next thursday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jr brown

Active member
Joined
Jun 18, 2018
Posts
30
:)Time is near next Thursday we leave on our 1st big trip 10 days in the Up of Michigan. The Dw Jeffrey our black lab and myself. My wife and I worked hard all of our lives and now is the time to enjoy our lives. My wife just got her 1st ss check and I want this trip to be special for her. With all the floods that we have had in the UP iam not sure we can get to where we want to go . Copper Harbor is where we would like to end up but will settle anywhere  just to get away.  we have bought a reel nice used 5th wheel and plan on being gone as much as we  can get away with. We are both a little nerves  about our new way of life but we are going to do it together.  Chief
 

Rene T

Site Team
Joined
May 20, 2011
Posts
18,194
Location
Farmington NH
jr brown said:
:)Time is near next Thursday we leave on our 1st big trip 10 days in the Up of Michigan. The Dw Jeffrey, our black lab and myself.

Your DW name is Jeffery!!!  ;D :D ;) I had to Chief. Have a safe trip and don't forget to have fun.
Note: I threw in the comma.  :eek: ::) :-[
 

FenderP

Well-known member
Joined
May 31, 2018
Posts
443
Rene T said:
Your DW name is Jeffery!!!  ;D :D ;) I had to Chief. Have a safe trip and don't forget to have fun.
Note: I threw in the comma.  :eek: ::) :-[

That?s called the reverse non Harvard comma.  ;D
 

grashley

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2015
Posts
6,586
Location
Western Kentucky
As you probably know, the UP is beautiful!  Hope you can get to the desired areas.

Remember the FW does NOT track like a trailer.  Leave LOTS of extra space around trees in slow speed turns  :-[  Don't ask how I know.
 

Back2PA

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 26, 2015
Posts
5,766
grashley said:
Remember the FW does NOT track like a trailer.  Leave LOTS of extra space around trees in slow speed turns  :-[  Don't ask how I know.


We?ll assume that you know because you Googled it  ;)


Seriously tho, I thought fivers were supposed to be easier moving forward with tighter tracking, and much more maneuverable while backing. No?
 

jackiemac

Site Team
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Posts
6,371
Location
Scotland
Sounds like you both deserve to have a lot of fun. Just take your time and you should be fine. We were told slow and wide...

Watch out for trees....
 

Lou Schneider

Site Team
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Posts
11,167
Sun2Retire said:
Seriously tho, I thought fivers were supposed to be easier moving forward with tighter tracking, and much more maneuverable while backing. No?

You got it backwards, Scott.  ;)

A 5th wheel trailer is more stable than a bumper pull trailer because the 5th wheel hitch is directly over the tow vehicle's rear axle, so side forces on the trailer don't have leverage to affect the direction of the tow vehicle.  But this hitch location means the trailer will offtrack more going around turns than a bumper pull trailer.

Ever see log trucks where long poles are stacked with the front ends on the tractor and the rear ends are on a trailer?  This is called a stinger steered truck and is an exaggerated version of what happens with a bumper pull trailer:

http://www.vannattabros.com/truck57.html

Since a 5th wheel pivots directly over the rear axle, it doesn't have the rear overhang of a bumper pull hitch to steer the trailer around a turn, so a 5th wheel trailer offtracks more than a bumper pull.

When backing, the same overhang behind the rear axle of a pull trailer's hitch amplifies the change in direction when you make a steering correction, making a bumper pull trailer respond more quickly to steering changes than a 5th wheel.

A 5th wheel can get sharper truck to trailer angles than a bumper pull trailer, but it will take longer to get there while backing.
 

jr brown

Active member
Joined
Jun 18, 2018
Posts
30
:p Rene T you got me good so funny I have not told the D W . I drove truck in my young years so the 5th wheel shouldn't be any trouble . Slow is the way to go. Thanks everone.
 

NY_Dutch

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 22, 2010
Posts
6,972
Location
Where our wheels take us!
Lou Schneider said:
Ever see log trucks where long poles are stacked with the front ends on the tractor and the rear ends are on a trailer?  This is called a stinger steered truck and is an exaggerated version of what happens with a bumper pull trailer:

http://www.vannattabros.com/truck57.html

Some years ago, our shop serviced a Canadian based truck/trailer log hauler that had to be the ultimate in maneuverability. Besides the usual stinger steer setup, it also had steerable rear tires, allowing the trailer to track both directly in the trucks tracks, but to even swing wider on turns if needed. I'm thinking what a fantastic TT/5'ver setup that would be in a tight campground!  ;D
 
Top Bottom