No elec to tv, microwave, refrigerator or ac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmrayaustin

Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2015
Posts
14
All was working fine.(2011 Winnebago Vista motorhome-30 amp)Did not have anything running except refrig(always on elec). Left for about 15 min to get propane tank filled. (use extend-a-stay for motorhome)Came inside, no appliances are getting power(refrig, microwave, tv, ac/heat) galley gfci won?t reset. Unplugged everything, unplugged shore, turned off all breakers. The reset shore power, then breakers. Volt meter- checks good power at breakers but not at gfci. Converter-Maybe? My batteries show full at control panel. My generator started right up, so I know my house batteries are charging. My inverter shows 12.5 v battery power available...and if I turn it on I get tv and some outlets on that circuit. All of my overhead lights come on. I was hearing a rather annoying ?short, quick-1 second? vibrating sound coming from power center/panel where breakers and converter are located for the last several weeks. Checked behind converter and breaker panel. No signs of ?intruders?. I don?t recall hearing the converter fan come on like I used to, (but I also don?t hear the clock ticking anymore either.) maybe the fan quit-and it overheated, and the converter just quit? What else should I test to confirm it is bad converter?


edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved
 

DearMissMermaid

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 26, 2009
Posts
2,572
Location
on the move, USA
I am sure the pros will be along shortly with answers.

I had a similar problem years ago.

Turns out the wires connecting to one of the breakers on the converter panel was loose. Probably from vibrations.

Once the wires were tightened up, everything miraculously came back to life.

Vibrations has been the culprit of many problems in 8 years of traveling.

All I can say is trace down wires and yank or wiggle to make sure they are solidly attached. It's a start... until the pros show up here with technical info.

Good luck!

 

John Canfield

Site Team
Joined
Aug 8, 2006
Posts
13,788
Location
Texas Hill Country
Is your "converter" also an inverter? Can you operate some 120V loads running on batteries? If you do have an inverter/charger/converter some of the 120V circuits will go through an inverter sub panel in which case there could be an inverter/charger/converter problem.

What happens when you run on generator? Same symptoms? The key question here is do you have an inverter sub panel near your main AC load center (breaker box.)
 

cmrayaustin

Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2015
Posts
14
I have a separate 1100 watt inverter that provides power to outlets only...no major appliances. It is good; but I have it turned off, because it is using up my house batteries. Same issue when running the generator..no power to refrig, microwave, electric ac/heater and tv and gfci outlet in galley. New symptom...I measured power to the breakers earlier and got 118-120; and without changing anything, I measured again..no power to breakers. I am going to disconnect shore and cut off house batteries and check for loose wiring. Thanks for your help. Any other thoughts or suggestions while I am chasing wires will be greatly appreciated.

I removed converter, checked wiring to breakers, everything is tight. I am thinking, if I have no power to any of the breakers, then it may not be the converter. I don’t know what component is between the shore or generator power and the breaker panel. Time to do some googling
 

cmrayaustin

Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2015
Posts
14
I am not sure what to check next. If I am not receiving power to cb panel or gfci outlet, then maybe it is my power cord?  There isn?t any other component running between shore power(or generator) to circuit breakers. What am I overlooking?
 

cmrayaustin

Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2015
Posts
14
OMG...FOUND IT.  WIRES BURNED AND DISCONNECTED AT MH OUTSIDE IN BOX WHERE GENERATOR CAN PLUG IN....WILL POST PICS. THANK GOD, NOTHING CAUGHT FIRE. THANKS EVERYONE. THE REASON THIS PROBABLY HAPPENED; MAYBE moisture, vibration caused loosening, then arcing,  then fire. Easy fix.
 

cmrayaustin

Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2015
Posts
14
Thank you all for your inputs. Helped me think harder about what direction I should look, literally. Have a great day all.
 
Top Bottom