Newcomer needs park in Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyehfla

Glad this forum is available. Just bought a truck to handle my new trailer upgrade & will be starting the snowbird thing next year & will need lots of help. First question is where is there a reasonable park (under $500) for 6 mos. to stay in Florida. Has anyone stayed @ Vista Del Lago in Bradenton?

That breaks down to about $2.50 per day. Good luck finding something that cheap. If you do find someplace, please let us know where. Thanks.  Maybe you meant $500.00 per month and not for six months. I may have just initially read it wrong?

I hope you meant $500/month. That is probably do-able, but maybe not in the premium areas. I know that around where we live near Ocala, you can get winter sites for as little as $300-$400 per month. Florida is a big place, and climate varies quite a bit from north to south. Are you focused on the Bradenton area, or just looking anywhere in Florida?

Vista del lago is more like a mobile home park, but they have some RV sites available. Have you called to check their rates?

We RV'd at a similar type of facility in St Petes for years, which is only about 20 miles or so north of that park.  we enjoyed it for what it was, but you have to understand what it is, and that is a place to park your rig, with a minimum of amenities.  You will be in an area that has decent weather, but is a ways from the beach, although Anna Maria Island and Longboat Key are prime tourist areas and not too far away by distance, but it takes a while to drive because of heavy traffic.  However, if you are looking for decent weather, good shopping nearby, lots to see and do, those types of campsites offer those.
      However, I would suggest you try to find someone who has actually stayed there.  Have you tried the campground review sites?

Ed 

This is in the Deland, FL area, about 40 miles north of Orlando.  I've stayed there a couple of times to visit my parents that live in Deland at an Assisted living facility.  I enjoy my stay as I love to fish and it is out in the country, yet only 5 miles to town.  It's on the lake and they have boat rentals if you like to fish, or pontoon rentals if you like to float and bake.  For 6 months or more their rates are $425 a month plus tax, which runs about 12%, see the chart;

http://www.hpfishcamp.com/rates

Now this is not your "upscale" CG, all dirt roads, camp store is more of a bait shop, and their "bass pond", is more of a place to lose a lure.  The place to fish is in the real lake.  I've seen bald eagles, deer, and other critters at this CG.  Again, not luxury, fishing, wildlife, and a good central location close to lots of FL attractions, 1 hour to amusement parks, Daytona, Ocala, etc..

Check out Wekiva Falls, Sorrento.  http://www.wekivafallsresort.com/    It is a little north of Orlando also.  We stayed there 2 winters it's a great park.  It's reasonable a standard site is $499.+ tax + elec. (ours ran about $65 a month.)  They charge extra for wifi and cable if you need them though.  We have satellite and a hotspot on our tablet.  Laundry is expensive so we went into Sanford to a laundromat.  It was less expensive and did a better job.

We are staying in Vero Beach this winter.  It's only a little bit more expensive $572. per month (this includes tax!) + elec.  but closer to the beach and friends for us.
http://verobeachkamp.com/home  We drove through it last winter and while smaller than Wekiva, it looked nice. 

If you haven't made a decision yet, I hope this helps.  If you find other places in the price range, please share them as we are always looking :D  Have a great first winter!

JoAnn

When you are calling about rates and you better start calling right now because finding 6 months in a row in just one park for $500 a month is not easy.My budget was under $400 a month but this year I am splurging at $524 a month for 4 months but I love the park. The $524 includes all utilities and they let me pick out a super nice lot.

When you do call, be sure to clarify what's included in the monthly rent. Some charge extra for electric, some include it. Everybody has a different deal about what they include and what they nickel and dime you for, no 2 parks alike. Some have ten different rent structures based on your length of stay.

I like to careen around Florida in the winter, but it's hard to do because the under $500 parks fill up really quickly.  Another odd thing, is that numerous upon numerous RV parks in Florida and all over America still refuse to be on the internet. This can be maddening, because some are super nice parks with great rates, you only find out about them through sheer luck.

Beware of bait and switch. Call to verify the internet rates, many parks refuse to update their rate page and this can come as a surprise when you check in and find out the new rates are double because they refuse to update their rate page. Also, more than a few won't publish their rates at all. I think that is crazy too.

Another thing to check on are the rates charged for electricity.  While Florida regulates the rates to the park, once on their site, they can charge whatever they can get away with.  One park we used to frequent charged almost double the rate the electric utility was charging them.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Another thing to check on are the rates charged for electricity.  While Florida regulates the rates to the park, once on their site, they can charge whatever they can get away with.  One park we used to frequent charged almost double the rate the electric utility was charging them.

Ed
You're so right Ed!  At Wekiva Falls we paid 16 cents per kwh,  The park in Vero Beach charges 11 cents per kwh.  That's a big difference.  The Vero park said that is exactly what they are charged.  I've been finding most of the parks booking monthly are charging for electricity. 

JoAnn

Thanks to all who replied, your info was helpful. After researching parks, prices, reviews etc. I was able to choose a park that offered great amenities. I realized I would pay more stateside, but averaging the 2 parks I was @ $500 per/mo. + electricity.
My husband & I had a mfg. home in Bradenton for 2 years in early 2000. We had travelled to this area for almost 30 yrs. (loving every moment) & have family in Sun City Center. Our dream was to purchase a 5th. wheel & truck & snowbird when I retired. Unfortunately he passed last year from battling cancer. I just upgraded my 15' travel trailer to a 25ft micro lite & jeep to a dodge ram 1500. Next year I will live the dream as a full timer for both of us. Thanks again, Joy 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom