Newcomer, not much water pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davem1958

I'm new to RVs, but i jumped in head-first.  I'm full-time with a 2006 HR Vacationer.  One problem I'm having is a low water flow.  When I'm hooked up to city water, and I turn on a tap, I get a nice flow for a few seconds, then not much.  If I turn on the water pump, I get a respectable flow again.

Is there a value somewhere that needs tweaking?  I tried removing the inline pressure regulator, but didn't help.

dave

Check the shore water hose and inlet for a screen that has become obstructed.  Ther is usually a screen at the water inlet.

IN addition many RVs they suggest (if they do not just install) a Water Pressure Regulator,, And you may have a water filter as well, in your inlet line.

here is what I find.

Direct hook up, no filter, no regulator, Full pressure all the time, however I've seen leakage from the pressure/temperture relief valve on my water heater (In short, "City" water was too high pressure)

Put a regulator in the line... and if it's working properly you should still have full pressure, but without the "However" above.  I very strongly suggest you do this

Put a water filter in the line (and again, I suggest you do this) and the flow will be restricted.  As you have noticed
in fact you described EXACTLY what I observe with a filter in the line.

So, what do you do:

Well... Putting the filter AHEAD of the regulator may inprove water flow, the risk here is if the city/park water pressure goes too high it can blow up your filter (Not dramatic, just causes a crack in the outer housing in most cases, not dangerous but of course you now need a new, EXPENSVIE filter)

Using a bigger filter will also help, or perhaps a different type of filter (though there is a trade off here)

The solution I use is to use the stored water, refilling before I leave camp or when the level in the tank gets down a bit, from park water, filtered.

Also, some brands of Filters (I have a CAMCO I think it's a CRX-90) can be cleaned to improve flow rate

This filter is supposed to pass 3 gallons per minute,,, I was down to about one before I cleaned it  Cleaned it per instructions and it came right back up to speed.

So, check any and all filters, including inlet screens, check the hose for kinks and such, and hopefully it will clear up

NOTE: most parks I've been my recording pressure guage never goes over 60 psi (40 is normal) howeve in at least one park I have seen pressure go from 10 to almost 100 PSI, this kind of pressure will pop connectors and lines and such in your motor home.. So Please use a regulator

Thanks for all the replies!  I removed the pressure regulator, flushed it, and put it back and now I have better flow.

Dave

A follow-up question: it seems that the device attached to my city water inlet acts more like a flow-regulator.  How can I tell the difference?  How does a pressure regulator work?  It seems like it would have to release water to reduce the pressue.  Any mechanical engineers out there?

Dave

The typical Marshall Brass regulator also restricts the flow rate.  They are often designed for irrigation systems where the flow rate is much lower than we require in an RV.  We use a whole house style regulator as a result.

How does a pressure regulator work?  It seems like it would have to release water to reduce the pressue.  Any mechanical engineers out there?

In its simplest form, a pressure regulator is a spring-operated check valve. More sophisticated models have pressure feedback "circuits", multiple stages of control, etc., but basically its still  a valve that is counter-balanced with spring pressure. The spring provides the basic control and the pressure in the fluid/gas being regulated modulates that, making the valve open/close in response to difference in pressure on either side of the valve.

Here's a website with a layman's explanation of a simple pressure regualtor. It's for air pressure in paintball guns, but the principle is the same.
http://www.docsmachine.com/tech/regs.html

So yes, a pressure regulator is also a flow regulator. Pressure on the output side drops as the flow decreases because demand excceeds supply until the valave opens again. But more importantly, the typical RV regulator has a small maximum bore, so that flow is rather limited even when the regulator valve is wide open. The usual Marshall Brass inline regulator has a max flow of less than 2 gallons per minute, probably half as much as you may be accustomed to at home. Use of a larger "whole house" regulator will increase the max flow rate substantially. Adapters to mate these regulators to hose thread are readily available at Home Depot, Lowes and hardware stores.

In today's FMCA magazine (Well this months) there is a "TIP' where someone took a look at his RV pressure regulator and noticed the teeny tiney hole

So he got a home-adjustable, pressure regulator, guage, soem fittings and hoses, and made a big one, it's 3/4 inch and can pass a lot more water

So he got a home-adjustable, pressure regulator, guage, soem fittings and hoses, and made a big one, it's 3/4 inch and can pass a lot more water

He probably learned that here years ago and now got himself $25 for sending in a "tip". Maybe we should start charging?  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom