No longer a Forest River owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you missed the main point here - Bill never actually got a loan. He thought he had an approved loan, but it was a fiction. No loan, so nothing to register. Whether inadvertently or intentionally, the dealership let him drive away without a verified loan. That was made possible by the existence of a temporary state tag, an accommodation intended to facilitate legitimate business on nights & weekends or when there are unavoidable delays in paper transfers. Nothing wrong with that unless abused, but it was in this case. With no loan, the dealership never applied for a title in Bill's name, so the New Mexico DMV never got involved. The process should have come to a screeching halt when the loan was rejected, or at worst when the temporary tag expired (30 days after issuance in New Mexico). Not clear why that didn't happen until 6 weeks later. Malfeasance or incompetence?

I think you will find that a similar thing conceivably could have happened in Alberta if the dealer had arranged for a temporary "in-transit" permit until the final paperwork was completed. As I understand it, an Alberta in-transit permit can be issued for a test or demonstration period up to 7 days (most US states allow up to 30 days on that sort of permit). That's probably not "business as usual" in Alberta, though. Maybe that's a good thing!
Unless you have a dealer tag you have to have proof of insurance to get a temporary tag and you cant insurance unless you have a bill of sale, and you cant get a bill of sale unless you register the lean

Had insurance with State Farm. Just called in the VIN and added like I always do with a new vehicle. Have the drive out tag in my possession at this time, would you like for me to get you a pic? How about this? If you blow it up, you might be able to see the tag, but if arguing about it makes you feel superior so be it.

Attachments

• 20210413_121259.jpg
    20210413_121259.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 12
Relax i dont doubt you, im just saying the system here has checks and balances. So your situation however wierd wouldnt happen here. Hope it gets resolved. But airing out a grievence on a forum like this is tantamount to asking for opinions and inputs, that was mine. Cheers dont feel so inferior. Thats not my intent.

Bill...hope it works out. I had a similar thing happen where as a RV dealership sold a camper I had paperwork on as a done deal from under me. My guess they got a better offer after they penned the contract with me. I felt the same as you. Was like pulling teeth to get my down payment back. Decided it was just easier to walk away than to try and fight it. Ended up with a far superior deal anyway. As you, took my frustration to social media, BBB, and AG. Nothing ever came of it but making others aware of these crooks.

A paper tag from a licensed dealer is standard operating procedure if you don't have a tagged camper to trade in. I have never known any dealers to have hard plates for new ones. And the dealers for autos and campers that I have dealt with are required to call the insurance company themselves to either transfer the insurance or to get a new policy binder before putting any paper tag on the vehicle or camper. On the new campers they will need to obtain the MSO, if its being held by someone off premises before going to any DMV.

This is why you sign a power of attorney so that the dealer can handle this on your behalf. My last new camper took about two and a half months to get the title even though I transferred a hard tag. RV dealers in particular are not as expedient as new automobile dealers. I still had the registration and the bill of sale for the new to me camper. But it does not take much for any car dealer or rv dealer to loose their licenses if they tag stuff without the proper insurance and paperwork and you have an accident .

This is supposed to be balloon payments at the end of the loan so that the customer can have the lowest payment possible.

Last edited:
Update on the XLR Nitro 321. After the owner of the business got involved (he said he was out of town when this happened) I now have the unit back for about 3,000 less than I had originally contracted for. Payment is the same as the original contract. The owner said that the unit never should have been delivered under the conditions that it was.

Now we just have to get it outfitted like we want. Bedroom TV's, Satellite Dish, DVD player and all the other stuff to make it more livable. Wife is getting all new linens, cookware, etc. instead of using the stuff from the old 5th wheel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom