No overnight parking at rest area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohio Turnpike has RV camping areas in every other service plaza. Cost is $20 per night for a basic spot on pavement with an electric hookup. Also each has a water fill and dump station. It is also really convenient to go inside for fast food, as well. No need to get off turnpike to find a place to spend the night. These places are apart from the truck or car parking. No tents or anything not self-contained, but very handy. Put bill into machine--no credit cards accepted and no change given.

Ohio Turnpike has RV camping areas in every other service plaza. Cost is $20 per night for a basic spot on pavement with an electric hookup. Also each has a water fill and dump station.
That really sounds nice!

But I wonder how that would work out here in FL. FL has many rest stops, but not nearly enough! They are mostly all packed near full, if not totally full.

-Don- Everglades Nat'l Park, FL

They are often full except in very cold winter in Ohio. First-come, first-served, but I have never had a problem if I stop before 6 pm. Also, can't handle the biggest of rigs. Very handy for a quick stop when you want to break up a drive. Rule is you cannot stay on turnpike for more than 24 hours or they fine you, so you cannot stay for more than one night.

They want you to spend a night, not set up for camping. The rule applies to cars and truckers, as well.
I understand that part. Does the time include the time on the road? I assume it does. But that would be a lot of driving and most likely into the next state anyway.

Such a great idea to not have to leave the freeway by more than a few feet to get gas /diesel and other stuff. And to take a break!

IMO, there are many other places that should be done in other states.

Yes, but the fuel prices are a rip off. A couple of miles off the highway in most Places is cheaper by 20 cents or more Per gallon. Worth a couple of mile drive to me.

Yes, but the fuel prices are a rip off. A couple of miles off the highway in most Places is cheaper by 20 cents or more Per gallon. Worth a couple of mile drive to me.
Not to me. I like the convenience. Besides, compared to gas prices in CA and NV, it's all very cheap out here.

My new RV only has an 80 gallon fuel tank. So a full tank at this price will be $607.20.

But in Reno at this place, only will be $415.20. That's a mile from my Reno house.

I get around 8.5 MPG in this motorhome.

Interesting rule. I wonder why they have such a rule.

Believe it or not, in the early days, there was access to some pretty good fishing spots from the Turnpike that were nearly impossible to drive to without it. People would park along the roadside and hike to the fishing.

Fort Pickens Campground is part of Gulf Islands National Seashore on your way east. It is a bit out of the way on a long peninsula, but this is a very pretty and unpopulated place. Very out of the way and half price for seniors.
Ft Pickens stays booked up this time of the year. We were going down to the coast the first several days of November and often go to Pickens, but it was full, Big Lagoon SP was full and I finally told my buddy that we just needed to go to Dauphin Island as their dog had not seen the beach before and the island is dog friendly, so we did.

Charles

Attachments

• IMG_20211103_115744993.jpg
    IMG_20211103_115744993.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211103_175612135.jpg
    IMG_20211103_175612135.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211105_174206072.jpg
    IMG_20211105_174206072.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 3
The tax payers are not paying to maintain the highway?
The highway was built with toll money, as it is not an interstate highway, and once the toll money was collected enough to cover the expense of building it the State (or city) was to remove the toll booths, that is what we voted on. Oece it was paid for they tried to continue to collect tolls illegally, govt people love to break the law and steal money as we all know by now, but a citizen challenged this in court and won. The toll booths were removed and the wireless RFID tag readers taken down. Yes, the road maintenance is paid for through gas tax as it is in all 50 States.
All taxes must be apportioned. Learn that if you learn nothing else in this thread. Except for your illegal personal income taxes, all taxes levied are apportioned.
School taxes are from property owners.
Road taxes through gas sales.
Govts are run through sales taxes.

What was that extra tax revenue paying for?

-Don- Everglades, FL
Lavish vacations probably. who knows? Once politicians get money they have a tendancy to reallocate where it is spent. They tend to spend it where they can get the biggest personal kick-back. How is Nancy Peloci the richest person in congress? How is she a billionaire who has a $223,500 salary? The money on the bus goes round n round...

The toll was years ago, so I do not remember details. We foolishly vote for temporary 6-month 1 percent sales taxes for schools or some pitiful cause and 6 months later the politicians decide to extend that 6 month temporary tax forever. It has happened multiple times here. It is the Bonhoeffer people who vote for such things. It is they who think politicians all are wanting to improve the life of citizens only. You can research GA 400 Toll if you want, IDT the forum is the best place to discuss it.

Lavish vacations probably. who knows? Once politicians get money they have a tendancy to reallocate where it is spent. They tend to spend it where they can get the biggest personal kick-back. How is Nancy Peloci the richest person in congress? How is she a billionaire who has a $223,500 salary? The money on the bus goes round n round...
OK, let's not let facts get in the way of good conspiracy theory:

"While her salary is $223,500 annually, most of her wealth stems from her husband’s business and their investments."

The Oklahoma toll roads are all on a common pool of money. The rationale for keeping tolls on roads that were built 40+ years ago is that it keeps the interest rate and toll payments on newer roads less. Once a road is toll, I don’t think it will ever be anything else in OK. And note some of the turnpikes are interstate highways like I-44.

How is Nancy Peloci the richest person in congress? How is she a billionaire who has a $223,500 salary?
I don’t know where you get billionaire from. Her net worth is around $120m. A sure way to get a topic shut down is to insert politics into it. You do know you don’t have to reply on topics especially if you have nothing cogent to add.

This is the great problem with toll roads, they were all sold to the public with the notion being that once the road is paid for, it will stop being a toll road, the problem is creative accounting makes sure that will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom