Next Toy Hauler and diesel truck need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RSpark

First time as a member to the forum and I love the feedback the community offers. I have already spent five hours researching... so I thought I would post.

Luckily I have been cross country RVing six times over past ten years the last three times towing a hitch mount Toy Hauler besides all the local camping trips.

I am looking at doing much more RVing in 2020 across the US/Canada (from NJ) so thought I would look now at the next used Toy Hauler (with separate garage "wall" - must have to keep wife happy) that will probably be a fifth wheel (if anyone wants to chime in).

From reading the forums I see suggestions about picking camper first and then looking for truck. I want to find the truck and live within those towing parameters for a camper. I am looking for the highest towing capacity diesel crew cab 4WD short bed 6.5', (my thought process is when it is raining and can't take the motorcycle to town I want to be able to park the truck - If I tow with a long bed or dually (higher towing capacity) then when I get to town it will be a challenge to park (also wife can drive truck). What used 2015+ truck has the highest tow capacity? Examples below:

GMC specs on 2500HD crew, std box, 3.73, 4WD, diesel, fifth wheel 13,550
GMC specs on 3500HD crew, std box, 3.73, 4WD, diesel, fifth wheel 17,000

Seems I am limited on fifth wheel Toy Haulers staying with non-dually truck, which is ok. GVWR examples are: Heartland Cyclone is 15,500, Jayco Talon 16,000, Dutchman Voltage 16,000. I could look at smaller ones. So it seems to bump me up to to 3500 series which I think will probably be a very stiff ride when not hauling (as is my 2012 2500HD).... Or are the newer models a little softer when not towing, (wife wants to know)? I am not looking to go huge to the GVWR 18,000 44' type trailers. It is just wife and I and a Harley Ultra Classic wanting a little more space for several extended trips out West.

Currently I have
2003 PlayMor Sportster Deluxe 31? Toy Hauler 310RR by K-Z; GVWR 10,172; UVW 6,010; aprox hitch weight 1,120; New to me 8/19/05
PowerKing Towmax STRII ST225/75/R15 Load Range D/8

Thanks for any feedback.

Welcome from another new guy.  I'm not really that versed in the trailers but I will chime in on the tow rig.  I would go with the 1 ton vs the 3/4 ton.  The ride difference between the two is barely noticeable in a single rear wheel configuration.  In a dually all bets are off.  I know several people who have Ram 3500, Ford F250s, and Chevys.  As much as I hate to admit it the Chevy rides the best out of all three.  I have a Ram 2500 and if I could do it over again I would've gone with the 3500.  Much more capable in my opinion. 

I was also looking for a 5th wheel Toy Hauler that had enough room for a Street Glide and a Tri-Glide. All the 5th wheels I looked at, I would need a 1 ton dually truck. Didn't want a dually even though my next truck will be a 1 ton. Started looking for Toy Hauler trailers under 30' that both bikes would fit in. Didn't care if the garage was separate. Wanted the trailer to have large capacity tanks in case I wanted to rough it for a week. Most we found that had enough CCC only had 30 gallon tanks. Found trailers made by Cruiser Stryker that had enough room for both bikes and larger capacity holding tanks. Smallest model they make with separate garage is 34'5".
GVWR 12,800 Ibs
Dry Weight 7,313 Ibs
Hitch Weight 1,075 Ibs
Carrying Capacity 5,487 Ibs
Width 8 Ft. 6 In.
Height 12 Ft. 8 In.
Length * 34 Ft. 5 In.
Fresh Tank 98 Gal.
Gray Tank 63 Gal.
Black Tank 63 Gal.
Furnace 30,000 BTU
Lp Tank Capacity 60
Converter 55 Amps
Number Of Slides 2
Awning Length 19 Ft.
Bed Dimensions 60" X 89", 72" X 80"

I liked some of their standard equipment.
Heavy Duty Dexter Axles w/ EX Lube hubs 12" Nev-R-adjust brakes, 16" wheels and tires
Gas Shocks
Suspension has wet bolts with built-in grease zerks

https://www.cruiserrv.com/2018/travel-trailers/stryker-toy-hauler/stg-3010/

Welcome to the RV Forum RSpark

I would only ask the question....Why the 5th wheel? I'm thinking you would be able to get a bigger toy hauler with a ball hitch type trailer.

But either way as long as you keep your weight under you cargo capacity.

What will the truck be used for when its not on the RV trip?  After many years of planning on having a toyhauler-camper.........I decided to get a Class-C RV to pull a 16-ft. enclosed aluminum trailer. I am happy and my wife is VERY happy. We have a bike, a street-legal to 45-mph RZR, a kayak, 2 bicycles and all of the spare clothes, food, tools, fuel, and beverages in bins. If I had to do it again, I would get an 18-ft trailer........and more power in the Class-C.

I have pulled toyhaulers with a Ford dually diesel, a Dodge diesel and an E-350 V10.............only the dually gave a stable ride......and all got about the same fuel mileage when fully loaded.

Note.....toyhaulers with steep ramps are a hazard to your bike and your health. In the past 2-years I have helped 3 others get their bikes in and 'caught' one fellow that was falling on his ramp at Daytona.......show bike has scratches ;) 

Old Scrambler thanks for the post. My current 2012 2500HD doesn't get used too much when not camping, 30K miles, so I assume the same with the 3500 I am looking for but we plan to do much more camping in 2020. I still like the pickup setup to have vehicle to go to town in on poor weather days. Plus getting a p/u serviced is usually easier than a motorhome. I want to try to stay away from dually as friend had one who has a landscape business and had a 44' Toy Hauler and tells me the dually was more difficult to drive when not pulling - as we lived in crowded NJ. Plus my wife would never be able to drive a dually.

I agree about the ramps. Not only do you have to worry getting up and down the taller height ramp (with a large Harley), the pivot point is sometimes high causing you to catch the frame (or kickstand spring which broke once and was not fun to deal with). I have put wood under the end of the ramp to create less of a pivot.

So I am looking at a 1 ton, crew cab, 4wd, shorter bed 6.5', diesel and will buy trailer that this type truck can pull. I think I may need a special receiver for short bed.

Any one else want to chime in?

The more research I do the more I want advice.

Let's say a 3500 diesel short box crew cab 4wd has max fifth wheel tow capacity of 17,000.

Fifth wheel Toy Haulers I have researched GVWR are between 13,000 and 17,000 with most around the 16,000-16,500 area (they figured out how to build them to just make it under or equal to tow capacity of this line of trucks). Dry weights are between 11,000-12,500 with carrying capacity of 4,000+.

It all makes me nervous running the limit to what the truck can tow... Does anyone have any advice on this issue?

If I throw a Harley in at almost 1,000 pounds plus all the stuff we put into our campers to live with (I usually don't carry water/sewer with me).... I don't need to be gripping the steering wheel nervous about weights.....

Any 5th-wheelers (non-dually) out there?

GMC/Chevy 3500 diesel short box crew cab 4wd has max fifth wheel tow capacity of 17,000
Ford 350 diesel short box 6.75' 160"wb crew cab 4wd max fifth wheel tow capacity of 20,600*

* Gooseneck tow rating shown. 5th-wheel tow rating limited to 5th-wheel hitch rating of 18,000 with 17" tires. I am a little confused by this... Is it saying 18,000 max or ?

The Ford we seem to give me a greater level of comfort (in terms of not pushing the Max capacity) in towing a GVWR 17,000 Toy Hauler.

Any feedback?

RSpark said:
Any 5th-wheelers (non-dually) out there?

GMC/Chevy 3500 diesel short box crew cab 4wd has max fifth wheel tow capacity of 17,000
Ford 350 diesel short box 6.75' 160"wb crew cab 4wd max fifth wheel tow capacity of 20,600*

* Gooseneck tow rating shown. 5th-wheel tow rating limited to 5th-wheel hitch rating of 18,000 with 17" tires. I am a little confused by this... Is it saying 18,000 max or ?

The Ford we seem to give me a greater level of comfort (in terms of not pushing the Max capacity) in towing a GVWR 17,000 Toy Hauler.

Any feedback?

In my opinion, you need to put the towing numbers out of your mind for now.  With a 5ver you are much more likely to run out of payload capacity before you run out of towing capacity.  A 15K GVWR 5ver will put 3000 lbs of pin weight on the truck...maybe A bit more.  Add in a 5ver hitch (175 lbs) and you're now at 3200 lbs +/- a few.  Many of the higher trim 1Ton SRW truck's will have payload capacities in the 3200-3400 lb range.  So now you have a truck that is at payload limit and you haven't got any reserve for anything else....passenger(s), toolbox, firewood, grill, tools, jacks, etc.  Anything and everything that goes in or on the truck counts against the payload capacity.  So now you are saying....but the tow rating is 17,000 lbs!  Yes it is, but it doesn't say 17,000 lbs of 5th wheel camper. There is a HUGE difference between towing a fifth wheel camper that weighs 17,000 lbs and a fifth wheel flat bed utility/equipment trailer.  So technically, they didn't lie or cheat the numbers, but they also didn't exactly spell it out clearly either. 

So my suggestion is to find out exactly what the payload capacity is for the SRW One Ton truck you like want, then buy a trailer that it will handle....using the 20% times the GVWR of the trailer and allowing for the hitch weight and EVERYTHING that will go in or on the truck..AND... still not be over your truck's payload capacity which is listed on the driver side door post.  You may find that the biggest trailer (5ver type) that you can get and still be within your payload ratings, is going to be in the 12-13K lbs GVWR.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge. Your right the numbers are not clear to newer 5th wheel people. I have had my tag along toy hauler for 13+ years and have loved camping. I just thought time to move up to a 5th and a diesel. I know a dually would be suit my towing needs just not so sure of the non towing needs.
I think you are right go get the exact specs for the truck and figure out what it can safely tow. I have been trying researching online hence all the confusion. At first glance there are very limited choices for a 5th wheel toy hauler under GVWR of 13,000. Maybe go back to looking at a tag along...
At least I still have time since I still like what I have (and it owes me nothing). I just wanted some more room and diesel to make pulling easier. Hershey RV Show is in September so I will also get a better feel for the next one.
Thank you again.

Totally ignore the tow ratings. As xrated noted, you will run out of payload before you hit the tow limit. And while it is a pain to drive a big truck, I wouldn?t call it ?hard?. You just have fewer places to park, and you will be parking farther from the door.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom