no brake lights on tow plug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T

twcan

I have a 2003 Monaco La Palma on a W22 workhorse chassis with a  8.1 motor.  I recently installed a trailer brake controller, all was good for about an hour.  I lost the brake lights to the trailer.  All the lights work on the coach, I have left and right turn signals, taillights, and trailer brakes on the 7 pin connector.  I have checked all fuses, relays,brake light switch on the brake pedal,wires and as far as I can tell there is no converter in the wiring that I can find.  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem. 

You most probably have blown a fuse. Sometimes they are located in the chassis fuse box if the trailer wiring was placed by the chassis manufacturer otherwise, you may have a search on your hands. Could also be a relay to place 12V on that wiring and probably activated by the controller you installed.

You are aware, I presume, that the stop & turn pins on the 7-pin are also the brake lights? There is no brake light pin on the standard 7-pin layout.

Does the La Palma have separate stop lights or the more common combined stop/turn  signals?  If it has separate brake lights, there would have to be a converter somewhere to serve the tow connector and trailer.

Since you say it worked for an hour, it seems likely a fuse blew.  As I recall on the 2002 Workhorse chassis we owned many years ago, there was a chassis fuse box under the dash near the steering clump. I would expect to find brake light fuse in there. Is that where you checked for blown fuses?

I have checked every thing I could find  traced the wires form the plug to the firewall there is no converter could the converter be built into the turn signal switch itself

twcan said:
I have checked every thing I could find  traced the wires form the plug to the firewall there is no converter could the converter be built into the turn signal switch itself

You need to answer Gary's question. It's very important. He asked:

Does the La Palma have separate stop lights or the more common combined stop/turn  signals?

sorry yes the la palma has separate stop lights on the coach and combined stop lights on the trailer plug

I realize this is a truck vs motorhome, but I recently lost the right turn/brake at the factory trailer plug - lights were fine on the truck. I assumed because the truck lights worked fine it couldn't be a fuse. I spent about 3 hours chasing wires trying to track down the converter which has to be hiding somewhere - never found it. Going to be renting a Uhaul trailer shortly so had them take a look. Embarrassingly they found a bad fuse in 5 min  ::) :-[  but I was happy to have it fixed

The RV has both STOP lights and Turn signals and they are NOT the same lamps??? My Workhorse they are combined and I think that is a Workhorse decision 

Stop lights are.. if I recall correctly fused by a fuse on the main chassis block under the hood (Front dead center. plain black box label is on the inside cover. press release latches on each side and pull toward you)

The TURN signals are on the (in)Convience panels down by the parking break pedal where you need to be a controtionist. Fuse diagram is in your owner's bag. or I can look it up for you.

Tail/marker light.. That's a fun one at least 4 seperate fuses. two in the chassis main to on the (in)convience panel.

I have checked all fuses in every one of the fuse blocks  and have not found any to be bad I have traced the wire harness from the trailer plug the the firewall for an converter box and cant fine one  not sure that workhorse used one on this chassis

twcan said:
I have checked all fuses in every one of the fuse blocks  and have not found any to be bad I have traced the wire harness from the trailer plug the the firewall for an converter box and cant fine one  not sure that workhorse used one on this chassis

We had a turn signal that didn't work on our previous motorhome.  Three different dealers worked on it and could never find it.  Finally the guy who does our hitch work found a broken wire.  Don't know exactly where but suspect between the light and under the dash. 

thanks for  the good input  after searching under the dash  I found a plug end which I thought was used for diagnostic purposes  the plug wires have the same number and colors as the wires coming out of the turn signal stwich  plugged into it is a small circuit board  could this be the turn signal converter and where can I buy one of these.   

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom