No power for the two "map reading" lights under the TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan4o

This question is hanging for some time.
I don't like things not functioning properly therefore I decided to ask:
Where those little lights under the TV are powered from? I discovered that currently there is no power in the wires Red (+) and White (-) - as in the photo.
1997 Triple E embassy

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_0045s.jpg
    IMG_0045s.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0014s.jpg
    IMG_0014s.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 7
Good chance those are "Dome Lights" (like in your car) and get their power from the Dome LIght terminal on the headlight dimmer switch. You need to rotate the dimmer to the "Dome Light on" position however you do that on your chassis. (Full clockwise on some.. Full UP on others)

Did you test for power with the key on?

Agree with John that they are dome lights. Depending on the sophistication of the chassis wiring they may be "auto off" lights that time out.

Do the lenses "push" in - sometimes that's the switching.

If the lights are under the TV that is mounted above the dash or your RV then I would suspect that John above is right if there is no switch on the light body. If not, look for a switch that is within reach from the driver's seat.

I am afraid the issue is not a switch but rather a fuse somewhere (or cable disconnect - I have a feeling that I've seen current in the red wire with a tester some time ago... There are no lenses on those lights - only a switch for each one - photo below.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 6
I am afraid the issue is not a switch but rather a fuse somewhere
Based on the pictures, I would agree that it probably doesn't have another switch, but our current travel trailer has 2 automotive type lights on the ceiling that are also switched by a wall switch so it could be true of yours as well. Am I correct to assume that you have used a votl/ohm meter and verified that the light sockets do not get power and that the bulbs are good?

Just trying to find a way to see where the other end of the wires is and then will check if there is power there...

So much trouble created by the 2 little lights... hate to feel helpless...

Just trying to find a way to see where the other end of the wires is and then will check if there is power there...
Any results yet? RV wiring can be really wierd and with Tripple E out of business doesn't help. As a last resort you could cut the existing wires and tape them, then run a new power lead with a fuse that you know the location.

our turns on using the dash lights dimmer switch. The switch rotates until it gets to maximum and then pushing a bit further and it will click. Then the lights can be turned on by the switches on the fixture. Chuck

our turns on using the dash lights dimmer switch. The switch rotates until it gets to maximum and then pushing a bit further and it will click. Then the lights can be turned on by the switches on the fixture. Chuck
I was going to add the same thing and then I noticed that our coaches are only 1 year and 2 feet apart. Makes sense they would operate the same.

So much trouble created by the 2 little lights... hate to feel helpless...

Almost assuredly they run down the A pillar behind the molding and emerge under the dash there. At least mine do a I just replaced the map light on mine.

Back
Top Bottom