Newmar in the wind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysamm

Here is my question for all of the Newmar owners.  I hate to drive in the wind, Before I upgrade from my class c I would like to know more about class A's and if they are better performers in the wind?  I'm not talking hurricane force winds just the typical gusts from weather and the passing trailer trucks :-\

The handling of a large vehicle is more a function of the wheelbase to length ratio, the type of front suspension (solid axle or IFS), air bags or springs, and wheel alignment than the body shape.  In general, a class A has a lower center of gravity than a class C and this also makes a difference.  Our previous 28' class C drove just fine and our current 38' class A does also.  Test drive any model you're interested in to see how it handles.

Rubysamm,

>>Test drive any model you're interested in to see how it handles.<<

The only caveat to this is remember the unit will be nearly empty when you test it so it will be a little lighter and perform a little differently than one that is loaded.  We were fortunate to be able to ride and drive other peoples MHs to get a feel for the one we ordered.  Worked out great.

Driving our 38' MH is easier than the car in all but high winds.  It is very steady and non-tiring.  A day in the MH is easier than a day in the car.  VBG

Like Jim suggested test drive any models that interest you.? Our American Eagle is easy to drive in the wind or any other condition we have encountered.? My wife does 90% of the driving.? I think you will find that coaches with IFS are easier to drive.? American Coaches, Newmar, Country Coach and Travel Supreme are some that have IFS.

Rubysamm:

My Newmar Kountry Star KS3910 pusher drives effortlessly in the wind, whether from nature or from 18 wheels passing by.  In fact I often wonder how the 18 wheeler is faring. 

I definitely agree with Ned about test driving the heck out of whatever you are considering.  And I agree with Ron that IFS makes a significant improvement in wind handling.  We test drove both IFS and non IFS and felt much more stable in the IFS coaches.

I second Neds original reply, how well a coach handles in the wind depends quite a bit on the wheel base. I have a 34' Pace Arrow with one rear axle with dual tires and a lot of overhand behind it. My friend has an almost identical coach, a 37 foot 92 Southwind with dual rear axles with dual tires and less overhang. His coach is much easier to control in adverse conditions than mine.
Of course when we replace tires I replace 6 and he replaces 10.

Woody

Thanks for the input guys.
Smokey I'm a little distressed for you that your signature indicates your "Not happy, still looking for a winter spot"? I enjoy reading your posts and it sounds like your having a good time with all of your adventures so wouldn't you say your happy?
just an observation from a NewEnglander facing a snowy winter ahead!!!? YUCK  :'( :'(
Lori
www.limuoceanstate.originallimu.com

LOL rubySam  (Lori)!  Your observations are right on the money!

Yes we have been having the time of our lives.  And yes, we were unhappy last week with the initial reaction to the El Mirage RV resort.  We have been looking for an Arizona park where we would have lots of activities, a nice spot for the coach, and an on site golf course.  When we arrive there it was on Friday night, and what we failed to realize was that the season does not start until November 1.  This is our first time in AZ and we assumed it would be more like the east coast with snowbirds pouring in all through October.  Apparently out here the mass migration occurs a month later.

As a result, when we came in, the staff had gone off duty for the entire weekend, the place was dead as a doornail, and we were parked in a very muddy field but with full hookups.  Parking transients in the newly developed park areas is standard practice for parking transients.  The mud came from leaky fire hoses providing water for the golf course which is being re-seeded.

The whole picture began to change Sunday afternoon when the activities director had come across an unhappy message from us on another RV forum and came knocking on our door.  This effort alone cheered us up, that someone would go out of their way to meet unhappy potential customers.  By yesterday we had found a prime spot, already landscaped by the previous owners and one block away from the pool and office complex.  Today we signed an annual contract and tomorrow we go shopping for a golf cart and a shed.  We have already met some of the neighbors on our street (the ones who stay all year round or like us, come in a month early for the winter season) and they are wonderful people and full of tips and offers of help.

A real surprise is that a neighbor across the street told us that the lot next to us will soon be occupied by an annual tenant who is a Newmar employee and drives a Mountain Aire.  Wow!  A Newmar expert right next door!!

Note:  we have changed our sig line to indicate complete happiness  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom