Newmar vantana 2008 im having problems when i plug my rv in to power from my house its not powering anything on my rv as in the refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have power to the 120V wall outlets? What about the microwave or the TV? Is there power to anything that doesn't use 12V? Do you have an onboard generator and if so have you tried it? With the generator running do the 120V things work?

Monte,
It may be something simple that you could find in the manual.
Do you have the manual or at least the make/model of the inverter to look it up?
We can't help you past WAG as to what or where to look.
Matt

Which model Ventana? I'm presuming it's a 50 amp coach, so I'll ask how you have it plugged in to the house? First what kind of plug in the house are you plugged in to (regular house outlet at 15 amps, or??), then what kind of adapter(s) are you using between the coach and the house. And what else in the house is running on the same circuit.

As far as the inverter, that is designed to change the 12V DC battery power into 120V AC when you are NOT plugged in, and it shouldn't be a concern when you have plugged in to shore power.

So let's take it a step at a time. Your coach is sitting there unplugged, but with the battery power switch turned on so that lights and such work OK.

Now when you plug in the coach to the house and do NOTHING else, what condition is shown on the power monitor (probably overhead just inside the door)? What does it show for a power source? Is the microwave lit up? Is there power at any of the outlets? If not, then check the house circuit breakers and be sure that nothing in the house is running on that circuit -- keeping in mind that there is usually more than one outlet (often 4, 5, or more) on a circuit breaker, perhaps lights on, maybe a fridge plugged in to it, or other things.

Also, in the power compartment on the coach (left rear on my 2016 Ventana), is there perhaps a surge protector? If so, does it indicate power coming in?

Hope the above gets you started in finding your problem.

Automatic Transfer switch is my first suspect. I'm pretty sure a 2008 Ventana would have an ATS.
What type of outlet are you plugging in to?

I think my problem is I don't know anything about the inverter and where to set it for what I'm doing

Automatic Transfer switch is my first suspect.
I agree with ChasA. Your inverter is not involved in supplying anything when you have 120V supplied by either the generator or the power cord. It is just a pass-through device with 120V supplied and works exactly the same way with either source of 120V. If it works from the generator it would be no different with shore power as they are exactly the same once into the 120V distribution panel. The ATS does control both 120V supplies and it selects between the two, with a preference for the generator and when the generator is not running it should automatically connect the power cord, even if that cord is not plugged in. It is time to get your volt/ohm meter out and monitor the output of your automatic transfer switch.

On our rig, if you hit the salesman switch near the door, it shuts off everything and it's a great reboot switch. If you don't have one, try disconnecting the battery to reboot? Good luck

The converter-inverter issue is immaterial since we are talking plugged in and 125Vac. I suggest the following sequence:
a. Check the house outlet for ac Voltage - Multimeter or plug in a light or similar.
b. Plug in the cord (with adaptor) to the house outlet.
c. Turn on an ac appliance such as the microwave; verify it works;
(1) If not suspect, Adapter, Power Cord, Transfer Switch, or main Circuit Breaker in that order.
(2) If ok suspect Fridge Breaker, Fridge Socket, Fridge itself.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom