No 120V power, what have I done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PembyRV'er

Hello, I am a relatively new trailer owner and my 120 volt is not working. I carelessly ran a dehumidifier plugged into my 2016 Wildwood / Forest River trailer while attached to an external power source. After several days to a week of running the dehumidifier the 120v system completely stopped operating. None of the breakers were tripped or fuses blown in the panel. The GFCI protected plug doesn't test or reset, so that didn't fix it. Everything that should work when running off the 12v battery works fine. Any thoughts and ideas of where i should be looking or what i might do to figure out where the issue is so I can repair it. Tanks in advance for your ideas, expertise, experience and time.

Best reagards, happy camping
Darren

If you’ve got one of those little inductive testers you might plug in to shore power and work your way back from the breakers to see where it’s dropping. I assume you’ve tested the outlet that you were plugging into to make sure it didn’t trip its breaker.

If you’ve got one of those little inductive testers you might plug in to shore power and work your way back from the breakers to see where it’s dropping. I assume you’ve tested the outlet that you were plugging into to make sure it didn’t trip its breaker.
Thanks Krazeehorse33, I did check the breaker for the outlet and its fine. i figure checking from the power cord back for continuity makes sense. Always hoping for something easy, but never usually is

The GFCI protected plug doesn't test or reset,
Did you check EVERY GFI breaker in the rig, including the ones NOT being used?

Also try resetting the CBs. Some don't look all the tripped when they do.

Your no 120 VAC problem has to be something very simple, but perhaps not all that obvious.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Thanks Don, I only know of the one GFCI breaker on the washroom outlet. There may very likely some hidden ones that I'm not aware of, or haven't found yet. I've reset the breakers several times, still no change. I'm going to have to do a deeper look in all the nooks and crannies of the trailer. Could it be the power cord for the trailer? I'll be testing that next.

Regards Darren - Pemberton BC

Could it be the power cord for the trailer?
Sure, but I would think unlikely unless the plug wires are screwed in or something like that, which I have seen cause problems.

I assume you probably found the problem by now anyway, so please let us know what you found.

-Don- Cisco Grove, CA

Thanks Don, I only know of the one GFCI breaker on the washroom outlet. There may very likely some hidden ones that I'm not aware of, or haven't found yet. I've reset the breakers several times, still no change. I'm going to have to do a deeper look in all the nooks and crannies of the trailer. Could it be the power cord for the trailer? I'll be testing that next.

Regards Darren - Pemberton BC
Is it possible there is a GFCI on the outside of the trailer someplace? My last trailer had one on the outside as well as in the bathroom.

Hello, I am a relatively new trailer owner and my 120 volt is not working. I carelessly ran a dehumidifier plugged into my 2016 Wildwood / Forest River trailer while attached to an external power source. After several days to a week of running the dehumidifier the 120v system completely stopped operating. None of the breakers were tripped or fuses blown in the panel. The GFCI protected plug doesn't test or reset, so that didn't fix it. Everything that should work when running off the 12v battery works fine. Any thoughts and ideas of where i should be looking or what i might do to figure out where the issue is so I can repair it. Tanks in advance for your ideas, expertise, experience and time.

Best reagards, happy camping
Darren

Ok usually the power system lines up someting like this
Circuit breaker----GFCI outlet (1)---GFCI protected Outlet------GFCI Protected outlet ----- (perhaps more)

(1) Usually the GFCI itself is in the bathroom or restroom.
Outlets 2 and 3 are Kitchen and Patio... ONLY the GFCI itself has the buttons. the others are protected by it.
GFCI will not reset: Two or or 2.x common issues
1: Circuit breaker tripped.. they will not reset if the circuit breaker is tripped
NOTE this includes at least two circuit breakers in the park side of your power cord and others.
(Do other 120 volt things work?)

2: The problem that tripped it still exists.
UNPLUG EVERYTHING that is plugged into a GFCI or GFCI protected outlet.. Still "AutoTrips" (Trips as fast as you can reset it).
Check the patio outlet.. The caulking cracks, water enters.. GROUND FAULTs happen.
Next is a wire fault. If you use big ticket items (Some kitchen appliances can draw over 10 amps) that plug in the blasted "unibox" outlets in an RV (That would be the GFCI-Protected ones not the GFCI itself) can melt. Internally that is.

Rodents like the taste of Insulation it seems as well.

And finally.. yes they can go bad.

Pemby,
When you do find it, please come and tell us. You can even tell us why you didn't find it right away so we can add that to the knowledge base here.
Matt

Our new camper has a "main" ground fault outlet. During the walk thru they said to reset that one if the ground fault is tripped.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom