Newcomer to RV Scene, gonna need your help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parkerrver

Hello everyone,
My wife and I (you know it was her decision, I just have to do the dirty work..ha ha) have just made the decision to purchase a new travel trailer. We are looking at a Coachmen Capri 27TBS. We have two little ones and like the bunk beds and the slide out. Any "opinions" on the Coachmen models. Any assistance from your vast knowledge in this field would be appreciated! ( I know you you guys/gals have the knowledge, I have been reading your numerous forum topics the past few days )
Thanks,
parkerrver

Hi:  good for you on that decision.  I'm sure those "two little ones" will thoroughly enjoy the experiences, as you will too.

Ciao,

Doug

Hi and welcome to the RV Forum.  Glad to see that you have found us.  We hope that you will get many years of pleasant use from your Coachman Capri 27-TBS (assuming that you go ahead with the purchase  ;D).  I am not particularly knowledgeable on travel trailers although I rented some when we were considering buying an RV many years ago.  So, I can't give you any facts on the unit.  However, I am sure that others here can give you their thoughts on the Coachman line.

I presume from your message that this will be strictly a vacation trailer and that you will not be living in it full time.  As a vacation unit the size and accomodations are probably just fine but if you are thinking of using it for a full timing "home" it's definitely too small!

IAC, as I said, welcome to the forum.  Feel free to ask any questions that you have and/or jump into any ongoing conversation if you have something to add.

parkerrver said:
Hello everyone,
My wife and I (you know it was her decision, I just have to do the dirty work..ha ha) have just made the decision to purchase a new travel trailer. We are looking at a Coachmen Capri 27TBS. We have two little ones and like the bunk beds and the slide out. Any "opinions" on the Coachmen models. Any assistance from your vast knowledge in this field would be appreciated! ( I know you you guys/gals have the knowledge, I have been reading your numerous forum topics the past few days )
Thanks,
parkerrver

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Glad you found us.  Congratulations on the soon to be your travel trailer.  I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Yhanks for joining us.

parkerrver said:
Hello everyone,
Thanks,
parkerrver

Welcome to the forum! You will get lots of answers here to the many questions that will pop up. :) I have no personal experience with travel trailers other than doing the pre delivery inspections on some along with the orientation. I have a part time job at a dealership during the summer. We do not carry Coachmen so I can't speak about their quality. Just be sure to look everything over carefully to be sure it's what you want.

A trailer that size should have a load leveling hitch and anti sway bar. Be sure you learn how to hook it up properly or it won't do you any good. I have seen too many trailers going down the road with a leveling system out of adjustment. The idea is to have the tow vehicle and trailer in a flat plane. Too much weight on the rear makes steering feel like you are on ice. Too much in the front causes unstable conditions when driving. Once it's adjusted properly it should tow like a dream.

I hope you find the trailer you want and have many enjoyable miles of seeing this great country. It should be a wonderful learning experience for the little ones.

Thanks Jim. My next door neighbor has a 30 ft. TT and just came back from a weekend at the lake. I had a great opportunity to see him unhitch the unit and he expalined some of the hitch features. He also mentioned that he pulls the unit to the end of the street (to the high school) and levels it on the parking lot before taking off. The dealership is going to install all the required items (what you mentioned) on my 03 Tahoe(w/ towing package) the day we pick it up. The dealer seemed respectful of my questions and concerns.....Looks like my wife is in contact with the dealer now, we might be rolling by week end. :)

parkerrver said:
Thanks Jim. My next door neighbor has a 30 ft. TT and just came back from a weekend at the lake. I had a great opportunity to see him unhitch the unit and he expalined some of the hitch features. He also mentioned that he pulls the unit to the end of the street (to the high school) and levels it on the parking lot before taking off. The dealership is going to install all the required items (what you mentioned) on my 03 Tahoe(w/ towing package) the day we pick it up. The dealer seemed respectful of my questions and concerns.....Looks like my wife is in contact with the dealer now, we might be rolling by week end. :)

That's great you have a neighbor who seems to know what needs to be done. Will save you a lot of anxiety when you pick up your rig. ;D Be sure the person who does the orientation goes over EVERYTHING! Many times they try to cut corners to get the job done quickly. It takes me about 1 1/2 hours to do a rig and that, sometimes, isn't enough.

Jim, I'm not sure if you allow/encourage it, but we also video taped the walk-through of our coach.

Tom said:
Jim, I'm not sure if you allow/encourage it, but we also video taped the walk-through of our coach.

Tom,

I certainly don't encourage it but do allow it. Don't think I look good on film. ;D ;D I have had several people video tape the session. I agree it can be a great reminder because nobody can remember everything that is said during an orientation. It becomes even more complicated when you throw in a diesel chassis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom