a bill of sale that had the conditions I wanted and would be NY compliant and satisfy MA for transferring the title. We did the transaction at the sellers bank. My bank check made out to the sellers bank to pay off the loan and release the lien on the title. The bank issued a release of lien document, we all signed the papers in front of a Notary and I took possession of the title & keys.
The DW and I then went to the trailer (parked for the winter at the original selling dealership), put some stuff inside and photographed and measured everything.

I think your 10hr for all practical purposes is the same as our 8hr.
The cost of a 2 night trip is small compared to making a many thousand dollar mistake. If the cost is an issue, then you can’t afford to own it even if you buy it.

my $0.02

The library is in limbo, not available until top management determines how it will work across the platforms.
I'd like to have a dollar for every RV /Trailer I have looked at that were a bit mis-represented. Not trying to distract you, I guess I personally would go look at it, THEN if I like it, put a conditional deposit on it, upon satisfactory RV inspection.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I was worried that I would be expected to put down a deposit before I drove down to look at it, it's a relief to see the order of things--what is the amount of time that is expected/allowed for each step? I have the same issue with NRVIA, nobody nearby, so I found a rig where there is one, haha.

I am looking at a new Class C, so the seats will be generally the same as every other E-450? I used to drive an E-350/450 bucket truck; probably about the same?

I don't know if I would agree with that, too many horror stories out there about even the more reputable RV manufacturers trying to slip one by on the customers. One that comes to mind is a saga from one of the online forums a couple of years ago where someone I think in California had bought a brand new class A motorhome,, just happened to climb onto the roof and find a patch on the roof of their brand new coach. Apparently someone at the factory cut a refrigerator vent hole through the roof, when the coach was equipped with the optional residential refrigerator hence no roof vent. Then rather than installing a whole new roof, they just patched it. As I recall the unhappy new owners went a few rounds with the company, eventually the coach was driven back half way across the country to the factory where it received a new roof, and was then delivered to the buyers a couple of months and a few thousand miles later.

The moral of the story is to inspect, inspect, inspect, either doing it yourself or hiring a qualified inspector, because I am sure that if the owner had not climbed up on the roof and saw this patch no one at the delivery dealership would have said a thing about it, and good luck trying to get it resolved after the 12 month warranty is over if you had not spotted it by then.

Back
Top Bottom