Nissan Cargo Van

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TLRam1

Has anyone towed with a Nissan Cargo Van NV 2500?

That appears to be the vehicle that will be chosen when it comes time to get a trailer in about 8 years.

I have looked at all options I could think of.

The item that makes this challenging is taking a motorcycle everywhere we go.

1. Toy haulers do not have floor plans conducive to the comfort I am looking for.

2. Considered Class A's and pulling a trailer, expensive and I like having a separate vehicle.

3. Pulling a trailer behind a TT makes this entire caravan too long, over 65 feet for Texas.

4. Pickups are expensive, used we are talking where the van new is around 38K.

5. Pickups are also higher and harder to load the bike in vs the van but the PU would be the preferred vehicle over a van.

6. The van would have locked storage for the bike, generators and other gear that the PU would lack.

7. The expense of 5th wheels and losing the back of the truck, sort of rules them out.

8. Currently looking in the size of 28-30 feet.

I have made spreadsheets on the tow vehicles for comparison purposes and generators. Info will change when I actually pull the trigger but I need to have a direction to work towards is the purpose for doing this now.

I have a list of Deal Breakers (Must Have) for the RV, Strong Favorites, items I Like, Safety Items to look for or add, this can change over time.

I have looked at every brand I could fine and probably 800 floor plans, many of them 2-3 times, built a packing list, kept a list of floor plans that interest me along with brands looked at.

Anyway I have been reading two forums for months gathering information and will post this on both forums so you may see it twice.

I looked at the Nissan cargo vans but found the Chevy/GMC to be a better choice. The Chevy/GMC has more and better options, more payload and towing capacity. The one I priced online had just about every option available with a price of around $35k.

The Nissan NV has or is soon supposed to have the 5.0L Cummins diesel.  I hear it is a pulling beast for its size.  I have a friend with a 2500 Chevrolet cargo van with the Duramax diesel and he loves it.  He pulls an enclosed cargo trailer with it and hauls lots of tools and equipment in it.

in eight years everything will be different. i would not plan to far in the future.

Oldgator73 said:
I missed the 8 years part. Never mind, you will be traveling in a self drive vehicle.

How will they teach them vehicles to navigate the Indiana potholes?  :eek:

I must say, thanks for this thread.  I've been stewing upgrading my YukonXL, and Suburban has the 2500 back this year, big$, but I will look into a 2500 van.  I had a custom Ford econoline Explorer years back, high top etc, loved it, drove nice.  Not really wanting a pickup.

Oldgator73 said:
I looked at the Nissan cargo vans but found the Chevy/GMC to be a better choice. The Chevy/GMC has more and better options, more payload and towing capacity. The one I priced online had just about every option available with a price of around $35k.

I did look at the Chevy/GMC and was semi settled on these for reasons you gave. things can still change. IIRC what changed my mind is the Nissan comes in a high cargo version and the motor is out front would allow for much more leg room. 

gravesdiesel said:
The Nissan NV has or is soon supposed to have the 5.0L Cummins diesel.  I hear it is a pulling beast for its size.  I have a friend with a 2500 Chevrolet cargo van with the Duramax diesel and he loves it.  He pulls an enclosed cargo trailer with it and hauls lots of tools and equipment in it.

The diesel version would be a plus for sure.

beaverfever said:
in eight years everything will be different. i would not plan to far in the future.

Oldgator73 said:
I missed the 8 years part. Never mind, you will be traveling in a self drive vehicle.

I don't know how to multi-quote so I copied each quote to a word doc. Sorry about that.

Yes 8 years is a long time and things change, being more informed and know all I can will assist in making changes as needed. Once I have all of this figured out I will have a good direction to go.

I applaud your long term planning.  I was on here 2 1/2 years before pulling the trigger.

At this point, I suggest learning about all things RV.  You already have learned much about the weight issues, but planning a vehicle purchase 8 years before the need is almost a waste of effort because so much will change.  That model may net even be made 8 years from now.

Making dangerous assumptions now, are you planning to retire and go full time in 8 years?  Do you have any recent RV experience?  My guess is yes and no.  I suggest getting a suitable used tow vehicle and camper - used in the next couple years.  Try out the lifestyle on weekends.  This will really allow you to tweak what you really want for a tow vehicle and a camper with real life experience.  It will make the retirement choices much better decisions.

spencerpj said:
I must say, thanks for this thread.  I've been stewing upgrading my YukonXL, and Suburban has the 2500 back this year, big$, but I will look into a 2500 van.  I had a custom Ford econoline Explorer years back, high top etc, loved it, drove nice.  Not really wanting a pickup.

Post up what you learn or observations, could help me also.

grashley said:
I applaud your long term planning.  I was on here 2 1/2 years before pulling the trigger.

At this point, I suggest learning about all things RV.  You already have learned much about the weight issues, but planning a vehicle purchase 8 years before the need is almost a waste of effort because so much will change.  That model may net even be made 8 years from now.

Making dangerous assumptions now, are you planning to retire and go full time in 8 years?  Do you have any recent RV experience?  My guess is yes and no.  I suggest getting a suitable used tow vehicle and camper - used in the next couple years.  Try out the lifestyle on weekends.  This will really allow you to tweak what you really want for a tow vehicle and a camper with real life experience.  It will make the retirement choices much better decisions.

The model well could not be available but what I am looking at is what I would want in a floor plan, at some point closer (2-3 years prior) maybe I find a floor plan I like, hang onto that and buy used. Mainly though what I like in a floor plan so I have direction.

No full timing, plans are to travel 1-2 months at a time so I can ride the roads on my motorcycle and use the RV as my home base. Come back home 1-2 months then take off again. I may stay in an area 1-2 weeks and move to a new area, repeat.

No RV experience personally though my siblings and parents have had RVs that I have camped in. This will probably be the first and last RV I will have. SS will not allow me to buy another so I will be saving for this and a tow vehicle prior to retiring. I will be maximizing my spending dollars the best I can to get what I am comfortable with. 

Headed to another RV show in September in Dallas. Since I have looked at so many floor plans and and have a better idea of what I want, looking at RV's will be different this time around. 

Thanks.  I understand better.

Is it just you traveling?
I assume a pickup with a cap does not give sufficient "head room" to carry the bike.

In doing your weight calculations, note that the van payload must be sufficient for all passengers, the bike and tie down gear, a WD hitch and the camper tongue wt.

Have you considered a Class C with either a reinforced hitch and ride up ramp on the back or a small open trailer (with a cover for the bike)?  One trailer I have seen here is a one  or two tire platform with two attachment points on the tow vehicle.  Very little weight on the TV and backs up like it is part of the TV.  I'll look for a reference if you are interested.

Well I hope to have someone traveling with me, planning on it, we will see.

For a truck to work I have to have an 8' bed, those are hard to find anymore. I would prefer a extended cab design over a crew cab as those are extremely long and all I have found are work trucks. I would be looking for a regular truck with amenities, backup cam, satellite radio, all power, cooled seats, yes I want a little luxury there.

Get into prices for trucks, unless you are getting a 150-200 thousand mile beast they are expensive compared to a New no mileage van. There is the stigma that goes with a van being your second vehicle but....the expense, lockable covered storage, room for other gear are pretty strong pluses for the van.

Maybe a bit of help here.
All the weights I do not have down yet, payload is 2760, towing capacity is 9400 pounds. The bike weights 600 pounds and generators guessing would be 100 pounds also. 

I have not ruled out anything at this point, I have looked at 5th wheels, Class C's and Class A's. There are pros and cons to each and I continue to go back to the TT style. If cost were not a factor I may be looking at this differently, maybe not. With my situation is how I am proceeding, still I am considering anything at this point.

The main factor is getting the floor plan and room I like within my budget that include my deal breakers, that limits it right there. I have seen threads regarding the trailer type platforms, interesting for sure, the down side is having to deal with a trailer once at the camp site. 

I will be attending the Dallas RV show coming up in Sept. 

Hate to break your bubble, but you can't tow a FW with a van!  8)

You are very wise to keep all options open at this point.  The RV show should help!
You are very correct the FLOOR PLAN is the most critical factor!

That 2700# payload (I assume for the van) is pretty impressive!

Long bed, extended cab, well equipped pickups ARE available used.  I am driving one, but it is NOT for sale.  Yes, they are a bit harder to find, but you only need one!

Not sure what toy haulers your looking at there are many levels of luxury toy  haulers and many cost levels, with variable garage sizes from 10 - 24 ft. With 4 tvs corian counters vaccum systems king size beds led lights hardwood floors etc they can be really nice

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weat1220
Back
Top Bottom