Niagara Falls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

04RedSilver

I am planning a family trip to Niagara Falls this Summer.
I am hoping that we can stay on the Canadian side. Kids would really love the Jellystone Park.

1. What are the requirements that I need to bring with me so my three kids, wife, myself, truck and camper will not have any problems returning to the states?

2. Does it really matter as which side we camp on? US or Canada?

3. Activities that are a most while we are there.

4. Are things (food ect...) cheaper in Canada?

I am just a little ignorant when it comes to traveling outside of the normal so,
Any information that I may need to have to enjoy a pleasant stay at Niagara would be extremly benefical.

Thanks

Hi,

My husband and I traveled through a great deal of Canada in 06 and started our trip at Niagara Falls.  You will get a lot of different opinions here; but we were really disappointed with Niagara.  Niagara Falls is very commericalized and was jammed packed with people.  We stayed on the Canadian side at a campground about 20 miles away.  I'm sure the kids would like Jellystone. 

Prices are higher in Canada than the US.  At the time we were there we were paying close to $4.00 American for diesel.  The campgrounds are about the same cost as the American prices.  Food was quite a bit higher; both in the grocery stores and dining.

We also had passports which made border crossing very simple.  If you are taking a pet besure you have proof of rabies and a current health certificate.  We crossed at the Buffalo Crossing which was really easy.  You might want to take the kid's birth certificates to prove they are yours.

Having fun.
Marsha~

We spent two months in Canada last summer (July & August 2006) and we were paying up to US$4.25/USgal for fuel.  If you're going over just for a short time, other prices shouldn't be of much concern.

It's been a long time since we were at Niagra Falls, so I can't comment about accomodations, but there are two activities the kids probably would enjoy, depending on their ages.  First is the walk behind the falls.  They provide wet weather gear and its neat to be in this cave looking out through the water and listening to the thunder of the falls.  Also, taking a ride on the Maid of the Mist sightseeing boat is fun because it takes you close in by the falls, something that one seldom gets to do.  They used to have a revolving restaurant overlooking the falls and I assume it's still there.

Going into Canada is relatively easy, although they may also be "tightening up".  If you have your passports handy that proves who you are.  Their questions always have to do with whether you're carrying any guns or pepper spray.  We always say no - we know your laws - and have never had a problem.  They also may ask about cigarettes and alcohol because they have limits on both.

As to reentering the U.S., it will be a lot easier if you have passports even though Customs is deferring non-aircraft requirements for them.  We started carrying them years ago on every trip to Canada and it helps a lot.  As you pull up to the Customs agent, just hand them out to him or her.  They'll ask you standard questions and probably wave you through if you answer succinctly and don't have anything suspicious.  They'll ask how much alcohol you're bringing in and whether you're carrying any prohibited products like meats or skins.  When we reentered last time, we fully expected more hassle and were surprised at how fast and easy it was - except setting the airbrake while under cover irritated an already-grouchy Customs agent and I wouldn't recommend doing that.  OOPS!  ;)

ArdraF

We stayed at a campground on the U.S. side, not very far from the falls, and drove across Rainbow Bridge for the day. As Marsha said, it's highly commercialized on the Canadian side.

We later crossed Rainbow Bridge with the coach and spent several weeks touring the maritimes.

Be sure to check out this Crossing the border article written by forum staffer Steve Pally who resides in Ottawa and crosses the border in both directions regularly.

I've been to Niagara Falls several times, never in the RV. Yes, it is commercialized. Yes, a lot of it is tacky to the extreme. But forget the manmade places and focus on what Mother Nature has done. There is something incredible about standing at the edge of the falls as the water crashes over the edge. The power behind that water is absolutely mesmerizing and amazing. I wouldn't spend a week there, but for sure we'll spend a day or two the next time we pass that way.

Well said Wendy.

A few of the photos we took at the falls can be viewed in the forum photo gallery here. Scroll down to see the photos of the falls.

We have 3 girls, 5, 7 and 12. No boys, I am sure they will be lurking around later  :mad:.

We were planning on staying at the jellystone park on the Canadian side.
We do not have passports, we have not been in a situation where we needed one. I really do not want to go purchase passports for the whole family just for this 3 day stay. I assume that drivers license and birth certificates will suffice. I hope.

I am also the type of person that hates  commercialized attractions, but like you said, and I agree, we are there to educate our kids and ourselves about Mother Nature.

We will have to check out this maid of the mist and the walk  under the falls , that sounds like a good time and great memories.

Thanks for all the input.

Stayed at the KOA about 6 miles from Niagara Falls on Grand Island.Don't usually like Koa's but this one was ok. Take a look at the New York State Park on the Lake. Beautiful park but a little bit of a drive. Depends on how long you plan to stay. It used to be that the Canadian side was more scenic, not so anymore. The park on the American side lets you get away from the masses and see the river before it goes over the Falls. Please don't miss riding the Maid of the Mist under the Falls, worth the trip alone. I would suggest a passport if this is not a one time occassion. The degree of difficulty in crossing the border depends upon which agent you get. Some are very nice, others have their badge on too tight and are rude and excessively strict. Was searched once because our truck had a hitch in the bed. Took about 30 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom