No front doors on gas rigs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neddy Boy

Hi all,

I have a standing question from my wife that I havent even been able to come up with a decent reason or answer to make me look like I know what I am talking about.  Why is it there are no gas rigs with the entry door in the front.  When we shopped for an RV we only saw the diesels with the front door.  She likes the layout of the front door but there werent any new or used gas rigs with front doors.  Anyone have a logical answer?

Thanks

Probably because the dog house protrudes so far into the front area that a front entrance isn't practical.  That said, we have a diesel with a side entrance and prefer it to a front entrance.  When you enter our house, you don't have to walk through the entire living area to get to the galley or head and don't trip over people sitting in the front seats.

Neddy Boy said:
I have a standing question from my wife that I havent even been able to come up with a decent reason or answer to make me look like I know what I am talking about.? Why is it there are no gas rigs with the entry door in the front.? When we shopped for an RV we only saw the diesels with the front door.? She likes the layout of the front door but there werent any new or used gas rigs with front doors.? Anyone have a logical answer?

Can a Non-Ned respond?

Well, I have learned from this short thread that the housing over my gas engine is called a dog house. I had not heard that before. ???  Anyway, I agree with Ned in that I enjoy being able to turn my co pilot and drivers seats to make a pleasant seating area in the front of my coach and picture window. No one is bothered when a new person enters my coach.

However, the advantage of the front door is that it is a carry over from city buses in that when you enter, you pay the driver. So if you charge passengers, it's great and more convenient than a side door. ;)

If one with a front door may comment, I prefer the mid door arrangement.  With the front door there is the screen in the way of a passengers view. It is awkward to enter if people are sitting in the drivers or passengers seats etc.

If we were to get another MH, it would have a mid door and possibly a drivers door too.  I haven't made up my mind on that yet.  G

ON gassers -  It would be a great lost of space on a class A unit to have a door there.  The seat would have to be pushed back better than 2 feet , consequently  everything else needs to be pushed back, therefore the loss of the little table and perhaps a chair and as Bob mentioned now you don't have to interfere with the others upon entering.  Besides who wants to trip over the dog house.  It's bad enough when you enter from the drivers door to enter the coach. I've only done that about 3 times in all the years of RVing(Since the 60's) All 3 X's cause the door was locked and I couldn't get in any other way.

Bob,

Since you're a cat person, you probably aren't familiar with the term "dog house" :)  We don't take passengers so don't need to charge them.  IF we would ever get another motor home, it would preferably have a side entrance.  Some of the Safari models had a rear entrance where you can enter the vehicle in the rear of the galley.  That's even more convenient, IMO.  The front entrance is from the same marketing people that designed the one piece, bay window style, windshield.  Seemed like a good idea at the time :)

Having had both, I much prefer the front door. The mid door takes something away from the floorplan. The worst ones I've seen have a step-down at the mid door, which is aligned with a side aisle. Some unsuspecting soul walking from the the bathroom or the bedroom to the living room falls down the hole! What a great design  ;D

Our door step down is not close to the center aisle, so no chance of stepping in it by mistake.  We gladly give up a small amount of floor space for the convenience of the side door.  Why people want a bus instead of a motor home is a mystery to me :)  Would you design a house where everyone enters right through a chair?  Marketing over convenience again.

Ned said:
Would you design a house where everyone enters right through a chair?

I sure wouldn't design one with the front door in the middle of the house. Our current house was designed that way - really dumb idea - and we promptly changed it after we bought it. We decided we didn't want to have to relocate the door in a coach, so we bought one with the door already up front.

Having had two motorhomes with the mid entry door and the present one has a front door we much prefer the front door.  American Coach offered mid entry doors again as an options for a short while but it still was not popular so that option is no longer available from what I understand.  Front door mid entry or back door it is still a matter personal preference.  You make your choices for what is best for you.  For us the front door is best for us.

It would be a bit difficult to have a front entry in a motorhome with a front engine since the engine cover or dog house would tend to be in the way.

Thanks for the info.  Now when I think about it and look at my coach I see that there is that huge bump in the floor between the front seats.  Cant see hopping over that every time we go in and out.  I guess that engine sets right in there. 
Thanks
Neddy

Back
Top Bottom