NewEgg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Has anyone here ever ordered from Newegg?  They have a Garmin gps (2620) I want for $809 plus shipping and no sales tax.  Best Buy sells the same one for $1155 including tax.  I'd like to work up enough nerve to order from Newegg.

The only reason I would want to return the unit would be if it was defective.  Newegg only allows replacement by the same item on this type of item.

I tried one from Best Buy and I loved it.  But I took it back today (bought it yesterday) because the AC adapter was missing a prong.

Since Bronco One in Phx has closed I don't really have a recommendation for purchasing a Garmin.  Phil has a place so maybe he will jump in here with his recommendation.

Biggest reason I cannot recommend the 2620 is I want to be able to upload maps besides the very lacking City Nav.  I use Metroguide when City Nav has no clue where the roads are. I also load Topo maps.  I want to be able to do this to meet my requirements not somebody at Garmins idea of what they think I need.
2610 with a 1 or 2 GB flash card does just fine.

Smoky

You could ask Best Buy if they'll match the price. I had an outsanding price on a marine GPS chartplotter at WMP by asking them if they'd match an internet price. They said "provided you can print the web page".

Smoky

I haven't ordered from Newegg but they have a very good rating within the online buying networks. For someone else, I got a price of $587.99, after a $75 rebate on the 2610 and including shipping and sales tax from GPSexplorer.com. They have a 5 star seller's rating, like Newegg. The 2620 was $855.99 before $90 rebate.

For the $193 difference, I'd go for the 2610 and get a 1GB CF card and still be $150 ahead.

I have bought from Newegg several times.  The orders were completed promptly and shipped when promised, usually the same or next day.  I found their prices to be competitive, but price is everything.

Smokey

I have bought from Newegg & have had no problems....However I have bought all my GPS equip? for years from TVNAV.com & highly recommend them.

Terry
At Monument Valley, AZ

Ron:

Believe it or not, there is plenty of room to upload additional maps on the 2620.  That is one of their big selling points.  Not only does it have all the US basic and metro installed, there is plenty of room left for anything additional you wish to upload.  That is one of the reasons they supply the usb cable.

Tom:

Our local Best Buys all have fine print wording in their price guarantee that they only match local pricing.  I tried to get them to look at NewEgg but as soon as they realized it is California based, they said no.

Thanks all for the good words on NewEgg.  I returned the 2620 today to Best Buy and will order from them instead.

Ron said:
Smoky,

I still think solid state memory shopuld be more reliable than a rotating micro drive.
I agree 100% Ron, but you know that comment will set Ned off again on his speech about how reliable HDs are (g).

Tom said:
Ron said:
Smoky,

I still think solid state memory shopuld be more reliable than a rotating micro drive.
I agree 100% Ron, but you know that comment will set Ned off again on his speech about how reliable HDs are (g).

HD reliability has greatly improved but so has solid state memory.  I chose the flash card over the HD.

Hard drives have MTBFs of 100,000 hours or more and flash memory has a limit of how many write cycles it will take.  I suspect either will outlive all of us :)

I've yet to see a HD last 100K hours with the kind of treatment I give it. What's the source for that claim? Since it's a prediction based on calculation, any statement of MTBF has to be qualified with some parameters and a confidence level. One of the oldest tricks is to use a lower CL to be able to quote a higher MTBF, and put the low CL in small print. Another is to use parameters that don't represent real life.

But I always get a chuckle when you quote the number  ;D

How many hard drives have you known to fail in normal use?  I have never had a drive fail in use, but I have had out of box failures.  Those were about 30 years ago.

Ned said:
How many hard drives have you known to fail in normal use?? I have never had a drive fail in use, but I have had out of box failures.? Those were about 30 years ago.
Two HD failures just last year on two different computers. :(? Glad I had a backup. :D

Ned said:
How many hard drives have you known to fail in normal use?

I've lost count. What was the source of the 100K hours data?

I've had two disk drive failures in about 5-6 years; my daughter had one (but that probaly diid have 100 k hours on it) and my BIL had one as well.

The major drive manufacturers all quote a 100k hour MTBF and have for years but I've never seen any details.  Don't know if it applies to microdrives.  And they never show the shape of the bell curve either!  For all we know it could well be a low rectangle with failures equally distributed over time.

I've bought from Newegg in the past 6 monhs and have been entirely satisifed.

RV Roamer said:
And they never show the shape of the bell curve either! For all we know it could well be a low rectangle with failures equally distributed over time.

Kinda like saying the mean life of males in the USA is x years.

I have had HD failures, and they were always on units manufactred by - well, I can't mention the name, but it sounds like MAXTOR. Some units run much hotter than others, and that shortens the MTBF. Adequate cooling is essential. Also, frequent power-up/power-down shortens their life.

kkolbus said:
Some units run much hotter than others, and that shortens the MTBF. Adequate cooling is essential. Also, frequent power-up/power-down shortens their life.

Those are examples of the parameters that need to accompany any claim of MTBF. Most reliability models show that MTBF decreases exponentially with temperature.

Most hard drives don't die, they're killed, usually by insufficient cooling.  When installed properly and kept at the proper temperature, they will run nearly forever.  Another major contributor in my experience, is powering off and on frequently.  This will shorten the life of any electronic component, moving parts or not.  I run my computers 24x7 and have had only one drive go bad in over 20 years.  That one was in a notebook that was about 10 years old and spent about 4 years bouncing on the dash of the motor home.  That drive probably had >65,000 hours on it and was made before the current models with the 100,000+ hour MTBF.

Back
Top Bottom