Newcomer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan Walters

Hi, my name is Dan Walters and I am the proud new owner of a 1998 Allegro 25' Class A motorhome.  This is not my first motorhome, although it has been almost 20 years since the first one (a 1982 Allegro 29') so I am all but starting over and learning again.  I do have one question.  The coach is sitting out in an open lot for now until I build a canopy for it.  Should I cover it with a tarp or just leave it out in the open until the shed is finished?  Thanks, and I look forward to learning -- again.

Dan Walters

It has probably been sitting outside since it was built in 1998, so a few more weeks or months won't make any difference. 

These are RVs, Dan. They are supposed to be outdoors!  ;)  I've been at the Tiffin facory and they store them outside even when new.

I agree with Gary..leave it open to the air.  Tarps can result in mildew formation and RV covers made of Tyvek though they breath are notorious for scuffing the painted finish due to flutter in the wind.

If you're planning to build a storage barn, leave plenty of room for future possible upgrades to a longer coach possibly with more slide outs.

I also agree with Gary, Leave it open to the air.  Putting a cover over it can cause chaffing of the outer surface.  We are fulltimers and or Eagle has never been covered since new. 

I take it that goes for Travel Trailers too?
I'm picking up an Outback from a dealer tomorrow that's been sitting outside since last summer since it's an 06.? I was planning on buying a cover since it won't be protected from the VA sun.? Is there a wax or protectant of some kine in lieu of a cover that I should consider?

Thanks.

Strabo

Our Motorhomes always set Outside in the harsh 4 seasons of ILLINOIS.  Now our MH and Enclosed trailer sit O/S in the harsh sunlight and heat of the Arizona Desert.  I wax it about 3 times a year and let the rain wash it  That Happened once this year,  Never rains here. Would never use a Tarp

Back
Top Bottom