Next, slideout bearings/bushings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayjens adventure

2004 38ft Adventurer, front and rear tv's to LCDs, Stearsafe installed,new tires,ok slideout here I come.Any updates on bearing installation is welcome. I called HWH for parts, one week later they called back. Wish me luck.

The main slideout has nylon[?] bushings/bearings the slide mechanism rides in and out on. Mine have been falling out in pieces.

I paid a Winnie dealer maybe $1000 to replace nylon pads on my previous 2002 Adventurer, and the tech told me they had to cut the pads to size from a large sheet.  Next time I would do it myself.  The pads were accessed by extending the slide, then using a car jack and 4x4 to elevate the slide as much as possible.  He was then able to reach in under the slide and access and replace the pads.  Not all slides are built the same way, but yours probably are.  BTW, WalMart and others have nylon cutting boards($10) that I would consider using as pad material.  I bought two to temporarily use inside under the slide as I retracted, so it wouldn't drag on the carpet.  And I would certainly use plenty of blocking before i stuck my hand in there!!

rayjens adventure said:
The main slideout has nylon[?] bushings/bearings the slide mechanism rides in and out on. Mine have been falling out in pieces.

Same here on my 2004 Meridian.  A couple years ago I ordered a set of the nylon bushings from HWH hoping to replace them myself as one of the posters had done so on his 2007 or 2008 in an hour's time.  But unfortunately the 2004 mechanisms are made somewhat differently and the top pad is next to impossible to remove which then is supposed to allow jacking up the ram to be able to remove the lower bushings that are breaking up.  Called Forest City to see how this replacement is done,  got one "not sure" and another answer from a tech who had to ask around but there didn't seem to be a consenses  in the shop how to do this.

Still hoping to hear from someone with a 2004-2005 model who has had this done, or hopefully who has done it themselves.

Wagonmaster2 are you referring to the flat nylon bushings or the triangle ones. If it is the flat ones in the front the only way to remove the top ones are to use a hacksaw blade and cut the peg off of it. Once that is done remove the bushing and push the peg out the bottom and remove, Then you can raise the slide and remove and replace the bottom bushings. The replacement bushings for the top do not have the pegs attached so you just position the the bushing inplace and push the peg down into the hole from the top and then force it into the hole in the bushing. I will post photos soon.

Thanks Mike.  My original concern was the lower flat bushings at first but the others probably need replacing also if the room is completely removed in order to replace the lower ones.  I haven't looked lately, but the best I can remember that top flat bushing that must be removed first hand is almost impossible to reach the holes on top of the ram machinery where the posts go down through.

Did you do one ram at a time, or jack both of them up at the same time?  Have you replaced any of the other bushings besides the two lower flat ones on each ram?  I'm sure if the lower ones are breaking up the triangle ones are probably getting in bad condition also.

Thanks again for your time and trouble answering my questions.

I did them one at a time because you do not have to raise the ram that much to replace the bottom ones. as for the triangle ones they need to be done at HWH if you can get there. I had them replaced first by a dealer in Nc and they went bad again in a year. HWH actually removes the rams. They open your slide and support it and the open the accesses in the compartments on the passenger side. disconnect the rams from the slide and then pull the rams our thru the accesses. They charge 3 hours per ram so a total of 6 hours for the whole slide. They can do all of the other bushings at the same time if you ask. They had 5 guys working for those 6 hours and still only charged 6 hours total.

Is HWH still using the whiteish colored bushings?  When I ordered my a few years ago that's what they sent me but one of the Posters who was replacing his himself stated he got black ones which seemed to be stronger than the original ones.  After receiving my order from them I called and asked about the black ones but was told no one there knew anything about black ones, only the white ones were being used.

I replaced the bottom pads on both rams. Very difficult and had to call HWH to learn about cutting top retaining plug to be able to raise and remove bottom pads. Now I need to call HWH for help to replace top pads. The retaining plugs cannot be put in place. Also , the triangle slides are failing, that will be a trip to HWH.

Is there a consenses  as to which is the best place to take your coach for replacement of all the bushings at the same time,  HWH or Forest City?  I can see that Forest City has the equipment and know-how if the whole room must be removed, but also that HWH knows their slide mechanisms and how they work.

Please keep us posted if anyone comes up with how to replace that top bushing that is almost if not completely impossible to reach the nylon posts that have to come down from the top.  I think someone finally realized the problem and remedied it in models after 2004-2005 (or maybe even 2006).

A friend just had it done at Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City. he had to have a hose and the bearings replaced. $1,035.

They are still using the white bushings but the triangle ones have changed in composition. They are supposed to be a harder material that I hope will last longer. It has been 4 months since the change out and everything is still working well.

rayjens adventure said:
I replaced the bottom pads on both rams. Very difficult and had to call HWH to learn about cutting top retaining plug to be able to raise and remove bottom pads. Now I need to call HWH for help to replace top pads. The retaining plugs cannot be put in place. Also , the triangle slides are failing, that will be a trip to HWH.

Those top pads are the ones that really have me concerned.  Those plugs that hold the top pads in place are hardly even visiable let alone in a place that can be reached to replace them.  Guess they must have done some re-arranging things in the newer coaches since one of the Posters stated he could change the lower bushings on both ends of the slide in less than a couple of hours.

I took my coach to a neighborhood repair facility and they contacted HWH for directions on how to properly replace the upper bushings.  Unfortunately the instructions were to pull the entire slide off, then the bushings are located on the ram which must be removed.. 

So, now I must go to a larger facility that has the proper equipment for the replacement.

When the slide is out, is there anything that is suppose to be lubricated once in a while? Nothing in my owners manual that I can see on the subject!

Scott  :)

Back
Top Bottom