No Power AT ALL! NONE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andrewd523

This is my first post and I have done a lot of reading on here before I asked this question.  I have a 2003 Coachmen Spirit of America 298FK.  Here is a picture:  http://www.delmarvarvcenter.com/2003-coachmen-spirit-of-america-298fk-used-travel-trailer-de-i602638

We have the TT parked at a campsite with no power, so we have a generator.  We bought the TT with a small leak so we thought we repaired it adequately... We didn't.  The power worked fine when we bought it then we ran into a couple problems.  First:  1/2 of the outlets stopped working b/c the leak ran down a wall that had a GFI on it.  It will not reset for the life of me, so I am assuming it needs to be replaced.  So we just used 1/2 of the outlets, no big deal.  Then one night when we got to the camper we reversed the 12V battery connectors and heard a clicking sound in the RV for about 2 hours...  The lights still worked so we just figured everything was fine...  After two hours we found out the battery terminals were reversed... OOPS!  So we switched the terminals and just ran the generator and everything was fine, EXCEPT The batteries weren't charging anymore so I plugged a battery tender into the 120V system and charged the batteries with that :)

I just went up to the TT 2 weeks ago after about 2 months and it was leaking again... This time pretty bad!  And now nothing is working.  I didn't have a VOM with me but nothing was working... I am assuming the batteries were completely dead since we accidentally left them plugged in...  And the wall was leaking some more where the GFI outlet is...

What could be going on that all of a sudden the generator will not power anything?  No lights, no control panel, no heat... NOTHING

We were relying on that and now nothing is working...

And yes I checked all of the fuses and breakers... The only control panel I found is under the couch...  Are there any others?

Any help would be great.  We are going up in a couple weeks with a new GFI unit, fuses and a VOM.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!!  Looking forward to many more posts as we learn more and more about this great hobby!

-Andrew

You blew the converter out is my number one guess.  Sunda like you need to get this trailer home where you can effect proper repairs for the leaks and then attack the power problem.

We are building a roof over it in a couple weeks...  That will fix the problem!!

Where can I find a converter online?  Any good sites?

Thanks.

Now you will have a big box with a leak that has mould inside the walls?  Not a real smart idea if you care about your health.  You need to determine what converter you have and buy a replacement one online prices are usually a good source.  But first you need to be sure you have not blown fuses, or any other parts during your boo boo.  Then get your VOM up ere and start checking things out.

First, fix the leak(s).

The converter/charger probably has a pair of fuses that will blow if the battery cables reversed. Replace those so that you have 12v power and battery charging once again. 

A GFCI won't reset if it receives no power. Or it could be defective.

With water leaking into the walls, I would suspect that you have electric current finding a path through moisture to ground.  It only takes a few milliamps (thousandths of an amp) to trip a GFI.  Since most RVs use GFIs to protect multiple outlets, the problem may be right at the GFI or at any outlet being protected by the GFI.  I also have to agree that moisture inside the walls will create much larger problems later, such as the mold and mildew mentioned earlier.  Remediation of those problems can be very difficult and/or expensive.

First of all, you need to get that leak fixed properly with the correct materials!  Throwing a roof over the TT may not totally take care of the problem.  The leak still exists.  You need a definite, permanent block on the TT to prevent water/moisture from getting in.  Whether the water comes from Mother Nature, a roof top AC unit, leaky windows, whatever. 

Then attack the drying out of the wood, insulation, or whatever is wet from the leak.  Whatever you have to do to dry out completely, or replace, what is still wet or retained moisture to prevent mold/mildew.  For the sake of health for you and your family.

Even with a brand new GFCI, if there is enough moisture in the wall near the outlet, it won't be long before the new one trips.  Along with the reverse polarity of the battery, I am also thinking the fuses on the converter are either blown, or the converter is toast.  The loss of all 120vac is still a mystery to me.  Maybe a short circuit of some kind has developed due to the moisture in the wall that keeps tripping the circuit breaker on the genny?  The electrial service with breakers for the 120vac you haven't found the location of yet in your TT?  Maybe the main breaker has tripped?

All in all, it sounds like you have multiple problems.  Health, structural integrity, and electrical.  Don't mess around too much with this scenario!

You may not need a new converter, you have to find the initial source of the problem, in this case moisture, and stop it.  Just throwing money at it in the form of a new converter will seldom work.
After correcting the initial problem,  check out the converter properly, especially in view of the fact you connected the battery backwards at one point. Many have a fused output to protect it should that occur. Is there any name/ model number designation on  the (possibly combined) fuse/circuit panel you found???

As far as 12V power and the converter is concerned, in travel trailers with a few 120V outlets the converter could easily be connected to one of the daisy-chained outputs of the GFCI. (Each GFCI can power up to to 6 other ordinary outlets or circuits). With a Failed GFCI  that could mean the converter is not getting power and thus not supplying 12V or charging the battery, apart from the fused output should there be one.....

The GFCI will not reset if :  1: it has no power to it (ie blown c/b) or 2: there is still moisture in it or will pop again if there is moisture along any of its outputs.) 3: It is defective.

As others have said, job 1 is sealing the leak, and then drying out the moisture (not going to be easy with no power available at the site!!)

As Denmarc said "multiple problems"....

Things might not be as bad (electrically) as you think.

First: The GFCI:  IF water ran down inside the wall, It may be there is still mositure there causing a ground fault, and the GFCI is thus workign as designed.. Fixing the ground fault will also fix the GFCI. To test this theory..

Remove the GFCI,  From the box  there will be two sets of wires, IN and OUT,  Disconnect and cap-off (USe the wire nuts) the OUT leads. LABEL them.

IF the box is full of water... Dry it out and replace the GFCI,, IF not  See if it will re-set now.. If it does, problem is "Down line" from it.  Good luck there.  (Check other outlets on that wall, also the patio outlet).  also look for any junction boxes

On the converter: Converters usually have one or two fuses, called "Reverse Polarity Fuses" when you do what you did, these fuses SHOULD blow, protecting the converter (one hopes) It may be all you need to do is

1: Find the fuses
2: UNPLUG
3: Replace the fuses
4: Plug back in

(Unplug may mean turn off generator)

Also what converter do you have.. I mean if it is something like a Magnetek 6300, replacing is indicated even if it is in "New and just out of the box" condition. 

Randy at Best Converters (www. and .com to find them) is a good online source.

Very helpful John From Detroit.

Thank you for being positive :)

I will try those ideas when I get up there... Any other ideas?

Thanks,

-Andrew

Back
Top Bottom