Niagara Falls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

normeller

Planning a trip to Niagara in July. Should we stay on the Canadian side?  What about campgrounds in the Toronto area as well.

If you would rather stay on the US side, there used to be a very nice KOA on Grand Island.  A bit up-river of the falls if memory serves... Of course... that was 28 years ago when Wife and I sepent honeymoon in a tent there :)

John In Detroit said:
....when Wife and I sepent honeymoon in a tent there

You spent your honeymoon in a tent  ???  I'm surprised the marriage lasted, but I guess it did  ;D

We stayed at Niagara Falls KOA. Tel. (716) 773-7583. I'm not a lover of KOA parks, but this was convenient for the falls.

As far as the falls area goes, definately stay on the US side at the KOA. It's the nicest campground in the area. The tour bus/van trips make a stop there also.  The Canadian side of the falls is ruined with to many tourist trap type of shops. The US side has controlled the development and left the area much more natural.

We go to Toronto quite often to see realatives. You have the choice of two camp grounds. On the westside, there is the Indian Line campground, just off 427, north of the airport and on the east side there is Glen Rouge Campground, off 401 near the zoo. Both are run by the ciity. We prefer Glen Rouge, but  stay at Indian Line most of the time because it is closer to the folks we visit.

Chet18013

Chets advise about the tourest traps on the Canadian side is absolutely true.  We took some friends from Australia to Niagara Falls and spend several days there.  They enjoyed the falls but did offer one piece of advice which we do adhere to.  They indicated their visit into the business area really detracted from the Beauty of the falls. They indicated the Falls were great but strongly recommended that if we brought anybody to see the Falls in the future do them a favor and DO NOT let them see the Messy carnaval like atmosphere they have in town on the Canadian side and to  just keep guests in the Falls area.  The business section of town on the Canadian side is like a cheap carnaval setting. 

Personally I like viewing the falls from the Canadian side better but hang around the area near the falls now.

To Tom: Yes we did, a very rainy weekend, though we never got wet :).  And it has indeed lasted and we still like camping,,, though it's a bit nicer in this intruder than it was in the tent

And to Wendycoke.  I thought so, And it appears so did my wife.  Thank you

Regretably the Canadian side of the Falls is a bit honky tonk, and I wish I knew of a good park in which to stay.?

In Toronto,? you best bet is Indan Line Campground.? ?Not for its amenities, but for it's very convenient location.? It's in the heart of Toronto, near the airport with easy access to the City..if there is ever easy acces to Toronto.

Be sure to stay off the toll bypass, where they really nail you, even thoughthey don't have toll booths and no prices posted.? The bill comes in the mail :'( :(

Here's the info for Indian Line:

Indian Line Campground

Hwy 427 and Finch

(905) 678-1233

north on 427, left on Finch past Longo Street (2 lights)? Park is on on right.? Watch carefully after crossing Longo, because the park is in a curve and it's difficult to make a U turn if you miss it

We stayed in Fort Erie on the Canadian side and drove up the river the falls. It was a very pleasant drive and very little traffic. We parked at the
falls parking lot and took the shuttle to the falls. It was very convenient and no hassell with the non existent parking at the falls. The view from the
Canadian side is much more impressive than the US side. Since we didn't go into the town itself we never noticed all the tourist traps. The gardens on the
are beautiful. They have a horticultural school there that plants and maintains them. We don't do much shopping in places like this as the prices are
way too high, but if shopping is your thing then you will encounter all the usual tourist "redistribution centers" when you go into town.

Dave

Smoky,

Please keep notes on the Niagara region and pass along your tips and observations here.  I plan a trip to Niagara Falls to visit family and would like to find a good place for the coach.

Back
Top Bottom