No Generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fweezal

We're about to downsize to (possibly) a 2009 Phoenix Cruiser 2551 (26 footer). It says it is "Generator prepped" which I assume means that it has no generator BUT it does have a 2000W inverter. If we don't anticipate boondocking/Wallydocking, how necessary is a generator? Please keep responses simple and to the point. Thanks.

1blue78

If you don't plan on boondocking and will be at a campground with power, you do not need a gen unless you want to have a backup in case of power failure at the campground.

Matt_C

The requirement for a generator is entirely your decision. If you only park at FHU places, it is a waste of money and an extra maintenance item. It come around to: Are you going to want to run heavy AC loads for more the the few minutes that your batteries can power them. As I don't even know what your unit is, I can't intelligently comment with any more detail.
Matt

Mark_K5LXP

Might not need a generator but if you run a 2kW inverter much you'll find out in a hurry how much battery capacity you have. Nothing says you would have to install a permanent generator either, depending on what you might need plugging the pigtail into a basic hand carry inverter genset might fill the bill.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Fweezal

The requirement for a generator is entirely your decision. If you only park at FHU places, it is a waste of money and an extra maintenance item. It come around to: Are you going to want to run heavy AC loads for more the the few minutes that your batteries can power them. As I don't even know what your unit is, I can't intelligently comment with any more detail.
Matt

Larry N.

If you want to run an air conditioner (house, not dash a/c) when not hooked to shore power you'll need a generator, and if you want to recharge your house batteries when not hooked to shore power you'll need a generator. Finally, as mentioned above, if you need something much beyond lighting, furnace, TV, to any extent when unhooked you'll need a generator.

So if you don't want to run the house air conditioner when on the road and don't expect the other uses above, you can do without one. And, as Mark mentions above, one or two portable generators (Honda, Champion, etc. depending on your power needs) can be picked up later, though they lack some of the convenience of one permanently mounted in your rig.

Isaac-1

Generator use is a very personal matter, when I bought my current coach just over 5 years ago it was nearly 15 years old and the generator had less than 500 hours on it, even with only occasional off grid camping I am now about to hit 1,200 hours on it.

Fweezal

Generator use is a very personal matter, when I bought my current coach just over 5 years ago it was nearly 15 years old and the generator had less than 500 hours on it, even with only occasional off grid camping I am now about to hit 1,200 hours on it.
And, that's EXACTLY why I asked! Seems like each and every rig I looked at while shopping, the usage seemed really low when compared to mileage or age of the rig.

Isaac-1

Climate where you camp is also a big issue here on generator use, in the south air conditioning is life support 6-8 months out of the year, though when dry camping in cooler climates we may only run the generator for an hour or less per day, only when my wife needs to cook in the convection/microwave or air fryer (we do have 400 watts worth of solar panels, and I just upgraded to LiFePo4 Lithium batteries, which have enough capacity to run the microwave for over 2.5 hours, so even that may be going down)

Kirk

We had an onboard generator in both of our class A RVs and while we really enjoyed having it, we didn't have a lot of hours on it when we sold it after 14 years. If memory serves, it had between 600 and 700 hours when sold. We mostly used it when traveling in very hot weather as the dash air is not enough to cool a large RV, and other times mostly for simple convenience. Before we retired we used to put dinner on to cook in a crockpot sitting in the sink and use the generator to power it on Fridays so that we had dinner ready when we got to our weekend spot. As I remember we did keep it running for as much as 3 or 4 days when dry camped for a square dance festival and 1 or 2 times visiting relatives. It was not vital but it did allow us to do some things which we could not otherwise have done. It was not vital, but we pay to have many things which are not vital because we enjoy having them. The generator was the same, other than in hot weather travel.

Alontheway

I only carry one when I need to run the air cond when I will not have hookups. I literally need it for nothing else. Otherwise it stays home.
I have solar to charge batteries, the truck will charge batteries while driving too.

John From Detroit

I have,on several occasions. been very glad of the Generator in my RV.

Normally it just got it's monthly run

But.. HOT time in the Summer. I'd use it changing campgrounds to run roof air

Digger O'Dell with his backhoe cut the primary line to the Campground.. LIGHTS OUT
Feeder wire from primary panel to sub panel in park burned LIGHTS OUT
Car hit "Telephone' pole near park.. LIGHTS OUT.
Quartzite (no lights to go out)
Himmicane Matthew came calling LIGHTS OUT
Another car v/s power pole

And more

Ex-Calif

Interestingly we all googled the make model and we all apparently hit the one and only one for sale - LOL...

I wonder what the lack of inventory for sale means - not popular or so popular people don't sell them...

Having the generator is a huge convenience when you need it. I use mine mostly while driving to cool the huge RV space while driving and I am a guy who drives like crazy to get to my destination which means en-route I spend a lot of time at rest stops, wally's etc.

I'll run the generator to cook and to knock the interior heat down before sleeping. We generally don't stop more than 5-6 hours when doing this. If I end up parked next to the semi's with their engines running I have left the genny on longer otherwise I try to cut it off by 10-11pm.

Larry N.

I wonder what the lack of inventory for sale means - not popular or so popular people don't sell them...
The latter, I think. Phoenix Cruiser has a decent reputation, and that's where I'd look if I wanted something that small. They've been in the back of my mind for some time, in case I downsize that far some day. Expensive, though, but I love the equippage too.

CharlesinGA

Phoenix Cruiser has a very good reputation and is well built. A fellow named Ron Dittmer (his photo album here), has as much knowledge of the PC models as anyone around, Ron is usually found here and is quite open with information on the PC and mods. I'm trying to be discrete as he is on another forum, but if the price is right and the unit is in good condition, I'd jump on it. I'm pretty sure that there is a PC owners forum somewhere if you need in depth information.

These units don't come on the market much, usually thru an estate or someone finally trading up to a newer model.

Charles

Top Bottom